MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ show "Ted Lasso" is likely to end after three seasons, according to a new interview with one of the show's creators, Bill Lawrence (via ComicBook.com).

tedlasso.jpg

Ted Lasso has been among the more popular Apple TV+ shows, and it was renewed for a second season almost immediately after the first season launched. A third season was also approved before the second season has even begun filming.

Ted Lasso stars Jason Sudeikis and follows an American college football coach as he is recruited save a beleaguered English Premier League soccer team, despite having no experience in association football.

Bill Lawrence, one of the show's creators, has now said that Ted Lasso will likely not see a fourth season. During the podcast "Fake Doctors, Real Friends," Lawrence explained to hosts Zach Braff and Donald Faison that Ted Lasso does not suffer from the need to surpass the success of previous seasons as much as other popular shows, such as Disney+'s "The Mandalorian," because it has been designed to be finite:

I think that ours is a little different because Jason, as he's kind of mapping it out, it's a three-season show. So... super-fans know that [The Mandalorian is] connecting tissue in the Star Wars universe, and for us, everybody knows that they get an end to this story in the third season.

Ted Lasso is a three-season show... The only way I think a fourth season of Ted Lasso exists would be if TL went and coached a soccer team that played about a block from Jason's house in real life, you know what I mean? He's got young kids.

Lawrence also implied that Sudeikis has family commitments that discourage prolonged periods of filming overseas, making a fourth season of the show very unlikely.

Ted Lasso's second season is due to begin filming in London in January 2021, with a late 2021 or early 2022 premiere on Apple TV+.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Show 'Ted Lasso' Likely to End After Season 3

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Ted Lasso is the best show on TV right now and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I much prefer a great show to end when the story has been told then to be kept on life support for a decade while the quality of the content drops significantly until there are hardly any fans left.

Comment

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Reminds me of the British Office, also limited to a couple seasons. keeps it perfect.

I do wish the show had more sports in it to tie in with the soccer theme.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbc25 and citysnaps
Comment

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Who has Apple lassoed into watching this show :) ?

To meet the proposed EU Media requirements (a certain percentage has to be EU / UK production), I would have thought Apple would keep this show ?

Reactions: kycophpd
Comment

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
If true, I’m glad they’re going to end at 3 seasons. Sometimes good shows need to end, before they overstay their welcome and go from good to bad. I’m a huge fan of the show - starting watching it when my wife didn’t want to, but after seeing a good chunk of the first season, I knew she would love it, and I was right. She was hooked after 2 episodes.

Apple just needs to keep developing new offerings, so that they don’t get stale with the first round of shows.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Ah, if only this wisdom had been around in my youth. My life would have been spared the existence of “Cousin Oliver” (no disrespect to Robbie Rist, whose career miraculously survived that indignity), Joannie and Chachi—a bona fide worse love story than “Twilight”, and the sight of Fonzie literally jumping the shark.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.