MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One lucky Reddit user received his second-generation Apple TV 4K and Siri Remote earlier than expected in Finland, and he shared some initial thoughts and opinions on the new set-top box.

apple-tv-4k-siri-remote.jpg

The new trackpad on the Siri remote "feels good" and though the buttons are clicky, they're "still solid."
I'm almost always navigating with the trackpad. I just set the tracking speed to slow and it's feels good to me.

Rotate to seek doesn't work, at least right out of the box... Does it need to be enabled? Maybe I haven't really understood how to use it... As a good ol' click wheel as on the iPods, right? It just recognizes my input as swiping on the trackpad.

The buttons feel a bit clicky, but still solid.
As for the Apple TV 4K itself, the interface runs smoothly and installing apps is quick, but the Reddit user did not have a prior-generation for comparison.
Nothing to complain. Runs smooth on every corner and installing apps is so quick it's ridiculous. Can't really compare to the older Apple TVs, since that this is my first Apple TV... But smoother than my Sony Android TV software, that's for sure.
Customers who purchased an Apple TV 4K with Siri Remote from Apple will start seeing deliveries on May 21, with customers in Australia and New Zealand set to receive their devices first, so we should soon be hearing additional opinions on the redesigned Siri Remote and the speed improvements introduced with the A12 Bionic chip.

Apple TV 4K orders have started shipping in Canada, though we have yet to hear from any U.S. customers that have shipping notices at this time. The earliest Apple TV 4K orders have delivery estimates ranging from May 21 to May 27.

Article Link: Apple TV 4K and Siri Remote Arrive Early for Lucky Customer

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I will probably pick one up when they show up in stores. My current 4k is great, but it won't do Dolby at 60FPS. Honestly I thought it was a problem with the pass through on my sound system.

gwhizkids

macrumors 604
Jun 21, 2013
Mine is still in the "Preparing to Ship" mode (ordered an hour after they went on sale). I kind of expect it to flip to "Shipped" overnight tonight. Would love to get it Friday for the weekend! Also can't wait to see what it does for the color balance on my Samsung TV.

Reactions: mjs916 and Ghost31

SCReagan21

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I'm still bummed about it not getting a better performance boost. In some ways it's a step backward. It does have a marginally better CPU, but the A10X has a 30% higher metal score than the A12. I'm sure it's a fine device, but there isn't really any compelling reason to upgrade if you have a Apple TV 4K already, since the remote can be had separately.

I guess we hurry up and wait for the bigger update.

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Suppose I should clarify that I meant streaming devices. The Fire Stick and Roku products have (to my eye) very nice remotes with all the buttons I need and a soft rubbery feel. The Apple remote looks like it's off an 80s Scifi show and has so few buttons it would drive me nuts.

jarman92

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2014
Suppose I should clarify that I meant streaming devices. The Fire Stick and Roku products have (to my eye) very nice remotes with all the buttons I need and a soft rubbery feel. The Apple remote looks like it's off an 80s Scifi show and has so few buttons it would drive me nuts.

Yeah, Apple really should have added gaudy corporate logos and a cloth tag to modernize their remote.

zalusky

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I would like to see Apple add some APIs to be able to jump to specific Apps or even context in apps
Right now for example you have to:

Wake up the remote
Turn on the TV
Launch YouTube TV
Click to the Library

and similar for other apps.

Maybe they could make a long press on the TV button bring up a menu of apps/now playing lists for example.

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
There needs to be a feature that detects when a video is 720p/1080p and the Apple TV automatically switches the output to 720p/1080p instead of upscaling to 4K.

My television does a better job at AI upscaling than the Apple TV does, so I have to constantly manually change the output in settings depending on what I’m watching.

Wesd1234

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I swear that is still the ugliest remote I've ever seen for an entertainment device.
Snazzy Labs recently « It’s ugly, it’s covered with buttons, and I love it »

Can’t agree more. I think that the Siri Remote was a better looking remote, but very few people were finding it useful. I think the new one is a better compromise between design and usability, and I think both are importants. I can’t wait to have the new one, I’m sure that it will be a better experience than the Siri Remote (I confess that I did like the Siri Remote and never had big issues with it, but I know Apple can delivers better experience).

In the end, it’s just a remote, people can buy the design of Apple Remotes that they like the more and use it with their Apple TV (Apple still sells the 3rd gen Apple TV Remote)

Reactions: Arran and ErikGrim

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
There needs to be a feature that detects when a video is 720p/1080p and the Apple TV automatically switches the output to 720p/1080p instead of upscaling to 4K.

My television does a better job at AI upscaling than the Apple TV does, so I have to constantly manually change the output in settings depending on what I’m watching.
I think you have to turn “Match Content” on under Video & Audio in Settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.