Apple to Purchase Chinese Game Developer Handseeing?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're really not quite sure to make of this one, but Chinese SinoCast Daily Business Beat is reporting that Apple is preparing to purchase Handseeing Information Technology, a Chinese game developer focused on Rich Internet Applications (RIAs).
As US-based Apple Inc. is close to making the purchase of Handseeing Information Technology Co., Ltd., a mobile Internet service provider and a mobile game developer in China, for as much as USD 150 billion, the emergence of more potential buyers has added to the uncertainty of the deal.

Apple's plan to take over the Chinese company underscores its mounting interests in China's potentially huge mobile Internet sector, which has been basically ignored by it for a long time.
The "USD 150 billion" figure appears to be a typographical error, however, as, beyond the fact that it would be an unreasonable purchase price for such a company, other figures given in the report discussing outside investments in the company lead to a figure in the range of $150 million instead of $150 billion.

Apple's potential reason for interest in Handseeing is unclear, although the company does seem to have some expertise in Java-based online gaming technologies. The company touts its partnership with Sun Microsystems, a relationship that Sun profiled (PDF) as Handseeing helped deploy new Java-based RIAs for Tianya Online, a social community centered around online gaming in China that has reportedly become one of the country's largest social networking forums.

A separate report from just a month ago indicated that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn was planning to acquire Handseeing.

Article Link: Apple to Purchase Chinese Game Developer Handseeing?

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Chinese often confuse million and billion, partially because the way they express those numbers in their own language is very different. So it makes sense.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Chinese often confuse million and billion, partially because the way they express those numbers in their own language is very different. So it makes sense.
The Chinese?! British English and American English have inconsistencies about billions and trillions! (Although, the British seemed to have given up the fight). If you read some textbooks or scientific journals, even recent ones can drive you mad with their contradictory use of the terms.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/howmanybillion

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Java-based developer? Wonder how that would integrate...

Yeah. My parents will sometimes say 5000 then they mean 50000 because 10000 is their 'base' unit for large numbers. Like we say 'five hundred thousand', but they say (and think) 'fifty ten-thousand'.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Yeah. My parents will sometimes say 5000 then they mean 50000 because 10000 is their 'base' unit for large numbers. Like we say 'five hundred thousand', but they say (and think) 'fifty ten-thousand'.
Say what?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Kind of wish if Apple was going to do this they would leverage the vast base of American developers or companies.

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
As said in the voice of Dr. Evil... "For the sum of 150 gazillion dollars!!"
:p

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Say what?
Japan has the same numbering system, with 10,000 instead of 1000 being the way to count big numbers.

We say 50 thousand, they say 5 "tenthousands".

We arbitrarily picked three digits to group our numbers: after 999 we say 1 thousand, then million, then billion.

They picked four digits. So there is no direct correspondence to our thousand, million, billion, and the higher you go, the bigger the difference. (3, 6, 9, 12 digits for each new measurement word, vs. 4, 8, 12, 16 digits.)

Yeah, I don't know if I explained this any better...

ctdonath

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Some areas use the term "billion" for 1,000,000, and "million" for 1,000,000,000.

tomozj

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
UK
Why d'you say this?

The chinese are one of the smartest nations in the world (statistically).
I think he means perhaps to help the American economy / support local developers.

Not that it matters to me in the UK.

ctdonath

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Apple being an American company it would be nice for them to be giving some Americans jobs.
Maybe they would if our government didn't dictate assorted overhead costs that make it significantly cheaper to build things on the other side of the planet. At some point high minimum wages and burdensome regulations end up denying jobs to workers instead of improving them.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Maybe they would if our government didn't dictate assorted overhead costs that make it significantly cheaper to build things on the other side of the planet. At some point high minimum wages and burdensome regulations end up denying jobs to workers instead of improving them.
Great lets make everyone work 15 hours days, pay them 2 bucks an hour.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
Im not saying they aren't. I am saying that Apple being an American company it would be nice for them to be giving some Americans jobs.
I see what you mean.

It's sadly purely down to economics. - They already build much of their hardware in China because of the reduction in costs - why stop at hardware?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I see what you mean.

It's sadly purely down to economics. - They already build much of their hardware in China because of the reduction in costs - why stop at hardware?
I just don't understand personally. The company has 40% margins and pays the bulk of its people in America (developers etc.) Why not shell out the money and do everything here in the US, stimulate the economy, perhaps fix Apples QC issues, and maybe start a trend of bringing things back to the US.

Of course leave the blackmailing Unions out of it.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This would be nice. Perhaps another use for the NC data center? Stop filling my iPhone with Apps and get me some cloud-based Game center.

In order to round out this post: Verizon, AT&Tfail, deathgrip.