Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2016.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

AR will go somewhere, gradually or not. I love VR (games especially) but AR is more broadly useful for more things.

Google glass was an overhyped experiment, best kept in the labs. But Google AND Apple AND others will all likely do better things in future.

2. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Considering how much of a fashion brand Apple is these days, I can see them making different styles of glasses just like the watch bands. And if they make them look "sexy" and non intrusive enough, with a simple and elegant style, I can see people wanting to jump on board.

3. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Hey @Apple, thanks for the magical innovation.
    What about the people already wearing glasses? Double holds better, - as we use to say here in Germany. ;)

But as always, I believe in you, except you won't take my money anymore...

4. CaptainAndrew macrumors newbie

I can see Apple going more in the direction of Snapchat Spectacles than Google Glass. Heavy fashion angle (perhaps doing sunglasses only like Snap) + getting the core user story right = Success.

5. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Apple is perfectly positioned for AR.

Integration, miniaturization of chips, dedicated wireless transmission processors: that's Apple's bread and butter.

And look at the VR/AR scenario today: backpack CPUs, cables, or just plain failures like Glass. Super-clunky stuff ready for disruption and no clear market leader, exactly like the mp3 players market in 2001.

6. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Surely they'd look better than the Samsung VR goggles. That monstrosity is the epitome of "goofy tech".

7. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

I guess Tim Cook really *is* Steve Ballmer 2.0.

*sigh*

8. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

"They could be released in 2018."

That's some imagination you got there...

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You would look super ridiculous though lol

11. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Just use AR with phones..not glasses. However, I wouldn't mind if it was used for work purpose like hololens..editing videos with it.

12. AppleSauce007, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

AppleSauce007 macrumors member

Well, Apple's method will work much better than Google Glass because they are not trying to stuff 4G, GPS, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, WiFi, BlueTooth, Camera and compute engine into the glasses.

Apple already has an enhanced BlueTooth used in their new Beats Solo3 headset with excellent battery life. All they need is this enhanced BlueTooth, a Camera and minimal compute engine. Everything else including the AR engine can remain on the iPhone or iPad.

Outright Brilliant!

13. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Sounds profound, Phil. Practically magic.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

15. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

All I want from Apple at this point is timely spec updates on the products they offer, and not fall behind more than a year.

If this cannot be accomplished, fire Cook and get someone who can.

Make Apple Great Again!

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

and then implants. Seriously, it will happen in the next decade. Although there are many scary aspects to it as well I think it could be incredible to directly induce a signal to the optic nerves or to have direct neural computing interfaces.

I'm excited to see what Apple delivers. I'm a big fan of the Vive and the Hololens would be great if they could expand the field of vision (which will come with time). The biggest obstacle with something like this is the perception though, Google Glass failed due to privacy concerns and "creep" factor but it was cool tech that could have grown into something great. I think Apple has a better chance of getting past that, first of all because they are Apple and I believe more trusted in the area of personal privacy but secondly because of the walled garden; they may do something extreme to gain that initial acceptance like not allow storage of images from the cameras on the device. It could be worked back in once the general public has become more accepting of the tech in their lives.

I'll order both an Apple AR and VR unit on day one.

17. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

As for the privacy concerns, No Camera, solves the problem. Never understood the real need for the camera in Google Glass. If these work along lines of the watch and adding visuals to the eye, may have some practical as well as fun to use applications.

18. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I'm just waiting for Apple to release a Mac that only works when paired with an iPhone.

:p

19. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

They are different use cases though. VR is AMAZING for immersive content. If I want to explore the human body on a microscopic level as if I'm there, there's a great VR title out there that does it and its fantastic. AR is perfect to help us along in normal daily activities, GPS mapping that actually overlays arrows right on the road or even just notifications throughout the day unobtrusively appearing in the corner of your eye. I wouldn't want to watch a movie in AR, I wouldn't want my mapping app to be VR, each has a place.

And the bulk of the goggles will come down with time.

20. s1m macrumors 6502

I always liked the idea of Google Glass. Without a camera there are no privacy concerns. I like this idea - AR giving me information about my situation - for contacts it could show me the date of my last meeting with the person, flash up the location of meetings - stuff I look down at the watch for now. I wear glasses for driving so personally in all likelihood I would not be wearing these whilst driving - if they were integrated into regular glasses then a simple driving mode with limited information could be enabled.

I was really hoping for Google Glass to be successful.

21. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Many AR use cases require a camera to pull off. Notification, no. Identifying features of your surroundings, yes. On the other hand you don't have to allow it to save the images it uses.

22. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

23. AndresJC macrumors newbie

AndresJC

Apple Lens??

24. devinthomas macrumors regular

If these can power themselves wirelessly with an iOS device and be sold at a decent price Apple is gonna kill. Especially since they already have the relationships with designers for the Watch band, these same labels have eyewear collections. I'm pumped!

25. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I take issue with you assessment of the current products. The tech will shrink and get more efficient with time whether Apple jumps in or not. The first gen units out today (I have a Vive and Rift and Hololens as well as Gear VR and will have a Google Daydream soon) are really great pieces of tech, particularly the Vive. As mobile devices continue to deliver higher and higher GPU performance and efficiency we'll be able to ditch the tethers to gaming PCs and have great VR experiences in our pockets but that doesn't take away from what HTC and Oculus have delivered already.