Apple to Build $2B 'Global Command Center' in Former GT Advanced Plant

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to take over the Mesa, Arizona factory where GT Advanced was formerly producing sapphire boules, transforming the facility into a massive $2 billion data center, reports CNBC. The data center will reportedly act as a "command center" for Apple's global data network.

[​IMG]
    According to Arizona Governor Doug Ducey, the center will house 150 full-time Apple employees and its construction at the 1.3 million square foot facility will create 300 to 500 additional jobs.
    In a statement, Apple called the investment one of the largest it had ever made and pledged that the facility would run on 100 percent renewable energy like the company's other data centers.
    After GT Advanced filed for bankruptcy and abandoned the Mesa, Arizona plant, there were questions about what Apple would do with the facility. GT Advanced's closure caused a massive loss of jobs in Mesa, but Apple pledged to find a way to repurpose the location and preserve jobs in the city.

Image courtesy of AZCentral

Article Link: Apple to Build $2B 'Global Command Center' in Former GT Advanced Plant

2. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

Currently...

Currently the global command center is in Tim Cooks Apple Watch

3. macintologist macrumors 6502

Since October when a federal judge struck down Arizona's gay marriage ban, I think companies like Apple are more likely to feel comfortable doing business in this otherwise conservative state.

4. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

Ha! money isn't conservative or liberal...

5. Daalseth macrumors 6502a

May be some of that but it's my understanding that Apple got some really nice concessions from AZ in order to open the GT plant. They were kinda committed to doing something with the site.

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I hope the original owners of GT Advanced get prosecuted. They are scammers.

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So should Apple not do business in states or countries that don't jive with Tim Cook's personal political views? I'm sure there are places less friendly to gays than Arizona that Apple does business in.

8. Olivier Giround macrumors member

9. nazaar macrumors 6502a

nazaar

10. Macboy Pro macrumors 6502a

Heck, why not stop doing business with anyone that doesn't agree with his liberal views? Oh, that would alienate half of his customers. :)

11. Deelron macrumors regular

Doing business with different views, no, but differing status of his employees (or himself), that I could see.

12. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I love Apple and all, but... didn't they basically BANKRUPT GT Advanced by not using the sapphire in the latest phone, now they get a discounted company to purchase as a result. Nice hostile Takeover.

13. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

The conversation probably went more like this:

Person A: Hey we have a big awesome modern facility in AZ, what should we do with it?

Person B: We need a new data center. Lots of sunshine for renewable energy, and short plane ride from cupertino.

Person A: Sounds good.

14. jtmarine73 macrumors member

jtmarine73

Ask China how they feel about Gay marriage. This statement (the original one) was moronic. Companies don't care about the politics of the state, unless those politics are costing them more in taxes.

15. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

Build a data center in one of the hottest regions in our country - Where you are at the mercy of massive air conditioning units? Makes no sense unless they are getting another huge tax incentive, which does zero for the environment. Why not look for more areas like Prineville Oregon, where energy is cheap and temperatures are reasonable.

16. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

True. Money will go where it can make the most return.

Nice misspelling of "Giroud". Unless you're an "Aurnsenal" fan.

17. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Happy to see that something is being done with this recent manufactured fail. But will it happen? Command center for Apple's global HQ? I wouldn't be surprised if outsiders are lobbying for these jobs to be outsourced.

18. jtmarine73 macrumors member

jtmarine73

More like GT couldn't meet deadlines or quality. Owners knew it, and the company was in trouble, so they took the deal as a last ditch effort to make money. Owners bailed and left the stockholders with nothing. Apple funded everything GT lost.

19. powertoold macrumors 6502

$2 billion investment... creates 500 jobs... welcome to middle class pergatory

20. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Lots of sunlight in AZ for cheap solar power. It's almost as competitive with coal now, with prices expected to drop further: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

21. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Does this mean I will have to wait for this center to be built before I can download 8.1.3, Apple TV update?? Only took one day to download Itunes12.1 update:confused:

22. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Looks like Arizona got Apple Care protection plan...

23. xionxiox macrumors regular

xionxiox

How many people do you think it requires to run a data center?

24. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

"Global command center" lol sounds so G.I.Joe

25. 2457282 Suspended

Maybe this will help resolve focus strategy and resources on addressing so many issues with the current state of iCloud.

- Photo
    - Drive
    - Pricing
    - etc.