Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman312

macrumors 6502
There is a 98% chance of this not happening. At the start of this year there was an article.......https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

It included a email from a unnamed person to Steve Jobs the former CEO of Apple inc.
Q: "Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!! "

A: "We have no plans to."

Sent from my iPhone

I hope this is still correct I am planning on buying a classic at the end of this year for a christmas present for my self :) (I have had the 2-4th Gen ipod touch) and just got a HTC phone but I still like iOs so I still use the ipod touch 4th gen a bit but since it is only 8GB..... my music collection won't fit on it. So the 4th Gen will be for my fav songs and I will probably have the classic in my car and I will take it on longer trips with me.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I think a new ipod classic wouldn't be that bad of an idea. If it held incredible amounts of memory. I have a couple of friends who actually fill up their iPods.

I mean it wont be that popular, i doubt the ipod classic is that popular now anyways. But I think there is still a market for one last run of the classic, before it gets the axe.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Apple owes the iPod, if it is going to axe it at least the iPod Classic deserves to go out in style with a Farewell Special Edition of a new iPod Classic with 500GB and a cool new design. I bet they would sell lots of them.

500 GB with a boring design would even be good!

At least offer us a 160 GB iPod Touch!

When the first color iPod screen came out (no video) it was $600 for the 60 GB version. Surely we can do better than that and have large storage...

Gary

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
Bummer...

I really like my iPod classic but I like my iPhone 4 more. I take both when I travel. :apple:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I have one of the original ipods... It's nowhere as slick as either of these models. I say let it die... They had a good run, and we aren't exactly lacking any other ipod models.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Bummer,

I've actually wanted to get another classic when the updated it again, I like having lots of music and being able to use it as a USB drive.

Al1n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Don't really care...
I haven't used my Classic since i got a 1st gen Touch.

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
also,

I really like my iPod classic but I like my iPhone 4 more. I take both when I travel. :apple:

I like that I have my entire music catalogue in a my pocket. They should never discontinue it. It is a staple like the record player. The yshould keep it and improve the quality of the digital sound. I feel robbed w/ all the compression. Still, it beats schlepping CDs. :apple::apple:

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Does this mean Steve Jobs is a liar???

This is a quote from a response to an email sent to Jobs:

Q: Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!!

A: We have no plans to.

Source:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

There is a 98% chance of this not happening. At the start of this year there was an article.......https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

It included a email from a unnamed person to Steve Jobs the former CEO of Apple inc.
Q: "Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!! "

A: "We have no plans to."

Or, you know, plans change over time. :rolleyes:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I hope not. When it comes to a pure music device you don't get much better than the iPod classic. Good battery, good sound quality, massive storage, sturdy... it's an all around great product.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Does this mean Steve Jobs is a liar???

This is a quote from a response to an email sent to Jobs:

Q: Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!!

A: We have no plans to.

Source:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

Yeah, well, Steve has also said:

-No one wants to watch video on an iPod [followed by the iPod video]
-No Apple cell phone [followed by the iPhone]
-No one reads anymore [followed by the iBookstore]
-No App Store for OS X [followed by the Mac App Store]
-No option to choose between mute and orientation lock for iPad switch [followed by just such a setting]
-No tablet [followed by the iPad]
-No third party apps on the iPhone
-No need for a camera on the iPod touch

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
someone mentioned somewhere that the classic could become sort of like a portable wireless music server like the kingston wi-drive. I think that would be a very cool idea and think that apple could sell many of these. however with an iCloud push this probably would not happen.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

They could just bump the capacity, add a touch screen larger than the nano, but smaller than the touch. Make it work like the current nano (with video capability), but market it as a portable media device/external hard drive combo. 500gb would be enough for such a device, but I'm not sure there's a 1.8" drive with that capacity ATM, even a dual platter...

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
While i am not surprised that this is happening, prices for flash storage are coming down-an ipod touch with over 100GB will be here very soon

BBCWatcher

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Maine
The iCloud service means it's no longer quite as important to carry around huge collections of media files. That said, if Apple introduces a super-iPod touch model with 128GB of flash (at $399 where the 64GB model is now), there's not really any reason to keep the iPod Classic around. I think that's what they'll do.

Yes, the iPod shuffle is going away. Bye bye.

That leaves the iPod nano. I assume they'll keep the nano and just tweak it a bit. But what about replacing the nano with a fixed function mini iPod touch? It would run iOS, and it would have wifi/Safari/iCloud/Facetime support (probably no Bluetooth or GPS), but the flash would start at 4GB (with optional 16GB model), the screen would be reduced in size and resolution (~2.5 inch 480x320 non-IPS for example), it'd operate full time in landscape mode (for keyboards to work effectively on the smaller screen, and no orientation sensor needed), the processor and memory would be entry-level (e.g. no speech support), there'd be no built-in microphone and probably no built-in speaker (headset for those; maybe a simple bell speaker for simple alarms), and the starting price would drop to $129 (to cover the loss of the shuffle a bit).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.