Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I think the interface is superb, not sure where this analyst would suggest improvement. Oh and I am getting a lot of style points too with my classic leather buckle.
Watch OS 3 is leaps and bounds better than the previous iterations. Honestly, it's a shame that the public had to see wOS 1 and 2. I too waited. My Series 2 is my first smart watch, but as the family tech support guy I've dealt with the first round and previous two OSs. And those were not a product I could recommend. But I really like my Series 2 running wOS 3. The interface is so much more intuitive and overall simpler. I really can't see what Kuo is complaining about regarding the user interface, not in v3.

I am using a third party band, and that too is a nice perk. I like that I can rather cheaply pick from tons of bands to find the one that suits me the best (Apple's own bands are overpriced so whatever on those). I'm not saying that only the Apple Watch can do this, but it does seem like their self-contained little box lends itself well to a lot of mix-n-matching options.

Reactions: ErikGrim

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I doubt the smart watch is a massive consumer category. And that most people who wanted one purchased one already. I would assume that upgrades would lag behind smartphones rates as well.

I like my Watch - it enhances the ecosystem, but it's hardly a must-have item.
There's the "I want one but I never buy version 1 of anything" crowd.

Also the ones who couldn't afford one before, but now they can.

And Christmas is coming, when a lot of people get gifts that aren't must-have items.

Reactions: docdawning

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Most people don't want a phone accessory but a true smartwatch with built-in cellular that can operate untethered from phone.

Do people want that? I've never heard a real watch owner, off the internet, talk about that being something they wanted. People don't seem to want to leave their smart phone at home in general, unless they are out running or swimming, in which case what they want are for those functions to continue to work without the phone - which they do pretty well.

I'm not against the idea at all, but right now having to have a separate LTE plan to use the S3 is pretty cumbersome. The carriers would need to address that so the devices can share a single SIM somehow.

Reactions: Apple.Fanatic

docdawning

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
Last night, I bought my first smart watch; a Series 1. I probably would have got a Series 2 but I didn't want to wait to pay more, mostly for features I don't think I particularly need. I wanted a heart rate monitor and I wanted the data to flow effortlessly in to HealthKit. So far, I think my little Series 1 is great. I mean, it probably won't end global hunger, but I think it will do what I bought it for.

What's weird is the down-playing of what the Series 1 is. Even the sales guy in the Apple Store told me that the Series 1 is just the first gen product. Nuh uhhh. That CPU upgrade counts for a lot.

Apple's a victim of its own success; people expect them to radically change the world with every new product release. There's a thing called equilibrium and I think saturating a niche-space with a measly several million unit sales is massive success by many definitions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ike1707

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Most people don't want a phone accessory but a true smartwatch with built-in cellular that can operate untethered from phone.

perhaps that is the future.

i use my watch differently than apple watch folks do. Apple does a lot of bett

And Christmas is coming, when a lot of people get gifts that aren't must-have items.

if the apple store in any indicator in consumer interest then i wouldn't expect apple series 2 to sell any better during the holidays over last year either. Nobody was playing with them. Im a HUGE geek with gadgets and i have very little to no interest as well.

docdawning

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016

I think you're precisely right. I wager they will actually sell a lot of them this holiday season.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I came close to buying one - but I've got to be a proper adult now and get myself somewhere to live, so count me out :'(
[doublepost=1475528555][/doublepost]
I love my original Apple Watch. But unless you're a serious swimmer, why would you upgrade? Especially at the ridiculous prices they want for a smart watch

I don't think Series 2 is for gen 1 owners to upgrade. It's for users who wouldn't buy gen 1 to buy their first Watch.

Reactions: pentrix2

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

True, but I question how big that first product avoidance crowd is. One thing I will say is that I'm surprised how many notn-tech people have been enticed to purchase and can use the Apple Watch. This seems to be the first smartwatch that has managed to get wide consumer appeal.

I don't really count the Fitbit as a smartwatch.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Are these paid ads for Ming-Chi Kuo on MacRumors? Has his 'speculation' about watches ever been correct? These are barely educated guesses, repeated for headline fodder.

