Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated the Apple TV with a brand new National Geographic channel, bringing popular National Geographic shows and content to the company's set-top box. National Geographic first announced plans to introduce an Apple TV channel in November.

nat_geo_apple_tv_menu.jpg

The channel includes shows like Life Below Zero, Live Free or Die, The Incredible Dr. Pol, and more. As with the company's iOS apps, content is available through the Apple TV channel the day after it airs on television. The channel also offers on-demand access to back episodes of popular shows.

nat_geo_apple_tv.jpg

Like many of the channels on the Apple TV, accessing content like full on-demand episodes requires authentication with a cable TV provider. For those without a cable subscription, there are a few select episodes available for free, plus there are digital shorts and clips from shows available for viewing.

Article Link: Apple TV Gains New National Geographic Channel

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I was hoping this would be like the Smithsonian Channel and offer free shows. But I guess the National Geographic is a company to make money and understandably so they have deals with cable companies.

Still, this is nice.

Reactions: k1121j

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
No matter if Apple offers a subscription service or not you will have to pay for the content. Their rumored 25 channels for $40 is more of the same. FIOS now offers smaller grouping of channels (a start). My biggest problem is all of the registering and logging in on all of my devices. With HBO Now via iTunes there is one login and I just restore my subscription. Same for the Feeln Channel. We really need to single sign-on for these as well. Like login to FIOS once and link to my iTunes Account. But my guess is Apple does not want to make this too easy or people would not switch to their bundles.

Reactions: tonyr6 and k1121j

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Please Tim, share good news on this come Monday. Those of us that are cord cutters are starting to feel the lack of love. My hope is that it is not a brainless decision to put content that requires a cable subscription on the ATV. My hope is that there is a master plan that will be announced that finally opens all this content to those of us that refuse to pay comcrap and other cable companies the stupid amounts of money for zero content (if you want content like HBO, you have to pay extra) and terrible service.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
needs more content for the UK and countries other than US only

"Needs" depends on who is needing. They're most likely having a difficult enough time negotiation with the network behemoths in one country. Adding others to the list seems a bit much for now, especially on the verge of what appears to be quite a large relaunch of hardware & software.

It's not absurd that a U.S. company caters to U.S. customers first and foremost. I don't complain that BBC or Al Jazeera news don't cover news in my area of the U.S. enough.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
"Siri" switch to Nat Geo.

"OK, calling Matt Giron"

Do we really need a new MR post whenever Apple adds a channel?
We get it , they will add channels and initially those which are easy to negotiate with,
as in not super popular.

Anybody really interested will find them.

Let's hope at WWDC they show off a better UI guide.
As written before the current view is a mess and totally unApple like.

Although if we add aTV to the Apple services performance, it would match all the other stuff
that doesn't work well or costs too much for what it does.

Reactions: AleXXXa

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
When will they learn that a channel "hidden" is worse then not having a channel? You had one shot, and now even if you resolve the cable tie-in, we won't know.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
My prediction: Apple releases a pass to use any of the channels in the AppleTV for $10-25 a month. You would login similar to the way you log in to HBO Now OR you can continue to use your Comcast, Uverse, FIOS, etc. accounts but there is no actual "tv" other than these apps.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I don't have Apple TV (I live in the UK).

Does the device have a user interface schedule, that amalgamates what channels you have into a single programme schedule?
Or is everything on-demand, so such a schedule would be difficult, meaning you have to open each channel individually to see what programmes are available?

I assumed that Apple being Apple would make the user interface super-easy and super-smooth, but I have no experience of what using an Apple TV is like..

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
"Siri" switch to Nat Geo.

"OK, calling Matt Giron"

Do we really need a new MR post whenever Apple adds a channel?
We get it , they will add channels and initially those which are easy to negotiate with,
as in not super popular.

Anybody really interested will find them.

Let's hope at WWDC they show off a better UI guide.
As written before the current view is a mess and totally unApple like.

Although if we add aTV to the Apple services performance, it would match all the other stuff
that doesn't work well or costs too much for what it does.

I enjoy the ATV updates. But i have the same complaints for apple watch news.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Like many of the channels on the Apple TV, accessing content like full on-demand episodes requires authentication with a cable TV provider. For those without a cable subscription, there are a few select episodes available for free, plus there are digital shorts and clips from shows available for viewing.
Meaning that for those of us who want to cut the cord it does nothing.

Reactions: fivetoedbear

fivetoedbear

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Not horribly enthused. Nat Geo is just another icon in the sea of icons, advertising me to return to the cable television plan I cancelled.

I'm a cord cutter. I've got a TV and Blu-Ray player that stream things, and a Roku and an Apple TV and a TiVo. The best one-controller convenience is the TiVo; it plays my OTA TV as well as Amazon and Netflix and YouTube.

Apple TV will never have an Amazon channel. The Roku, and the TiVo especially, kick Apple TV's butt in the UI and remote control department.

And iTunes has been less than reliable for delivering content to my Apple TV.

I'm hoping they announce something really good next week, because the Apple TV is a buggy little box whose only saving grace is that I can mirror my laptop monitor to it.

EDIT: I guess I never figured out how to hide channels on Apple TV, mostly because I haven't found out how to make it have a purpose.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Unless you're able to subscribe to individual channels like this without the need for a cable tv subscription then what's the point? Might as well just watch it through your cable tv box.

Reactions: fivetoedbear

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
accessing content like full on-demand episodes requires authentication with a cable TV provider.

I'm hoping that Apple is lining up all these channels for the time when they really do compete with cable providers. For now, the channels are redundant. If I need a cable subscription to access the Apple TV version, why not just watch it on cable? If I want to watch past episodes, most are available online anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.