Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It appears that Apple will be allowing users to select "Personal Pickup" when placing iPhone 6 pre-orders, which means that users may be able to pick up their iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus at an Apple retail store on launch day, September 19, rather than waiting for it to be shipped to their homes.

Apple's retail iPhone page suggests that in-store pickup will indeed be available, noting that users can have an iPhone shipped for free or pick it up in store.

iphone_6_iphone_6_plus1.png
iPhone 6. Pre-order online starting September 12. The big day is coming. Pre-order iPhone 6 and have it shipped to you for free, or pick it up in store. You can also buy at the Apple Retail Store beginning at 8:00 a.m. on September 19.
9to5Mac has confirmed the information with several retail stores and an online chat representative, who told the site that there will be in-store pickup options available at "most stores" with the option existing "while supplies last."

Though Apple did not offer in-store pickup for the iPhone 5s or the iPhone 5c, it has offered the option for pre-orders in the past. With the iPhone 4, for example, Apple accepted reservations for in-store pickup on launch day.

With that device launch, Apple had two separate lines outside of retail stores, one for those who were waiting in line to buy a device and one for those who had made a reservation during the pre-order period. It's likely a Personal Pickup option for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders will work similarly.

Pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will begin at 12:01 AM Pacific Time tonight, with the device becoming available in retail stores on September 19.

Article Link: Apple to Offer In-Store Pickup Option for iPhone 6 Pre-Orders

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
The question being, will you have to wait in a long line or not? Curious how quickly that second line will move.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I'd rather pick up in store so I don't have to wait around all day for the Fed Ex guy to show up at 9pm. They're going to be slammed that day!

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I want to avoid the stores as much as I can. I hate the crowds and all that anxiety.
Nothing better than relax and let the FedEx guy deliver it to your door.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Awesome.

All I need to find out now is if the Apple Store will allow me to do the AT&T Next program in store (with a pre-order).

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
you must trust your carrier. Personally, the horror stories i've heard about the drivers makes me not trust then. Granted, I know a company like Fed Ed or UPS would accept responsibility if something goes wrong but it's having to go through the steps of ordering another and having to wait.......

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I'd be worried about some screw up where the specific model I order isn't available for some reason when I get to the store.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I want to avoid the stores as much as I can. I hate the crowds and all that anxiety.
Nothing better than relax and let the FedEx guy deliver it to your door.

My brother is a FedEx driver. There are two companies he hates but is forced to love because they keep him employed: Amazon and Apple. :D

kwizatz

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I made the mistake of picking up in store the day of the iPhone 4 launch. Even though I had pre-ordered, I still had to wait in line for about 4 hours to get the phone. Just get it shipped to your house -- you might even get it early.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Guys, don't forget that Costco will have the iPhone 6 and 6+ on launch day, but most likely 16gb models on contract only...

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I did the store pick up last year. What you guys should know is that while you might have to be in line for a bit, you are sure to leave with a phone, I believe I was in and out in about an hour. This is not the same as going to a store blindly and hoping to score a phone.

With that said, does any body know if it's possible to go to the apple store and do a upgrade transfer to get the phone? Or has anybody done anything similar in the past? Thanks.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
10 million is not enough

Me think the 10 million iPhones scheduled to be available in September will not be enough. I suspect I will have to wait until October. No I will not stay awake tonight to pre-order. I am too old.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Apple must be feeling more confident than in past year's about their launch day inventory. I'm happy with that but know that everything will be in short supply with all of this hype.

NSeven

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Scotland
Its all about being 1st in the queue!!

i mean look how happy :)

10403361_10202326145185284_6184369959008902662_n.jpg

I love being 1st

Last edited by a moderator:

kavabuggy

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
houston, tx
So...

I'll be on vacation all next week, and won't return home until 4 days after launch. How many days would I have to pick up the phone, if I were able to preorder it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.