Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I'm not going to lie, I've never watched anything in 4K. I don't own a blueray player and don't subscribe to cable TV.

My Sony is about 4 years old but not a 4K just 1080p, is 4K that much better?

I mainly just stream YouTube or watch my iTunes content.

YouTube 4K support is getting better - HDR is coming.
iTunes content should be updated, but SD/HD prices might drop to make room for a new 4K option (which you might not gain rights to depending on your purchases). However, Netflix and Amazon are really pushing it, and 4K HDR is substantially better than regular 1080p. But, 4K itself isn't all that impressive without the extended color gamut, so make sure whatever television you get has HDR. Whenever someone says they don't think HDR makes that much difference, I tend to think they haven't seen real 4K HDR vs 1080p. Old Blurays will look like a DVD compared to UHD with HDR.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Don't plan on upgrading my 1080 P TV until 4K TVs significantly drop in price, so this has no interest for me
I don't plan on updating until my 1080 or 720p (bedroom) panels die. 4K is nice but 1080p is more than sufficient for my great room. I sit 12' from the TV and doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. HDR, probably, but I have yet to see it to confirm reports. Honestly half the time I'm on my phone while watching like most people anyway.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
But the really important question is - Will Apple TV get a native Youtube TV app? (Please :))

iOS update should make its way to tvOS soon. AirPlay just isn't cutting it, and they just opened the service up to my area so now I'm waiting for the same update. Can't believe Hulu got theirs unified before YouTube.

Reactions: SpartanOLP

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Stop calling it an Apple TV. It's an Apple TV box.

An Apple TV is what it should be. With a flat thin screen as wide as a pencil.
Right, as much as I prefer Apple TV experience over Amazon Fire TV, Roku, etc., it's another box I need to plug into a TV and dedicate one of the inputs to.

I would love Apple-branded TV set with a motion sensor to detect when someone is nearby and show appropriate contents and respond to Siri commands.

Cyranis

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
1000 gig cap - 350gigs of normal use
4k uses 11.25 gigabytes per hour. So 57 hours of streaming a month. 3 TV's in my house, all streaming. That will be gone in 3 days.

It's just not viable

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
HDR makes a bigger difference than 4k, but I love my 4k HDR set and wouldn't go back to 1080.

I understand the concerns about data caps from another poster, but I have no cable TV, I stream everything, and have not passed 350GB in a month. I suppose, for those that stream 24/7, or have multiple people streaming frequently, it would be a problem.

4K? Seriously noticeably difference, particularly on larger panels (sorta why I don't really get the super HiDPI panels on some android phones).

HDR? Less so, depends a bit more on the content itself, the television, and the source, but it too can be very pronounced.

Interesting difference of opinion. Since I have neither and haven't done a lot of research but from the little I know HDR provides a deeper colours and blacks while pretty self explanatory 4k a sharper picture. I'm guessing the distance you sit from the TV would probably decide which of the two will make the biggest difference overall?

A 65" 4k HDR OLED is definitely on my wish list but even when on sale for around $4500 Canadian still a bit too expensive for my liking. Unless it gets down to at least $3000 I'll probably wait till my 1080p plasma kicks the bucket.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I understand the concerns about data caps from another poster, but I have no cable TV, I stream everything, and have not passed 350GB in a month.

I laugh when I see posts like this. If you streamed everything with any sort of regularity, simple math shows 350GB a month ... 4K\HDR content streams an average of 10GB per hour. That means 30 hours a month... aka one hour a day, would burn your 350gb without ever turning on your computer. 3 hours a day would surpass the cap without any other data use.

With that said, most companies allow you to buy packages of discount data packs on top of the 1TB cap. Like any new technology, if you want to be bleeding edge, you pay a premium. No different.

Reactions: tooloud10

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I've actually grown to love the remote of my 4th gen Apple TV. I hated it at first, but now I think it's excellent. The iOS app specifically for the 4th Gen is also much better than Apple's old "Remote" app.

I don't get the remote hate... has anyone tried going back to using the old remote or even the amazon fire remote? It's paaaaainful. The new remote is the single biggest reason to get the 4th gen ATV, IMO.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
This is interesting for me to play my own photos as slideshows in 4K if it works properly and that is a big if. I never got my current Apple TV to stream my photos from my Mac fast enough so that it is a enjoyable experience. So I always unplug the Apple TV and plug the HDMI into my MBP.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Where I live, if you want internet. You get Comcast. Period.
Same here. And they just turned on 1tb cap in my area in December. But I went ahead with the fee for unlimited since I regularly went over 1tb.

tich

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I don't get the remote hate... has anyone tried going back to using the old remote or even the amazon fire remote? It's paaaaainful. The new remote is the single biggest reason to get the 4th gen ATV, IMO.
Agreed. New remote is great, although I wouldn't mind it being slightly bigger. Also it's so symmetrical that when you pick it up it's hard to tell which way you're holding it without looking. Kind of annoying in a dark room.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
He's like CNN now. Every little tidbit is "BREAKING NEWS!" His twitter is littered with obvious stories labeled as "big scoop!"

Exactly. It’s getting painful to follow him on Twitter. Makes a big deal and links to an article, but it ends up being old info padded with nonsense.

Miss the days when he really got good scoops.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.