Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2016.

1. steviebgr, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

steviebgr macrumors newbie

How many times have we heard from Apple that they weren't interested in a platform/gadget/other only to change course a few years later?

2. twinlight macrumors 6502a

twinlight

This won't be easy to make. For making it a good AR device it will need spatial recognition and be able to identify things quick and accurate. That will require quite good cameras and sensors. At the same time it has to be lightweight and stylish. Preferably something like the watch with plastic, aluminum and some third high end material. Different frames, colors and sizes. All at the same time as putting in alot of tech in them.

If going the sunshade route it better not be douch bag oakley. No sane person wears those..

Best feature would be user selected photo-chromatic coupled with uv sensor on watch or the night shift feature on the phone.

Another use could be privacy shades. Your glasses synchronized to your screen. Anyone else seeing a black or white screen only.

Ok I'm going way off now with wanted features on a product that doesn't exist and a story about some parts maybe ordered for prototyping design..

3. DUIduckSAUCE Suspended

DUIduckSAUCE

Like the watch?

4. elmaco, Nov 15, 2016

elmaco macrumors 6502

Hololeans is not a mobile product that you can wear all day. It has much less potential. It's like comparing a game console like XBox or PS4 to the smart phone market. The latter is perhaps 50 times as big.

Apple should not waste their engineering talent on something that only 2% will use.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    Yes, and let's not forget it was sold as Beta, only available in US and battery didn't last a whole day with normal use.

It was pricy, but I would have bought a pair if it would have been available where I live.

5. MacBergin macrumors regular

MacBergin

Don't put a camera on the glasses and the biggest problem with the Google Glass is solved. I'm sure Apple has its eyes on Snap Chat to see how those camera glasses succeed... or don't.

6. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I am being patronising, because you’ve destroyed a cable you’ve had for less than three months. You can’t be trusted with a wire.

7. deany, Nov 15, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Sorry you've lost the plot...of the replies if you can remember I stated I have had my iPhone for 25 months - only 22 months more than wrong quote.
    "You can’t be trusted with a wire"
    with respect you cant be trusted with your own memory.

>>
    "New products!! perhaps apple should get their quality right first on existing products
    (2nd iPhone cable and colleagues have same problem).
    Cost iPhone 6 £699.00 25 months ago shame on you apple I can get a knock off cable 'braided' for a fraction of the cost of a 'genuine' flawed apple cable.

[​IMG]
    "

8. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

You’re right, sorry I thought you said iPhone 7. That’s still disgusting though, maybe practice taking care of your stuff?

9. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Thanks for admitting you are wrong maybe you should practice not being so patronising - I hope for your sake your different in 'real life' when not hiding infont of a monitor.

10. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Let me say upfront that this isn't an insult: I'm wondering how old you are. I say that because I've been around long enough to see niche things make their way into exploding popularity. If you're old enough, you should remember that too.

Before the iPhone, the average person did not by any means want to carry a palm pilot or any other personal organizer in their pockets. It was very much a niche product. The same can be said for BlackBerry, the first device that did portable email well. Only some business people had them. The others wouldn't let you pry their fingers off their IBM ThinkPad in their briefcase. There were also pagers. Only a small segment of people had one.

All of these devices inevitably merged into one that had wide appeal to the ordinary person. And not even the first iPhone did that. It was only around the iPhone 3GS that it began to pick up real momentum. The AppleWatch isn't there yet. It's getting there with speed issues now resolved and a complex OS figured out. Once it gains independence through its own LTE chip, it'll find an ever growing wider audience and with accessories like AirPods and AR glasses, gradually replace the need for a slab of glass in your pocket.

The Watch is at about the same place as the second iPhone at this point. I'm now seeing them on wrists everywhere whereas the first gen, I was one of just a handful of people I knew who had one. Give it a couple more iterations to gain autonomy and for Siri to be perfected into the wearable generation's version of Multi Touch. Then the bigger picture will come into focus.

11. caraveo macrumors newbie

caraveo

12. cmaier macrumors G5

Would be useful to augment reality. As an example, if there's something you should notice, it could superimpose graphics to highlight it.

13. inscrewtable, Nov 15, 2016

inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Even if it were true that we have all collectively become such a nation of buffoons that we are incapable of remembering to plug the mouse in for a couple of hours over the next four days, (notwithstanding we somehow remember to charge our phones). Even if we were utterly incapable of recognising our buffoon nature and immediately set ourselves a reminder using the reminder app, or a phone alarm. Even if all this were true, then I simply say that 5 minutes of charging will get you to the end of the day, and no one is going to suffer from a 5 minute break.

And what if there were such incompetent buffoons doing such important work even though they are incapable setting themselves a reminder, then I'd say, 'stuff 'em', I don't want a charging port on my mouse that makes it easier for dust or crumbs to get in just for those fools.

I would suggest this work around... When you get the 10% notification, immediately set yourself a reminder timed for your next lunch break or timed for the next time you're going to leave your mouse for a length of time. How hard is that.

14. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Over 40 :p.

I respect your point, though in my case I own 2 Apple watches but in the end prefer my old school watch . while the Apple Watch was a novelty for me. I have a huge respect for the engineering that is a fine mechanical watch , though that is my opinion. I am also a huge love of tech, though in the case of smart watches...just has not worked out for me.

In my case the original iPhone won me over....it was rhe concept and not the tech refinements , same as rhe iPod etc...I knew those products would be a hit from when I first saw them, not the case with the Apple Watch .

I hope rhe watch becomes what you want it to be

15. 1 iron macrumors newbie

1 iron

16. Teon macrumors regular

Teon

change is inevitable, so they did not talk. I think that after 20 years Phone in its current form will cease to exist. Will what is incorporated in the human.

17. McCool71, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

McCool71 macrumors 6502a

Same here. I still think Google Glass is the coolest tech of the last 3-4 years or so (yep, that is how far Apple is behind the curve here...) by a huge margin. And I think the usefulness of devices like that will be decreased significantly if you remove the camera from it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 16, 2016 ---
    Recognize stuff. Translate text. And of course the obvious one: Use it as a camera either for video, photos or live streaming while communicating with someone on the other end, the latter part being potentially extremely useful in lots of situations and different types of work.

No camera, no sale for me at least.

18. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

ok how do you type in your email? how do you fix a typo that Siri failed to dictate? how do you type in a contact where the contact is using an Android phone (meaning, no airdrop)?