Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I swear, they’ll have built this thing up to a full desktop before they give us pro apps. Apple please, give us Final Cut/Logic/Motion on ipados!

Reactions: amartinez1660

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
This.

Also if Apple wasn’t about to fix their laptop line, it would have been pretty amusing if you’d have to pick between a gimped OS with a functioning keyboard, or a gimped keyboard with a functioning OS.

Great job Apple /s

?

Oh man, that is too good. Only Apple could do that, like selling a MacBook and iPhone but not being able to connect the two together because no USB-A ports.

Reactions: TravelsInBlue

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
1st party would be great, I'm waiting to see how the Brydge product with the trackpad turns out (recently bumped from March to April).

Yeah, because a laptop over an iPad is monstrous and so heavy. :rolleyes:

There's a number of use cases where a touch based device is superior - just to name a few: I'm involved as the lead dev/design/architect for apps in the medical space (clinical analytics / emergency triage), and law enforcement (investigation services), and the docs/researchers/agents/etc., really love the user experience of the iPad, now, if they could, on-the-fly, provide some "notebook-like" improvements for certain tasks on the same device, it would be a real win.

Apple needs to pause iPad hardware and focus more on making iPadOS less gimped.

I think if this is true, it really does point to some notable, near term, improved peripheral support in the OS (per some other folks, iPadOS 14). About a week ago I connected an Apple KB and TP to our 12.9 iPadPro, it wasn't __terrible__, a few things were pretty good, clearly there's plenty of room for improvement.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I think that further hardware improvements without improving iOS are useless. I still can’t keep 2 Word documents side by side. And Office apps themselves are still crippled. I get it - not an Apple product. But at the same time, it is a limitation that Windows and Macs don’t have. Apple could work more with bigger software companies to make their apps more compatible, or give them incentives. And even Apple apps are limited. Try adding keywords to photos, or create a playlist folder in the music app.

As of today, iPad Pro is not sufficient for pro work. The same applies to the still buggy file providers, like Dropbox which are still buggy due to Apple‘s API.

These are basic things that laptops have been getting right for so long now. I love the hardware of the iPad, but iPadOS and its ecosystem are not there yet.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I'm waiting to see how the Brydge product with the trackpad turns out
I fear that the Brydge product will do what the current mouse solution does. It’s not like Brydge can include desktop level pointing support without Apple buying in to provide the API.

ahbiteme

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The one thing that I would absolutely love on an iPad is the ability to run R code. I get why it’s restricted, but that would be so good for me for travel, especially on planes. If that ever comes in, I’ll be a happy man.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I’ll withhold judgment until I see how it works. But it seems like they’d have to overhaul some paradigms.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I fear that the Brydge product will do what the current mouse solution does. It’s not like Brydge can include desktop level pointing support without Apple buying in to provide the API.

Yeah, I'm a holding pattern till the product ships, and I'm not pre-ordering - also, their existing product (basically the same thing but without the TP), doesn't get stellar reviews, decent, some things sound great (build, keyboard), some kind of so-so (the hunges/connectors, requirement to remove and reinsert for "tablet mode").

el beisbol

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
This would be great. I don't need trackpad/mouse support for most of what I do on my iPP, but would sure make writing and editing a lot easier.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Finally! There’s nothing more annoying than trying to navigate through the iPad with a keyboard and a big display, this will make keyboard shortcuts less redundant. And it will make navigating a lot easier when the iPad is used this way.

also for the mindless who thinks giving a trackpad to the iPad is pretty much a MacBook, use your brain lol, it’s not. A MacBook uses macOS, a MacBook’s main input is a cursor. A MacBook uses different apps. Etc

ya’ll are thinking this will replace Touch as the main input on a iPad.

and sheesh, Apple markets this iPad to be used with their keyboard. Interacting with the iPad using the keyboard folio with Touch is a terrible experience. Touch input is best used when the iPad is not stationed on a desk/lap when using a keyboard, but it is handy. The experience is not good when you have to reach and move your arms constantly to interact with your iPad when using a keyboard.

michaelz

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
LA
When will iOS and macOS merge as one? There is no reason iPad can’t run full version of macOS.

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I love how for some people around here everything apple does/ is planning to do is bad and/or unnecessary.

If there is a good mouse support im going to be very interested in upgrading from my first gen 9.7 Pro.

Despite having a recent MacBook Pro I'm interested in a possible versatility of an iPad.

adamski23

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2017
iSurface pro X?

I would really like apple to make a surface pro like device running macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.