Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to overhaul the TV app in an effort to consolidate its Apple TV+ streaming service and its standalone movie and TV show purchase options, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. A tvOS update in December will introduce the changes that Apple has planned.

Apple-TV-4K-hero-221018.jpg

To push users to the Apple TV app, Apple plans to remove its standalone Apple TV apps that are available for renting and purchasing TV shows and movies. The movie and TV show sections from the iTunes Store app on iPhones and iPads will also be eliminated.

Apple wants to push customers to the TV app, which already houses purchased movies and shows, Apple TV+ content, and third-party channels that customers can subscribe to.

The TV app will serve as a hub for streaming content, and Gurman says the redesigned app will have a side panel at the left that can be used to navigate between different video categories.

Updated navigation should make the TV app less confusing for consumers, making it clearer which content is from Apple and available through the Apple TV+ subscription and which content requires a separate subscription.

Article Link: Apple to Overhaul TV App, Remove Standalone Apps from Apple TV

nsengbush

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
This is amazing news! I have been hoping they would overhaul the app since I like that it aggregates our increasingly fractured TV viewing experience, but it's nice to see they are doing something about it.

I hope they can add more TV channel options since it is stagnant and poor compared to Amazon Prime channels (Max, NBA, MLB.tv, Crunchyroll now, live channels).

Hopefully, they put the user first in this overhaul, unlike the ad banner they added this past year.

nsengbush

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
And for goodness sake, please add a Kids or Family section so my young children can actually access the great Apple TV shows that are made for them.
It's hilarious because they originally had that tab before the greed took over and they started pushing their content. Used to have kids, tv, and movie tabs but were replaced with store, and apple tv + tabs

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Still waiting for them to give us an option to remove the massive ads that show up above my Up Next queue in the Watch Now tab. On my iPhone, they take up more than three quarters of the screen. IMO “Watch Now” should only show content I’ve already purchased or is available on services I’ve already subscribed to. And if they are going to show me ads above my Up Next, at least personalize it so it doesn’t show me stuff I’ve already watched.

I’m fine with this change because there’s already a Store tab. But the TV app itself needs a lot of work.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
this is a good idea, I usually find myself actually going to with Apple TV app to rent movies or look at what’s in my library on my iPhone or Apple TV.

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017

Apple plans to overhaul the TV app in an effort to consolidate its Apple TV+ streaming service and its standalone movie and TV show purchase options, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. A tvOS update in December will introduce the changes that Apple has planned.

Apple-TV-4K-hero-221018.jpg

To push users to the Apple TV app, Apple plans to remove its standalone Apple TV apps that are available for renting and purchasing TV shows and movies. The movie and TV show sections from the iTunes Store app on iPhones and iPads will also be eliminated.

Apple wants to push customers to the TV app, which already houses purchased movies and shows, Apple TV+ content, and third-party channels that customers can subscribe to.

The TV app will serve as a hub for streaming content, and Gurman says the redesigned app will have a side panel at the left that can be used to navigate between different video categories.

Updated navigation should make the TV app less confusing for consumers, making it clearer which content is from Apple and available through the Apple TV+ subscription and which content requires a separate subscription.

Article Link: Apple to Overhaul TV App, Remove Standalone Apps from Apple TV
I’m on board as long as I can still filter out services I am not subscribed to. E.g, I don’t need to see Disney+ content in my guide since I don’t subscribe to that platform

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
TV is the worst thing Apple makes. It's glitchy, inconsistent, confusing, and just doesn't work most of the time I try it. Old units, new units, doesn't matter, they're all irritating to use.

My $40 Roku has been utterly flawless, still allows me to AirPlay (and Android friends can cast), and oh yeah it's $40.

The only app that I haven't been able to get to work right on said Roku is, surprise surprise, the Apple TV app. No sound when attempting to play movies. Never been able to get it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.