Apple Trademarks 'Graphulator' and 'Bonjour'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Trademarks 'Graphulator' and 'Bonjour'

A simple search for current trademarks by Apple Computer at The US Patent and Trademark office reveals a new trademark for "computer hardware; computer software" under the mark "Graphulator".

The trademark was filed on February 3rd 2005 by Apple Computer.

Apple has also trademarked 'Bonjour' in late January which is reportedly to be used to rename Apple's current Rendezvous technology due to litigation.

While Apple's trademarks have traditionally preceded new products, Apple does also hold trademarks for several names which have never been used. (Gigawire, iWrite and others)

ruud

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2004
OpenTalk?

I was under the impression it was going to be renamed OpenTalk? :confused:

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
dloomer said:
Why the hangup on French names? "Bonjour" sounds horrible.
'Rendezvous' always felt a bit cheeky to me. A bit 'nugde-nudge, wink-wink', 'quick knee-trembler in the store room', if you catch my drift.

'Bonjour' ... errr, doesn't really.

I certainly don't think a 'Bonjour' menu on my Safari bookmark bar would be all that great...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Maybe they plan to hold "Gigawire" until they can manage to suck 1 Gb through a USB/Firewire-derivative.

My opinion: Rendevzous > Bonjour.

And Graphulator = obviously new graph calculator.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Diatribe said:
This may very well be the new graphing calculator. And Bonjour has got to be the worst name they could've chosen... :eek:
Well, apart from Graphulator, that is :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Graphulator, that sounds cheesy to me, just like Bonjour, but who knows what will happen, wonder why they went with Pages instead of iWrite though, and i bet once a gig can be moved though a firewire type cable gigawire will become a product.

will be interesting to see what these come out as, if anything

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Bonjour..ugh I don't like that if you're going to use a foreign language make it one that we don't know the translation of or one that isn't used much, i can't see hp saying 'the 5510n is Bonjour compatible' somehow oh well.

Graphulator sounds ok, i bet there will be a pre-installed dashboard widget in Tiger that also has some reduced features of this app, if not i'm sure someone will make it.

Zigster

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
I'm sure marketing will get rid of the French names before they release the product.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Bonjour is a little weak, but Graphulator is absolutely horrible (sounds like something an eight-year-old would think of). I can't see using a name like that except as some type of joke or perhaps as a playful name for a toy-like piece of software/hardware.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
FWIW all references to Rendezvous in Tiger have already been changed to "Bonjour" in the current seeds. Look like we're stuck with it :(

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
while i have absolutly no feelings about "Bonjour" because it's simply to generic (and i think rendezvous is simply better)

"Graphulator" on the other side sounds like a transformer robot or something like that ... very cheesy ....

(anybody seen how Apple.de translated tigers Dashboard feature after the expo first ? "Schwebeplatte"..."hoovering plate" ...i nearly fell of the chair laughing... luckily the changed it to "Dashboard" on the german site as well)

ph34r teh gr4phoo|4tar ;)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Anybody read the story of Graphing Calculator? Presumably written by two Apple guys who didn't really even work at Apple. They sneaked in every day and wrote it on a PPC prototype.

Can't find the link.