Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This was a pretty thin story. Not much there. Of course Apple prototypes all kinds of things. We have to assume they're prototyping VR and AR devices. Who knows what will come to market. I'm sure they prototyped an actual TV set but decided in favor of the TV box instead.

Reactions: bobob

kdarling

macrumors P6
Lots of zombies going around head down looking at a tiny screen in their hands or speaking in public apparently to themselves. That was a nightmare scenario to think about not more than 15 years ago. It is possible that an eye appendix will be considered "normal" in next 10 years

True, the distracted-pedestrian carnage at NYC street crossings could be worse than ever. (People are often run over now while staring at their phones.) Or perhaps being able to see through the data will help?

That's the direction products like this are probably headed. I don't think I'd want to be one of the early adopters of an electronic object that you put in your eye, though.

Many of us wore contacts back when they were fairly thick and quite solid, so I think it'd be okay. Much less obtrusive to others, although I bet you'd be able to see flashes in a person's eye to cue you in that they were wearing one :)

Btw, anyone know the status of Google's glucose sensing electronic contact lens? Last I heard, they were seeking FDA approval. It would immensely improve the lives of many diabetics.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Virtual Reality. Augmented Reality. That's a new thing isn't it?. Google did it a few years ago? So this is something really diff... Oh. It's just an idea being tested out. Ok. I'll come back later. Again. :oops:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Who said it was going to be glasses? The article says that suppliers indicated that Apple "has ordered small quantities of near-eye displays". Perhaps Apple will find a way to elegantly design a tiny heads up display that doesn't include a camera, just a source of low profile visual information. Combined with AirPods, this would make a powerful set of wearable peripherals to the iPhone. This type of technology is undoubtedly coming and I wouldn't be surprised to see that Apple is the company to find a way to make it work.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
[...] It is not clear how Apple would overcome the privacy and safety issues that Google faced [...]
No problem. The iOS fanbase enjoys uploading all their private data to Apple servers. They won't worry. They trust (well, they don't trust the FBI, but that's a minor exception). They'll buy it. The only question is if there's enough fanbase for making the product viable. Apparently, that wasn't the case for the Watch.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
It's ok that Apple is exploring other options, but it's not ok for them to deviate from their roots. Ignoring the Mac is a huge mistake.

I wouldn't say they ignored the mac. Well, maybe the pro and the mini. I feel like Intel is their biggest issue right now. They are in this holding pattern until they can create their own chips on their own time.

Reactions: Gasu E.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Eh, I am nervous if I put them on the world will suddenly look like this:
they-live-21.png

Reactions: Xi Xone and sofila

Trhodezy

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
This will possibly be the only Apple product that people won't vilify Apple for making thinner and lighter.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Yes I aways chew my cables, but only when pluged into the mains.
Plus your cable should not be shredded at all

It's four years old and it lives in my backpack. It's seen a beating. Your one should be fine, but apparently you don't know how to look after things so...

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Think about walking through an amusement park like Disney World with an overhead map displaying in the air in front of you showing you where you are then you ask Siri "take me to space mountain" and it shows you where it is in relation to where you are... Or you go to a large mall and ask "siri, show me where the Apple store is".

Sooooooo, Apple Maps and Siri..

I don't know where you'd end up but it would be an epic journey.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I know people love to hate on it, but AR really is going to be a big thing in the future, whether in glasses, windows, or car windshields. Better get used to it now. One thing's for sure, Apple's version will definitely look better than Google Glass.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
It's four years old and it lives in my backpack. It's seen a beating. Your one should be fine, but apparently you don't know how to look after things so...

I baby my iPhone(s) have done for nine years.
My colleague also looks after her iPhone
Its the second time in 4 years Apple are sending me a new one FREE

Re
"apparently you don't know how to look after things so..."

A tad patronising dont you think?

especially when you are wrong.

The fault is a known quality control issue by apple.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/08/22/what-frayed-lightning-cable/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/tired-...breaking-heres-an-indestructible-replacement/

etc etc etc

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
So is you stood in a crowded city centre on a Saturday afternoon and everytime a girl went by you held up and moved your iPhone towards her for all to see, you dont think people would find that a tad disturbing?

Basically thats what could / would happen with these glasses "you have no right to film or photograph me without my permission".

Actually, if you're in a public place, *ANYBODY* has the right to film or photograph you. With or without your permission.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Why ask for what any company can deliver? I want real market disruption from Apple. VR and AR are non starters at the moment with way too many players sniffing around and others introducing weak visions of future tech. No one is close to success yet. Maybe they're just waiting to see what Apple does but I feel most of them are just racing to get more investors or get their products out first without paying attention to the details that Apple usually gets right. I would give up on laptops and desktops completely if it would lead to a paradigm shift led by Apple.

Well, it seems right now they can't deliver what any company can deliver.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I wouldn't say they ignored the mac. Well, maybe the pro and the mini. I feel like Intel is their biggest issue right now. They are in this holding pattern until they can create their own chips on their own time.

Bull.... they've deliberately ignored a generation of intel processors in the mac pro. And besides on ALL their computers they could have updated them in countless other ways: (including but not limited to) RAM, SSD size, graphics, PRICE!!! etc.

To blame to rotting lineup of Macs on Intel is the greatest fallacy that continues to be spread on these forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Have you used an Apple Watch ? It's an iPhone accessory...it's not replacing the iPhone . The iPhone will always be the main unit , the others accessories

What lack of imagination. The iPod was a Mac accessory and gradually moved away to become independent. AppleWatch is only going to get more powerful and eventually untethered from the iPhone.

I already leave my iPhone at home when taking my dog for a walk, picking up WiFi signals on my AppleWatch along the way. Low power LTE chips are coming to market, which will enable small devices like a watch to use cellular service while maintaining reasonable battery life.

Having all of your personal computing on a device that you wear is an extraordinarily attractive proposition. Once it's possible, it'll absolutely take off and for many people, it'll replace their iPhones just like iPhones replaced the need to carry a laptop around for access to your data and communications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.