Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Offer a CDMA (Verizon) Version of Next iPad?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

DigiTimes reports that Apple is expected to release three different versions of the next generation iPad in 2011. These include Wi-Fi, UMTS (3G) and CDMA versions with mass production starting as early as late January.
Apple will ship about 500,000-530,000 units to channels in January with shipment ratio of Wi-Fi, UMTS and CDMA models at 3:4:3, according to industry sources, citing upstream component makers.
Apple presently ships two distinct versions of the iPad in three different storage capacities (16GB, 32GB, and 64GB). The two current versions include a Wi-Fi only version and a 3G version which supports the AT&T network in the U.S.

Adding a CDMA version would allow the iPad to be sold on the Verizon network in the U.S. as well as other CDMA networks around the world. While mass production will begin in late January, the launch of the next iPad is expected "by the end of the first quarter or the beginning of the second" according to DigiTimes' sources.

Article Link: Apple to Offer a CDMA (Verizon) Version of Next iPad?

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
For the $130 price premium over wifi only versions they should be able to offer universal access (CDMA/GSM etc.)

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
yeah wondering why they couldn't have put in a hybrid umts/cdma chip that has been around the news ever since verizon iphone rumors started.

It would make it much more appealing and 3 less skus (assuming they continue with the three storage sizes)

Suspended
Jun 8, 2009
Kentucky, USA
ugh, why can't they just put both chips in a 3G version?
And I wish they would just future proof it and put in LTE
Why is the 3G version so much more expensive anyway?

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
ugh, why can't they just put both chips in a 3G version?
And I wish they would just future proof it and put in LTE
Why is the 3G version so much more expensive anyway?
The 3G version also comes with GPS, which the Wi-Fi one does not.

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Isn't CDMA 3G? I thought they would make them 4G and make them available on the LTE network for Verizon.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
CDMA is a North American standard. The rest of the world uses GSM although the new standard LTE (4G) is more of a convergence of world standards. CDMA was essentially a North American standard competing with GSM. Don't really see the need for a CDMA version when most carriers in N. America are going to HSPA (3.5G) and then LTE....

ThePimento

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
Texas
If (when) Verizon starts to sell the new iPad, I hope they still have a bundle that's just the WiFi version + MiFi. It would be more useful for me to have the MiFi (to use my MacBook and other wireless devices) than a CDMA iPad.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is it annoying that completely different technology is used for phones?

Also has it taken this long for a Verizon iPhone because of the tech barrier? Or because Verizon want to slap a big logo on the iPhone and stick a bunch of pre-loaded Apps on it?

Last edited:

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
This really wouldn't be surprising at all considering it's not very "Apple like" to have to carry two devices around.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Isn't CDMA 3G? I thought they would make them 4G and make them available on the LTE network for Verizon.
Nah, Apple releases iDevices that work with the world's predominant cellular technologies, hence a 2.5G/EDGE iPhone in 2007 while the world was still building out their 3G HSPA networks.

While many of the world's cellular carriers have committed to LTE, there is only one major market where it is actively being deployed: the U.S. Everyone else is planning to build out LTE in 2012.

Heck, the LTE spec isn't even complete. And it is very ikely that the first-generation LTE chips (which aren't even on the market) will be expensive and power-hungry.

Based on their history, it is unlikely that Apple would offer any iDevice with LTE in 2011. There's a slight chance in 2012, but more likely they would not offer LTE-based iDevices until 2013.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
-CDMA will be around for a long time to come. These iPads will be in a dumpster long before CDMA is dead.

-The vast majority of Americans do not travel internationally or do not do it enough to base their cell phone buying on a global technology. Those who do travel internationally a lot will not get a CDMA device but there's a huge market of people who just don't give a damn about international compatibility, global standards, and what percent of the world's population uses what standards.

-CDMA is dying at the same time GSM is dying. LTE is not backwards compatible so from what I understand everything sold today will be a paperweight at some point in the future anyway.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I think Apple should get rid of the wifi only iPads. Just keep the 3G and possibly the CDMA version (why not a hybrid version?). It´s so not Apple to have 6 versions of the same product.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
-CDMA will be around for a long time to come. These iPads will be in a dumpster long before CDMA is dead.

-The vast majority of Americans do not travel internationally or do not do it enough to base their cell phone buying on a global technology. Those who do travel internationally a lot will not get a CDMA device but there's a huge market of people who just don't give a damn about international compatibility, global standards, and what percent of the world's population uses what standards.

-CDMA is dying at the same time GSM is dying. LTE is not backwards compatible so from what I understand everything sold today will be a paperweight at some point in the future anyway.

Bravo.

Who are all these ninnies talking about a CDMA iPad being pointless?

Yeah, and lets ship the next Macbooks without USB ports because, you know, lightpeak is coming soon. Get real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.