Reactions: Brandhouse

pkissel

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2016
My wife loves her new Series 2. All the best of the original with lots of great new features including the waterproofing! Is it perfect? Nope. But we thought it was a good iteration that offered value.

Reactions: legacyb4

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Way back Steve Jobs said that with a new iPhone, there would be no need to wear a watch (among other benefits of course). I'm not going back to strapping something on my wrist--especially something with redundant functionality.

Maybe in iOS11 Apple will remove the time displayed on iPhones for a "cleaner look" and thus provide a market for Apple Watches.

Reactions: rom3o and ssgbryan

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I bought gen 1 and wear it somewhat consistently, and only use it for notifications and complications. Maybe I'll start using a few 3rd party apps because Watch OS 3 makes them usable.

Money is not an issue but I just don't care to upgrade to series 2. I'm not a swimmer, and I don't think the watch gps adds anything at all to my life.

Always on display + lte seem like the only 2 features that would make me upgrade at this point. A $5 watch has an always on display, 1 year battery life, and nearly the same amount of features if you don't have an iPhone with you. The original iPhone was a much better "phone" than a dumb phone, while the same cannot be said about the watch.

Reactions: Moorepheus

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There are cheaper alternatives even if you were a serious swimmer, with better battery life etc.

If Apple priced the watch a few hundred dollars cheaper, it would sell in far greater numbers - Better value for money than most other health straps / watches. At the current pricing, I don't see the Value for Money in the Apple Watch.

I agree. And this is coming from a Stainless owner. $600.00 is a lot of money for a smart watch. And they hold no value over time. The Apple Watch does things well, but it could be priced more competitively. Now with the Apple Watch 2, Apple did provide the option having an the aluminum for a cheaper option with the most current processor for less. And the aluminum is far more popular due to the price point compared to the stainless.

I think customers are skeptical if they want to drop this kind of money for something they may or may not use. I'm happy with mine, but Until a complete overhaul happens, I'm content with the two that I own.

alphacen

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
Figure out a way to shave off 50% of the thickness with at least a full day of battery life and I'm in. Till then, no thanks.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
I like my Apple Watch but even tho I like it. It's still just a watch for me. And not my favorite watch ether. But something about it is sorta ...eh. Meh. What else ya got?

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
The thing is out-of-stock everywhere and not shipping for over a month. I think they are doing better than we all think, but they are probably being conservative on stock.

Reactions: Celebion

alexwei

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
put your effort into your goddamn computers and announce it more frequently than ever 4 years, please.

Reactions: VMMan

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
My Garmin Vivosmart does all notifications, tracks everything, has GPS and runs for 3 weeks! Once Apple can sort out the battery life I might consider it.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Wait, most people do not want a 350 dollar chunky square watch made in a random factory in Taiwan? - one that looses half its value in 12 month. Here is a another one - water wets.

Apple.Fanatic

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2015
Atlanta, Georgia
I love my original Apple Watch. But unless you're a serious swimmer, why would you upgrade? Especially at the ridiculous prices they want for a smart watch

Water proofing nice but GPS a big deal for runners. Most runners don't run with their phones and now might look at Apple Watch for their runs.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I feel we kinda know where this is going.

There is a demand for sports use of course, and there is the gimmic/cool side of it, but really, it's not something that's going to get adopted large scale. Not yet anyway.

Apple has made the best effort, and I'm sure will keep it running.
Perhaps it's just the tech is not ready yet?

I work with people who have had various smart watches, and keep going back to their nice normal ones.
Watches ARE most mens jewellery item, and something that's personal to them.
Wearing a black rectangle, just does not have the same feeling.

Perhaps this will just be another Apple TV, the loyal fans stick by it, but for the most part it just sits there ticking over in the background?

I wear my black rectangle and absolutely love it. Maybe that is because I care more about my health than making a personal jewelry statement.

Oh and 75 percent of the people I work with wear their Apple Watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.