Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_diagonal-250x244.jpg
Apple will introduce a fifth-generation Apple TV with 4K video support at an event planned for September, reports Bloomberg. The device is said to feature a faster processor to support 4K streaming, which has twice the resolution in each dimension of the 1080p streaming supported on the current fourth-generation Apple TV and four times as many pixels.

In addition to 4K support, which will only be available on a 4K television, the new set-top box will support High Dynamic Range (HDR) video for brighter, more accurate colors.

Apple is also said to be testing a new version of its TV app that is designed to better highlight live TV content, aggregating live shows from apps that offer live streaming, and it is establishing deals with content makers to provide 4K video.
In order to play 4K and HDR content, Apple will need deals with content makers that can provide video in those formats. The Cupertino, California-based technology giant has begun discussions with movie studios about supplying 4K versions of movies via iTunes, according to people familiar with the talks. The company has also discussed its 4K video ambitions with content companies that already have apps on Apple TV, another person said.
We've known Apple has had a new Apple TV with 4K support in the works for some time, and while there were hints that a launch was imminent, there was no confirmation that the device would be introduced in September prior to today.

The Apple TV was last updated in October of 2015, which is when the redesigned fourth-generation set-top box with Siri Remote and a full App Store was introduced.

Along with a new 4K Apple TV, we're also expecting to see a third-generation Apple Watch with LTE support and three new iPhones, including a radically redesigned 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display and facial recognition at Apple's September event.

Article Link: Apple to Debut Apple TV With 4K HDR Support at September Event

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Gurman has really gotten into a habit of regurgitating the same info into these unnecessarily long articles during his time at Bloomberg. I guess they want it dumbed down for the general public, but it feels like he milks every bit of info over and over.

I mean, iPhone 8, cellular Watch and 4K TV have been rumoured for a while, and now he makes it sound like a whole new story.

Reactions: McTool

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
I would love it if the price comes down compared to the current models. I think the Apple TV is a good product but the price is a bit too high for what it offers compared to other products. But I won't be surprised at all if they keep their price points.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
AT&T has a 1TB Data cap unless your on there 1000 Mbps Fiber connection. That is the only plan that has no cap. And I live in Delray.

I have Fiber so I guess that is why also if you have DirecTV or your mobile phone through them they remove caps too.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Gurman has really gotten into a habit of regurgitating the same info into these unnecessarily long articles during his time at Bloomberg. I guess they want it dumbed down for the general public, but it feels like he milks every bit of info over and over.

I mean, iPhone 8, cellular Watch and 4K TV have been rumoured for a while, and now he makes it sound like a whole new story.

He's like CNN now. Every little tidbit is "BREAKING NEWS!" His twitter is littered with obvious stories labeled as "big scoop!"

Reactions: Huck and profets
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.