Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And it's not shipping for iPad, is it? The only reason it is shipping for iPhone is because of the new iPhones launching. It is clear it wouldn't have shipped otherwise. Wrong on that detail, sure. But the overall situation is still what I described.
The overall situation is that iOS 13.0 is getting released.

Colourblindkid

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2016
Have a feeling this is going to be a disaster. Bugs, hacks, leaks. IOs 13 DOOM written all over it. Mark my words.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
And it's not shipping for iPad, is it? The only reason it is shipping for iPhone is because of the new iPhones launching. It is clear it wouldn't have shipped otherwise. Wrong on that detail, sure. But the overall situation is still what I described.
Dude, just take the L and admit you were wrong.
13.0 will never be seeded to the public, that is definite as of right now. 13.1.x will be released to the public on the original date for 13.0 (the week of September 16-20).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If a person is on 13.1 right now, is it better to downgrade to 13 (and if so, how do you do that?) before getting a new phone or is it better to just wait for a new phone, enroll it in the pb 13 and upgrade it to 13.1, then restore from a back up? This is such a cluster@#$%

When you installed a beta version of iOS you signed up for potential cluster@#$%-ery. That's the deal. Don't be surprised.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
When you installed a beta version of iOS you signed up for potential cluster@#$%-ery. That's the deal. Don't be surprised.
I understand that when one signs up to do a beta, you run the risk of having issues.. but this seems so crazy that they would basically screw a lot of public beta testers and developers from restoring from a back up when they buy a new phone.

Reactions: AE14

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I understand that when one signs up to do a beta, you run the risk of having issues.. but this seems so crazy that they would basically screw a lot of public beta testers and developers from restoring from a back up when they buy a new phone.
I guess, but it wasn't hard to see this coming when the iOS 13.1 beta came down the pipe recently. All one had to do was refrain from installing that.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
For the majority of the planet who aren't apple/tech geeks like us ios 13 and more specifically ipados is going to be a very big deal.

digthewell

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
The iPad OS will be the single most powerful update to the iPad and take its usability to the next level. While the changes in iPhone are pretty awesome too.

Reactions: Rapmastac1

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
this is not surprising to me as I have been using iPadOS 13.1 beta 2 and there are still bugs. Springboard crash, keyboard navigation defects, etc. They bit off a lot with this iPadOS release so the 10ish day delay while uncharacteristic for Apple is understandable. I will gladly take a delay for all the new features coming to iPad. I've been using the Beta since day 1 and it is a huge leap towards productivity parity with MacBook. Mouse support, full Safari browser, file downloads, USB storage, today screen pinned widgets really make a big difference.

I agree, this is the biggest thing to happen to the iPad since the original iPad. This isnt an incremental update, this is something totally new. All the features are ones most us have been requesting since the original iPad.

These are deep rooted features like USB Mass Storage support, that's not some tacked on feature or app. That's a deep part of the OS that requires support across the entire OS.

What do you mean?

SE and iPhone 6 are now obsolete (they are technically the same on the inside)

Also the iPad Air 2 is the oldest iPad supported.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's official; iOS 13 gets released on [Full Moon] Friday the 13th......very scary ;)
What does Friday the 13th have to do with it?
[doublepost=1568228042][/doublepost]
SE and iPhone 6 are now obsolete (they are technically the same on the inside)

Also the iPad Air 2 is the oldest iPad supported.
SE is actually based on the 6s rather than the 6. Both 6s and SE support iOS 13.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
There is however such a thing as standards and acceptable quality, and Apple has plummeted, plummeted in this department in recent years. Pretty sure I know why too.

That’s because the computer this ‘world’ is running on is in the midst of crashing. Everything is screwed up and Apple is no exception.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Not sure how an almost-trillion dollar company managed not to have the software ready in time.

It's not money that matters, it is man hours. Throwing money at the existing engineers doesn't improve productivity outside of improving motivation, hiring new engineers won't get them productive in time, having them work more hours a week negatively affects quality.

Even if they already had more engineers who were familiar with iOS, it only helps up to a certain point, then you wind up negatively affecting productivity because of communications and planning issues. Although not PC, my old boss used to say "you can't put nine women on a baby and have it ready in a month"

I would have thought Apple would thrown as many devs at the issues as needed to get things done in time.

That is likely what happened - but the only deadline they had communicated externally was iOS 13 (to telcos). So, they moved features which weren't close enough to completion out for 13.1 and 13.2, and delayed qualification for other devices/platforms.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.