Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odog402

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
It's sad to see it retired, but it's about time. Phones have assumed the responsibility of a media player.

It's pretty crazy how Apple resurged themselves by first conquering the portable music world before conquering the world.

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2011
for all the people complaining that they want nothing but music without all the touch crap in a device, couldn't you get a zune? I know it was massively unsuccessful but a lot of music fanatics I know tell me it can play better quality music and absolutely strong as hell.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just because in iOS5 the iPod app is being called music is not a sign,
It's been like that on the iPod touch for awhile,

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
for all the people complaining that they want nothing but music without all the touch crap in a device, couldn't you get a zune? I know it was massively unsuccessful but a lot of music fanatics I know tell me it can play better quality music and absolutely strong as hell.

As a device I actually liked it better.

Problem is I have such an established iTunes library I really don't want to start all over again. Furthermore the customization options in the Zune software is very limited, especially in the smart playlist category.

mattnotis

macrumors regular
May 9, 2010
Riiight because multimedia players are a thing of the past. File sizes aren't getting any bigger right? People's digital libraries are shrinking so there is no need to have a huge 160GB iPod Classic right?

Better kill of macs too since this is the post "personal computer" era now! Its all about the iPhone and iPad screw everything else! Besides Macs are making less of a profit than the iPods, why bother having them too!?

(Before someone comes at me, those statements are sarcasm)

Really kills me how there are so many pro-product killers on this site. So what if they're still around, they still have their own purpose. Its not hurting your iOS device in anyway. Its not like development is getting taken away in the development of iPod Shuffle and iPod Classic, they've been the same device essentially since 2007.

iPod Classic still sells and seems to always be second only to the iPod Touch in sales on Amazon. The iPod Classic is in a league of its own, it has no real competition capacity-wise. It'd be foolish to discontinue it, but this is apple we are talking about here. The same company that stripped the 6th gen nano of features and made a buttonless shuffle.

The theory is that by killing these two products they think the users will jump ship to one of their iOS devices which is simply not true.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Well-said, sir.

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009

I don't think it would work with most car stereos, iHomes, whatever says "Made For iPod".

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
iPod House

I have an iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPod shuffle and iPod nano (org gen and newest).

iPhone: Use it all the time for everything.
iPod Touch: Never use it. Was an apple TV remote, but now we really just use our phone since it is typically in our hands while watching TV. (Before we got the iPhones they were always in our hands.)
iPod shuffle: I have tried all my iPods and this is the only one I feel safe using while biking. (Which is how I go anywhere under 10 miles away.)
iPod nano (org ten): The battery is crappy, so it sits in a speaker dock in the kitchen.
iPod nano (newest): fine when i go for a walk, but I rarely use it.
iPod Classic: I have no idea where it is. Got lost in the last move and never located it.

-MaK-

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
have you guys realized that in the keynote invitation there are 4 icons (like on the ipod nano) with one a clock (could hint to the nano wearable as a watch) the phone logo (nano as monitor for iphone) maps (nano as voice assistant via bluetooth?) AND as a calender (reminder for appointents etc.) maybe these icons/apps will be added to the new nano which makes it possible to navigate through the iPhone via bluetooth and voice (through headphones).....

makes sense?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
have you guys realized that in the keynote invitation there are 4 icons (like on the ipod nano) with one a clock (could hint to the nano wearable as a watch) the phone logo (nano as monitor for iphone) maps (nano as voice assistant via bluetooth?) AND as a calender (reminder for appointents etc.) maybe these icons/apps will be added to the new nano which makes it possible to navigate through the iPhone via bluetooth and voice (through headphones).....

makes sense?

I for one never wear a watch because I have my iPhone. I could see how that would be cool for coolness sake, but I don't see that happening with Apple. Don't forget that the current generation iPod Nano doesn't run iOS.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

makes sense?

Wtf? No...no, not at all! Those ideas are far fetched and based off of nothing. Who the hell would navigate through an iPhone via bluetooth on an iPod nano? This makes no sense.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
The iPod classic has it's purpose. Most folks I know that have one don't use it for on the go and such, but rather keep it in their car, and use it for music that way. Others keep it connected to their expensive sound system. The classic stores so much, and is very simple and easy to use. Because of this, I see it used in the two applications I mention these days.

If you want an iPod to run with and such, get the other iPods. The classic has it's purpose, and frankly, I think it still has reasons to stay.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Does this mean Steve Jobs is a liar???

This is a quote from a response to an email sent to Jobs:

Q: Hello, I've heard a LOT of speculation that Apple is looking to kill the iPod Classic because it wasn't updated on Sept. 1st, and that a lot of people would rather Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the best iPod in the line. PLEASE DON'T KILL IT!!!

