Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seeegs

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
iPhone camera anyone?

It's plausible, but why would Apple go back rather than forward? As the article states Apple discontinued the line of standalone USB iSight cameras in 2006, and seeing as though this would be the only logical way they could bring iSight to PC, I just can't see it.

However Apple just loves building eco-systems and interconnectivity between it's products. We can see this with iPod, Mac and iTunes ...
so the iChat integration you are depicting could happen.

R-Fly

does the iPhone camera show up as "Apple USB Camera?" If so, could it be used for iChat stuff? not sure why you would want to but...who knows.

jcox21

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
why do i want this? my cable internet connection can barely handle my regular definition isight.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but this could all be much ado about nothing.

If the masses are right about the iSight's resolution being 1280x1024, it's an HD camera already. My HDTV (720p) has a top resolution of about 13xx by 768. So the present iSights are techincally HD.

I also must agree with one poster: WHO FINDS THIS STUFF? There is a devout segment of people if stuff is dug up from millions of lines of code. I also wonder what the track record is on this stuff being right. I know the iTunes rentals came out true, but I don't recall what else has been predicted based on code.

scottintosh

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
not present on my powermac G5

The isight HD string is not present in the file on my PowerMac G5 1.6ghz. I just updated to the new Quicktime and it is still not present. The Quickcam string isnt there either. Otherwise the file looks the same as the screenshot. Does that mean anything?

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
The isight HD string is not present in the file on my PowerMac G5 1.6ghz. I just updated to the new Quicktime and it is still not present. The Quickcam string isnt there either. Otherwise the file looks the same as the screenshot. Does that mean anything?
Hmm. Do you have Leopard?

Anyway, this pretty much denies the rumour then. I'm guessing it means that only shows up on Macs with the HD iSight.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Anyway, this pretty much denies the rumour then. I'm guessing it means that only shows up on Macs with the HD iSight.

It's in my Leopard, on a Mac Pro, no built-in iSight.

arn

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Try using TestApp and you'll yield a 1280x1024 image from your built-in iMac iSight camera. I did (24" Aluminum iMac released April 28, 2008). I'd say it's already an HD camera. It would be good if Apple sold one separately for people without an iMac or laptop though. It was pretty weak to stop selling the original iSight without anything to replace it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Try using TestApp and you'll yield a 1280x1024 image from your built-in iMac iSight camera. I did (24" Aluminum iMac released April 28, 2008). I'd say it's already an HD camera. It would be good if Apple sold one separately for people without an iMac or laptop though. It was pretty weak to stop selling the original iSight without anything to replace it.

That's what I've been thinking for a couple of years. I don't think most ACD buyers want to be forced to buy an iSight. For us pro users, it would be a complete waste that would add $50-150 to the cost of a monitor. They have also left out everybody who purchased a Mac Mini.

xyz1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
You're all correct. Not that you need yet someone else to say so.

Macs based on the Santa Rosa platform have the higher resolution 1280 x 1024 iSights.

Hmmm.. are you sure about this? I have a SR 2.2Ghz Macbook, and after capturing some video in iMovie (both current version and previous HD version) and replaying the video in Quicktime, it shows as 640x480?

Im sure I have an SR based macbook, as I have 4GB of addressable RAM installed.

I just tried the recently posted MacDaddyTestApp, but it didnt want to work on this mac for some reason....

I would really love it if this laptop could capture HD video through its iSight :)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Speaker or anyone - Can someone explain this comment? I'm not understanding.

The QuickTake was a digital camera Apple released in 1994. The suggestion (slightly tongue in cheek I take it) was that this could be Apple's successor to the QuickTake and the reason the iPhone built in camera wasn't upgraded.

xyz1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
I take back what I said earlier.

Didnt realise I had an open instance of iMovie with iSight on, hence TestApp was competing with it for access, and unable to work. Now that I can use TestApp, I can indeed see a video preview that fills the width of this laptop screen... and is deeper than it too. So must be at least 1280 wide and more than 800 pixels deep.

Taking a snapshot image only seems to capture 640x480.

So again, would love to know how to capture "full res" video with this iSight.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
The QuickTake was a digital camera Apple released in 1994. The suggestion (slightly tongue in cheek I take it) was that this could be Apple's successor to the QuickTake and the reason the iPhone built in camera wasn't upgraded.

that is what i meant, and yes it was a bit tongue in cheek, as it wouldnt fit the 3 legged stool business plan lol, I think the camera market is maybe a bit crowded anyway.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008

I'm on an Intel Mac Mini 1.66GHz, and I have that same text file and I'm running Tiger 4.11 with Quicktime 7.4.5

The computer has never had an iSight plugged in - I use my camcorder as a webcam seeing as the battery doesn't work - but it still has those exact same details marked down in the same file in the same directory.

Maybe its limited to Intel users?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

I suspect its not actually a new camera coming out. Its been in the strings on the intel Mac Pros atleast since February (my oldest time machine backup)

why do i want this? my cable internet connection can barely handle my regular definition isight.

Because those of us with Mac Pros don't have an isight, and some of us would like one. Also some people have faster internet connections or want it for other things.

smartin684

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
NO TO HD iSight?

Why on earth would I want to see peoples ugly mugs in full HD????? There are only a VERY FEW people whos face I would want to see with that much detail, and I would never be able to get them to iCHat with me. :D

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This sounds good to me. I don't want to bother with a built-in iSight camera on the Cinema Displays like all the corny consumer are clamoring for. I would like one to be external and I would really love it in a better definition.

I also agree that not everyone has a slow as molasses internet connection, and iChatting in HD wouldn't be as bad as some people may think.

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Why on earth would I want to see peoples ugly mugs in full HD?????
not only that, it's impractical to send that much data over the internet at full resolution. it's not just about the download speed of your internet connection... it's upload speed and most providers don't give you what you can download at.

Most Macs would probably choke on handling a real-time encode of that much data as well (I'm thinking H.264 here.)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The iSight's in the recent MacBook/Pro's and iMac's have all been HD, and are connected by USB.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
All of the built-in iSights appear as "USB Class Video" or something similar in other applications since they use a USB connection.

You've missed the fact that the comment above that identifier specifically refers to it as "Next Gen USB iSight".

Why on earth would I want to see peoples ugly mugs in full HD????? There are only a VERY FEW people whos face I would want to see with that much detail, and I would never be able to get them to iCHat with me. :D

Agreed. I don't need (or even want) to see my friends' faces in that level of detail. :D

But I do think an external iSight is a good idea.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I got an iSight on eBay about a month ago for my Mac Pro, and have been happy with it. I'm not sure whether Apple will ever include a built-in cam on their cinema displays: it would add to the price, and many companies (and the military) do not allow cams on premises, which would decrease Apple's ability to enter the corporate market. If they were to release an external HD cam, I would consider purchasing it if it received stunning reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.