Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I doubt the smart watch is a massive consumer category. And that most people who wanted one purchased one already. I would assume that upgrades would lag behind smartphones rates as well.

I like my Watch - it enhances the ecosystem, but it's hardly a must-have item.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
screw this guy -- he's a supply chain leak dude, he doesnt know anything about AW sales.
[doublepost=1475526336][/doublepost]
Ha. Apple stopped being a computer company with the stupid iPod. My brother think it was the iMac since that didn't have a floppy drive. Regardless, Apple's been making toys for a long time. Real people who are not pretentious use Linux or Windows.
spoken like a true adolescent. congrats, and good luck on your driving exam!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Seems unlikely to me.

I saw only one Apple Watch the whole first generation. Now I've already seen several since the new generation. Lots of people (like me) were waiting on a second generation on principle, and on performance questions. Now we're ready to buy. And the starting price dropped to $269 for a watch that's better/faster than the original "series 0." And for higher-end fitness tracking, Series 2 has gained a lot.

Anything could happen I suppose. It's a new and unpredictable market. However, I don't see sales dropping, but rising.

As for his complaints, I don't think they are widely shared by the world:

- Lack of "killer apps"? Weather and fitness and notifications and text messaging and homekit are the killers for me. But actually sitting down and "running apps" desktop-style is probably barking up the wrong tree.

- "Inadequate" battery life? Really? I'm hearing the reverse. (So far I never run out except once when I transferred a bunch of big images all at once as an experiment.)

- Heavy reliance on the iPhone? Yes, less so—but yes. And I have my phone with me always, as most people do. Is there some other equally capable device that does NOT need a phone, and yet gets equal battery life while remaining equally compact (and doesn't require monthly fees)?

- "Multi-touch UI that he does not feel will be the ideal solution for wearable devices"... Well, multi-touch is actually no part of the UI at all, unless you enable specific accessibility features like zoom mode. Touch is, and done well, supplemented by voice control, a ton of sensors, and an Atari paddle.

Record of sales prediction, or product rumors? For product rumors/leaks, his record is pretty good. His crystal ball to the future does not have sources equally good.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I don't see the whole point of paying $350 and still rely on iPhone, yup I said that right only on iPhone. If they lower the price to $200 I might consider it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
At the end of the day, 1 - 8 million units would still be a good year for nearly any other company. Personally, wouldn't care to see the exact same form factor on the wrists of all watch wearing people.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
This very much discounts the factor of the Watch becoming a more acceptable and dare I say "normal" item.

The sentiment of the watch becoming a nice accessory vs "tech for douchebags" is something I've noticed.
There was a lot of anger at the Watch when it came out. Most articles this time around were generally positive.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Apple Watch is courageous, so much so Apple won't release sales figures. And Series 2 is fatter than Series 1. Can't innovate my a$$!

So you bash the iPhone 7, because it's not a worthy upgrade from the 6s and now you bash the Apple Watch 2 with silly insults that include Schiller comments that we all have had read hundreds of times over. Spreading nonsense seems to suit you perfectly.

What's next on your bash agenda? My guess is the Airpods when they release this month.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was waiting on Series 2, but it's here and I still don't see the use case that makes this something I should buy. Not for the money that Apple is charging for them. I know myself well enough to know that the Watch, with its current features, would end up collecting dust within a couple of months.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Indeed. It is a matter-of-fact analysis and he does not indicate hating or liking the watch OR equating sales with market success. He just lays out four reasons why his opinion is that the watch will sell less in 2016. WHY shouldn't it? Must of us who want an Apple Watch already have an Apple Watch. There isn't enough in the 2 to get many (most?) current owners to upgrade and he lays out 4 points that have already been realized in the first watch's sales progress. What he lays out seems like a given. Anyone could probably write a similar analysis between the 6S and 7. Why is anyone surprised?

Reactions: Moorepheus

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Just need to release the Watch Pro model. Should solve everything. Unless it comes out before the updated Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.