A: We have no plans to.

Source:
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/22/steve-jobs-no-plans-to-discontinue-ipod-classic/

Jobs answered the question according to the state of things at that time. Plans may have changed

That said, I suspect the shuffle is dead with perhaps the nano dropping in price. The Classic could stick around one more year while th whole icloud etc is launched but with no changes yet again and next year it will drop out for good

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
classic is positively ancient. find myself touching the screen and it not working!!!!!! :mad:

so just because the screen on yours isn't working it's ancient? Makes no sense at all.

I love my classic, mine comes to work with me every day and I should grab a 160GB soon then.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I can understand Apple not updating them... but what purpose does it serve to stop making them altogether? They still serve very specific purposes.

And comparatively a very small group. So why spend money on something to serve such a limited audience when they can spend that money on something that will push sales in the larger group.

Kind of like them ***** up Final Cut by changing up he interface to better suit the vast prosumer market versus keeping the UI the way the smaller pro group liked it. Or axing a software said smaller group considered vital and putting the major, but not all features into another program

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That leaves the iPod nano. I assume they'll keep the nano and just tweak it a bit. But what about replacing the nano with a fixed function mini iPod touch? It would run iOS, and it would have wifi/Safari/iCloud/Facetime support (probably no Bluetooth or GPS), but the flash would start at 4GB (with optional 16GB model), the screen would be reduced in size and resolution (~2.5 inch 480x320 non-IPS for example), it'd operate full time in landscape mode (for keyboards to work effectively on the smaller screen, and no orientation sensor needed), the processor and memory would be entry-level (e.g. no speech support), there'd be no built-in microphone and probably no built-in speaker (headset for those; maybe a simple bell speaker for simple alarms), and the starting price would drop to $129 (to cover the loss of the shuffle a bit).

Would be sort of odd...no way iOS could be redone to support landscape mode with apps all coming on board. Not to mention having iOS device only sort of ruins Apple's hold a still large market, no more MP3 players, all PDAs of 211. Sort of odd for a business that says it has 3 legs, Mac, iOS and iPod. Can't the shuffle going away along with the Nano being more high end. If anything, the nano would replace the shuffle if price went down.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Aw no! I really need to buy a new iPod, but I can't yet. Mine is like 5 years old and I finally maxed it out. The iPod is essential to me because it can hold ALL of my music whereas my iPhone certainly cannot.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Pretty scary that iphone makes up the largest chuck of Apple business. Iphone 5 better be a hit.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
I have been using my 20 GB 4th Gen for what, 6, 7 years? Still works flawlessly. Same with a first Gen nano. And my sisters' 3rd Gen nanos. All work perfectly. So, what was it about all these drives crapping out?

No iPod Nano uses an HDD and when you buy a used Classic you have no clue how many times it has been dropped and thrown around. My Classic's HDD is craping out and it's only 4 years old, but I abuse it.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
And comparatively a very small group. So why spend money on something to serve such a limited audience when they can spend that money on something that will push sales in the larger group.

Kind of like them ***** up Final Cut by changing up he interface to better suit the vast prosumer market versus keeping the UI the way the smaller pro group liked it. Or axing a software said smaller group considered vital and putting the major, but not all features into another program

Do you honestly see someone who's primary interest is the Classic switching to a iPad or iPod touch in their current designs? I sure don't. I think it would just hurt profits, even if small. Dropping a product usually involves a higher cost to produce vs demand. The iPod Classic has been consistently 2nd to iPod Touch on Amazon. Hell the Nano is actually the one struggling in the line it seems.

Final Cut was on a completely different scale, Final Cut is a program designed towards developers it isn't a program that's designed to be used by jo-blo for youtube videos. I'm sure refunds, extremely poor reviews, and massive amounts of complaints did this. Not a small minority of complaints.

Last edited:

lexusford

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I understand the Shuffle is only $50.00 and only 2gb but I love mine. Its great when Im working in the yard or what not, and I'm not worrying about getting my iPhone destroyed using it to just listening to my music. It's a great product that fits a need for a lot of people. I just guess Apple isn't making enough money (ie, Profit). I know a lot of my friends have purchased them because, in our opinion we felt it was a great value for the money. Oh well I guess they will be coming out something even better that I will have to buy. lol

And I love buying more stuff from Apple. Now I'm LMAO.

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
i say for the 10th edition make a iPod classic that has the same size.... only make the whole device touchscreen..... and keep the 160gb..... i would buy....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.