Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanooh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
My setup: Sony BRAVIA A9G and an Apple TV 4K.

I always have to hit the home button on the Apple TV remote to wake the Sony TV up, and whenever I put the Apple TV to sleep, it would turn off the tv.
NOW it never puts the Sony TV to sleep. The Apple TV goes to sleep, just leaving a "no input" screen on the TV. I just end up having to turn the TV off manually.

I've tried it with the "Control TVs and Receivers" both turned on and turned off in the Apple TV settings.

I also have ensured the HDMI-CEC (in this case, "BRAVIA Sync") is turned on in the Sony TV and I see the Apple TV in the enabled list.

So I've determined that I can turn both OFF using the Sony BRAVIA TV.
So I've determined that I can turn both ON using the Apple 4K REMOTE

On the SONY TV
[BRAVIA Sync control] -ON
[Device auto power off]Power off HDMI devices with the TV. - ON
[TV auto power on] Power on the TV with a connected HDMI device. - ON
[BRAVIA Sync device list] Device/HDMI3 and when I press Enable it says "TV has sent [ENABLE] command to the HDMI connected device
[Device control keys] Tuning keys

On the APPLE TV
Control TV and RECEIVERS - ON

Anyone figure the correct combo to have the Apple Remote turn the sony ON and OFF (sleep)?

Christian1979de

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I have the same issue! :-(
It's really a bummer!

A workaround (which is not really satisfy) is the following:

1. Pull out the HDMI-Cable from the Sony A9G
2. Plug the HDMI Cable to another HDMI-Slot
3. Then bring the AppleTV to Sleep (with the ControlCenter)
4. Pull out the HDMI-Cable
5. Plug the HDMI-Cable again in the Slot, which you have used before!

Then it's working for a While! ;)
But not for a long Time!
It's possible that it works for a few Days, and the Issue appear again...

Then you have to do this Procedure again ;)

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Another unsatisfying workaround is to get a Harmony remote. I’ve always used one along with the ATV remote because the ATV remote cannot turn my Sony sound pedestal on/off. It can control the volume on it (figure that one out).

It’s not bad. I typically use the Harmony to turn everything on with one press and the ATV remote for everything else. The ATV doesn’t turn the sound pedestal off but it turns itself off after 15 minutes of no sound anyway.

The Harmony is also useful for advanced adjustments, mostly changing sound settings (like during movies).

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
I had the 55XE9005 now the 65XG9505. I had no issues with the old TV. I found out ATV is the only one that has the issue. Shield has to issues with turning tv tv off.

I have connected all my things to my Denon Receiver. When I put the ATV to sleep Denon turns off but not the TV. Putting the Shield to sleep Denon and TV goes to sleep.

Only a few times the ATV actually turns of the TV. So here is what I'm doing.

When I put the ATV to sleep. let the Denon turn off and the tv stays on I wake the ATV again and press the sleep button again that makes Denon and the tv go to sleep.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Have you tried hard reboot of the Sony Bravia?
Helps to resolve many issues.
Although I tried on mine (ZD9) today and appleTV turns off both the AVR and TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.