Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You would look super ridiculous though lol
The problem with Google Glass was precisely because they looked like tech. If AppleWatch is any indication, Apple will aim for a fashion accessory that also happens to contain tech. Regular looking glasses with a transparent screen film over the lenses would be all that's necessary. I think that a camera on glasses will gain more acceptance over time but the first version may be better off without it.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Google Glasses were designed to obtain information. Apple seems to be going the route of displaying information. Big difference for privacy.

macUser2007

macrumors 65832
May 30, 2007
I know people will dismiss this as a probable repeat of the Google Glass failure, but if something in Apple's labs has them excited enough to actually do it, then I too am excited.
Hm, I haven't seen much exciting stuff come out of Apple's labs lately....

Touch bar and especially touch ID are derivative, and so is this project.

Project Titan seemed exciting, but it was apparently mismanaged and is now shuttered.

Hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Pikup Andropov

kdarling

macrumors P6
Cook said, “We always thought that glasses were not a smart move"
Typical Apple. Diss anything that the company does not sell... yet.

No not iGlasses. Apple Glasses
He was making a verbal pun. "iGlasses" == "Eye Glasses".

As for the privacy concerns, No Camera, solves the problem. Never understood the real need for the camera in Google Glass.
One of the very first eyeglass computer researchers, was a professor who was terrible at remembering names at the all important university research funding parties.

So he built himself a set of glasses where he'd snap a photo of each person as he met them, and enter their name via a hidden pocket keypad.

Then, when he ran into someone important later on, he'd trigger the glasses to show him the closest matches, so he could "remember" the person's name.

I can think of a million other uses for a camera as well.

The really stupid thing about the fear mongering that the anti-Google-Glass crowd did, was that it was actually pretty darn easy to tell when someone was videoing you with them. All the whining did was poison the well for any VR glasses that came after.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hmm a watch looks stylish and is timeless jewelry, but I can't see myself wearing smart glasses. Then again, this could change in a couple of years. Bring on the car instead.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
I know people will dismiss this as a probable repeat of the Google Glass failure, but if something in Apple's labs has them excited enough to actually do it, then I too am excited.

Apple lab: "Dongles! We love dongles! We are excited!"

Reactions: mkeeley

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
At the Apple Store
I doubt this will be something that will be worn full time in public like Google Glass was. I'm sure Apple has something more innovative up their sleeve than a Google Glass/AR copycat device.

Plus, for anyone who doesn't currently wear glasses, it'd be a hard sell. Many people can get used to wearing a watch, but glasses are quite distracting in comparison to a watch (at least in my opinion).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The problem with Google Glass was precisely because they looked like tech. If AppleWatch is any indication, Apple will aim for a fashion accessory that also happens to contain tech. Regular looking glasses with a transparent screen film over the lenses would be all that's necessary. I think that a camera on glasses will gain more acceptance over time but the first version may be better off without it.
Apple Watch looks bulky and not nice. Android watches look much better.
Btw you need battery and a bunch of other stuff. If you just put a film on top it won't work. Tech is not there to be cost effective and that it would work well.

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Not happening anytime soon (<5yr)..

People are getting their eyes lasered so they don't have to wear glasses. The only time this will be acceptable is if modern-day fashion moves to full futuristic bodysuits with visors. Till then Apple will heed the lesson learnt by Google.

Reactions: mkeeley and slu

efktd

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
USA
AppleWatch + Glasses + AirPods could be the 1-2-3 punch that gradually replaces the iPhone and sets Apple up for the next decade.

A full computer on your wrist and glasses that provide a place for larger visual information. AirPods in your ears for full time Siri interaction. That's all you need for a wearable computer environment.
/s ??

Reactions: mkeeley

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yep, anyone wearing these into a public restroom is going to get beat to a pulp.
Maybe if they were peering at my junk over the partition between the urinals, or holding them under the stall. Seriously, there is no threat here that a phone doesn't also present. As with any public place, people must be aware of their surroundings and people's behavior in them.

Apple including a camera in these glasses poses no more a threat than one in a watch, or an iPhone. All it takes is this one reminder to prove no camera is safe in anything where privacy is concerned:

SHOT ON AN iPHONE

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/14/dani-mathers-gym-pic-photo-police-report/

If cameras in wearables are banned, then they have to be banned in everything. My gym bathroom has a sign posted that clearly reads: "no cell phone use", for that very reason.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
At the Apple Store
Apple is perfectly positioned for AR.

Integration, miniaturization of chips, dedicated wireless transmission processors: that's Apple's bread and butter.

And look at the VR/AR scenario today: backpack CPUs, cables, or just plain failures like Glass. Super-clunky stuff ready for disruption and no clear market leader, exactly like the mp3 players market in 2001.
I really hope that Apple can completely revolutionize the market if/when they come out with something. Personally I think glasses would be an odd choice for a product, seeing as how not everyone wears glasses. Watches, I can understand, tons of people wear watches, but glasses, not as many people wear those. It would take a lot of convincing for me to start wearing glasses since I never have in the past.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Dude...if the glass actually reveals who the pedo-bears are....it would help parents take prevention interventions.

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
I guess Tim Cook really *is* Steve Ballmer 2.0.

*sigh*
Although I would really enjoy having a well-built and stylish Apple glass, I fear it may come down to them producing many prototypes that never see the light of day and for some unknown reason, at least unknown to us, we will never see them produced and Apple will just dismiss it like they did with their car initiative.

It's ok that Apple is exploring other options, but it's not ok for them to deviate from their roots. Ignoring the Mac is a huge mistake.
I agree with this, it's nice that they can pursue these other avenues and maybe discover some magical convergence point in the future however pursuing these tangents and disregarding their core product seems to be a big miss in my opinion. Although these new MacBooks do contain some good tech, I think the main impetus behind the large orders is that it has been so long since they have been refreshed that we are willing to buy anything just so that we don't spend money on technology that's several years old.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I still think the idea is interesting, the problem with google glass was the camera and the fact you could spot them a mile away. If they looked close to regular glasses then they may have something.