Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today assured that its new requirement for privacy information on the App Store will apply equally to all iOS apps, including its own.

appstoreprivacy.jpg

This means that the dozens of Apple apps available through the App Store, such as Apple Books and Apple Podcasts, will display the same privacy "nutritional labels" as third-party apps. And for built-in iOS apps, like Messages, Apple says that it will make the same privacy information available to users on its website. Apple says this information will be presented in the same way as it appears on the App Store.

This clarification comes in response to Facebook-owned WhatsApp accusing Apple of a double standard with the privacy labels. WhatsApp said that the broad terms displayed in the labels could result in users being concerned about the data that WhatsApp collects, putting it at a competitive disadvantage compared to Apple's built-in Messages app.

Developers are required to include this new privacy information when submitting new apps and app updates to the App Store as of December 8. It is unknown when exactly the privacy labels will begin appearing in the ‌App Store‌.

Apple's developer portal offers more information about the new privacy detail requirements.

Article Link: Apple to Publish Privacy Labels for Preinstalled iOS Apps on Website

Last edited:

ozzymo

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2012
Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up! So now everyone is saying it's ok that Apple tracks me because now I know about it. So that begs the question who doesn't know that Facebook tracks you? Or Google? Is there a person alive that doesn't know you are being tracked when you use Facebook or any Google service? Of course not. Everyone knows they are being tracked, but still cry about it. Now what you are saying is oh I don't like being tracked unless it's Apple tracking me then because Apple is righteous and omnipotent I don't mind them tracking me.

JM

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
Why can't everyone trust that Apple is a straightforward and honorable company?

I got a guy at work that lumps Apple in with Google, Amazon, and Facebook as shady data-collecting monsters. I had to laugh because he was so adamant about it: no changing his mind.

ozzymo

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2012
Why can't everyone trust that Apple is a straightforward and honorable company?

I got a guy at work that lumps Apple in with Google, Amazon, and Facebook as shady data-collecting monsters. I had to laugh because he was so adamant about it: no changing his mind.
Wow dude. Seriously. That is scary. I hope you're being sarcastic and I missed the tone. We should all just trust Apple because Tim Cook says so and because they make sexy phones. Wow!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
not really sure why facebook wants to pick a privacy fight. They won't come out looking good.
Their complaint in this instance was valid. The privacy labels should apply to all apps, first and third party. Apple obviously agrees. Apple may have already been planning to do it anyway, but that's neither here nor there. FB lodged a valid concern, Apple quickly alleviated it. The issue doesn't persist and fester. It doesn't get to become a talking point in the "Apple's anti-competitive behavior" argument. No EU commission can latch on to it. It essentially dies as quickly as it was born.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
They handled this perfectly by responding quickly and ensuring that it ends fast and in their favor.
Even better than that.

I'm sure Apple absolutely knew that some poor, downtrodden company would trot that position out sooner or later.

They waited for the other company to complain, then they countered.

Let the other player make the opening gambit and then respond - with what you were always going to do anyways.

Smart.

ozzymo

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2012
Their complaint in this instance was valid. The privacy labels should apply to all apps, first and third party. Apple obviously agrees. Apple may have already been planning to do it anyway, but that's neither here nor there. FB lodged a valid concern, Apple quickly alleviated it. The issue doesn't persist and fester. It doesn't get to become a talking point in the "Apple's anti-competitive behavior" argument. No EU commission can latch on to it. It essentially dies as quickly as it was born.
Now when everyone can see that Apple indeed collects data when you use their apps I wonder if that will change people's minds. But it seems from comments here, everyone trusts Apple and don't mind being tracked as long as it is Apple doing the tracking. Goes to show that nothing Apple could ever do would change the minds of their devout cultists.

NoSoup4U

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
Good that Apple is "eating their own dogfood" as the saying goes. Will go a long way towards mitigating the responses of the critics, who believe Apple plays unfairly.

Eh, they'll still complain. In a sense, Apple monetizes its apps by selling the platform that uses the apps. Other apps have to figure out another way to make money off the users.

ozzymo

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2012
probably because they are sociopaths and have no empathy for people’s privacy needs.
Haha sociopaths that developed a FREE service that you use and probably don't want to pay for. You expect Facebook and Google etc to continue to develop and support free apps you want to use and don't want to pay for, but oh no they better not track me and monetize that because then I will be up in arms about it.

Reactions: fahlman

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up! So now everyone is saying it's ok that Apple tracks me because now I know about it. So that begs the question who doesn't know that Facebook tracks you? Or Google? Is there a person alive that doesn't know you are being tracked when you use Facebook or any Google service? Of course not. Everyone knows they are being tracked, but still cry about it. Now what you are saying is oh I don't like being tracked unless it's Apple tracking me then because Apple is righteous and omnipotent I don't mind them tracking me.
Actually apple.requests to use tracking and lets me decide whether it's their app or a 3rd party. They only.do so when it benefits my experience. Siri data is mostly processed on device so Apple is not getting that info. Some apps I've noticed asking for background location access that have no need.for.it. Now we will know.

Reactions: Redsep

PPietra

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
I think you didn’t understand what this is about!

Reactions: ericwn and Redsep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.