Apple Tops Holiday Sales With 44% of All New Device Activations

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone and iPad were the most popular mobile devices gifted during the holidays this year, according to new data shared by Yahoo-owned mobile analytics firm Flurry.

Flurry examined device activations by manufacturer between 12/19 and 12/25, finding Apple devices to be twice as popular as Samsung devices.

44 percent of all new phone activations were Apple iPhones, while Samsung smartphones accounted for 21 percent of activations. Huawei, LG, Amazon, Oppo, Xiaomi, and Motorola trailed behind with between two and three percent of activations each.

While Samsung is slowly growing in popularity throughout the holiday season, up 1% from last year, Apple devices continue to be the gift to give. Holding the third and fourth positions for activations are Huawei and LG; which is remarkable, as both manufacturers do not have an individual device within the top 35 devices activated. Their high rank is likely due to the fact that they have wide variety of devices and affordable options (hundreds of phablet and medium phones) for consumers to choose from.
Google's Pixel smartphone, which came out in October, did not make Flurry's list.

Last year, Flurry released a similar report, and Apple devices made up 49.1 percent of all device activations, while Samsung devices came in at 19.8 percent.

Phablets, or smartphones and tablets ranging in size from 5 inches to 6.9 inches, continued to grow in popularity. In 2016, the phablets category, which includes the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, 6s Plus, and 7 Plus, was responsible for 37 percent of total device activations. Medium-sized phones, like the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 7, were responsible for 45 percent of all activations. Activations of full-sized tablets, like the iPad, have continued to wane.

To gather its data, Flurry measured smart device activations and app downloads from the hundreds of thousands of apps it tracks from December 19 to December 25.

Article Link: Apple Tops Holiday Sales With 44% of All New Device Activations

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Now we see why they have little interest in Macs and especially desktop Macs these days. The iPhone and iPad is all Apple needs anymore. They have amazing profit margins and they can sell on brand name alone. The Macs can't do that anymore. The expense to try and compete in the PC market isn't worth the effort when you can sell iDevices in huge volumes with little effort.

tooltalk

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2015
NY, NY
Ok. so that's 44% (apple) + 21% (samsung) + 13% (misc) = 78%. So who are the 22%? are they feature phones? Is this for smartphones only?

Flurry is a bit confusing. The reports says "TOP DEVICES," then it claims 44% of phone sales went to Apple, so does that mean "DEVICES" == "phones" only, but not tablets?

How about the "Distribution of New Devices By Form Factor? Now it's all devices including tablets/smartphone/small phones (feature phone?)

Last edited:

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
You know, it'd be nice to see a graph that isn't dominated by Apple for a change. It'd be nice to see some fierce competition in the industry again. Maybe one day.

Reactions: AleRod

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'd expect Apple to be number one. So good work.

Who uses flurry though? It would be nice to know what the source of this info is. And relative percentage mean very little. This is a very poor analytics piece .

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Sad to see.

This will embolden Apple to continue on the path of Mac neglect and disembowelment.

FWIW, I fall on the 21% Samsung category, having finalized my (5-member) family's exodus from iOS (at their behest) this Christmas. We have Galaxy devices all around.

It is of Note that at least both Sprint and T-Mobile in the US were pushing the iPhone HARD. I had to dig for the Sammy devices I wanted. So I'm sure that also had an impact in sales.

To be fair though, iPhones are not only about the best device Apple makes, but the price is so competitive (in its category) that I can see why people choose it. Unlike everything else they make, where the value vs cost is just not there anymore.

Reactions: iAmAsar

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I'd expect Apple to be number one. So good work.

Who uses flurry though? It would be nice to know what the source of this info is. And relative percentage mean very little. This is a very poor analytics piece .
Do people ask the same questions when IDC shows a decline in Apple product sales or Slice Analytics says Apple Watch sales fell off a cliff? Personally I think they are all meaningless but find it interesting that people here tend not to question these numbers when they show Apple in decline.

Reactions: Naraxus and dannys1

bruceosx

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
are those US figures, US plus Europe, worldwide, something else...? I sincerely doubt those numbers are worldwide, which really is the graph we should be looking at.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Now we see why they have little interest in Macs and especially desktop Macs these days. The iPhone and iPad is all Apple needs anymore. They have amazing profit margins and they can sell on brand name alone. The Macs can't do that anymore. The expense to try and compete in the PC market isn't worth the effort when you can sell iDevices in huge volumes with little effort.
Is the same true with Samsung being the #1 refrigerator manufacturer? They don't need their other lines of products they manufacture, anymore?

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
You know, it'd be nice to see a graph that isn't dominated by Apple for a change. It'd be nice to see some fierce competition in the industry again. Maybe one day.

Bingo! Thank you. We fellow trollers were struggling with how to put a negative spin on this positive news and you saved the day! Bravo! Let me make sure I've got the theme we should be using to troll with: "These figures are just more evidence of Apple's decline. They produce such crummy products because they are heads and shoulders above their competition and consumers are buying their products in droves because they don't want to buy the competition's inferior products.. Apple is doomed. " How am I doing?

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Relative percentages really mean nothing without knowing the total number of devices each year.
Like the values released by 'netcraft' they are meaningless.
And this site things this is news? Pah.
exactly... 44% iOS is as idiotic as if I flip this around and say 56% of activation are not iOS devices (Doom). Or that Apple saw a 5% decline year over year. All would be nonsense without the base number.

Reactions: Cloudkicker

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Do people ask the same questions when IDC shows a decline in Apple product sales or Slice Analytics says Apple Watch sales fell off a cliff? Personally I think they are all meaningless but find it interesting that people here tend not to question these numbers when they show Apple in decline.
I do and I'm asking :) Cause I work in analytics and am interested what these percentages are based on, positive or negative.

Mate, come on, are you seriously suggesting that it's only the decline numbers are questioned. Follow this thread and let's see how many believe that these stats represent all phone activations during the holiday season and not just flurry ..... don't play the victim, the hate\love swings both ways.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The data does not show that at all. In Q4 2016 Apple made over five billion dollars on Macs (more than they did on iPads).

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 1.08.25 PM.png

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/pdfs/Q4FY16DataSummary.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.