Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+, Apple's new streaming television service, is now available in the TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, and devices like Smart TVs, Roku, Amazon Fire TV sticks, and the web at tv.apple.com.

appletvplus-800x459.jpg

Priced at $4.99 per month for up to six family members, Apple TV+ provides unlimited access to original Apple-created TV shows and movies. Apple is also bundling a year of free service with any recent (since Sept 10th) purchase of an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac. Apple has posted instructions on how to start your free subscription:
1. Turn on your new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, or Mac and sign in with your Apple ID.
2. Open the Apple TV app on November 1 or later. Make sure your eligible device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
3. The offer should be presented immediately after launching the app. If not, scroll down in Watch Now until the offer appears.
4. Tap "Enjoy 1 Year Free." You might be asked to enter your Apple ID password, confirm your billing information, or add a valid payment method. You will not be charged during the 1 year free trial.
Apple TV+ is available in more than 100 countries and regions around the world at launch. Apple TV+ content is subtitled and/or dubbed in close to 40 languages, plus there are closed captions and audio descriptions in eight languages.

dickinsonappletv-800x453.jpg

TV shows that are available at launch include "See," "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "For All Mankind," "Helpsters," "Snoopy in Space," "Ghostwriter," and Oprah Winfrey's Book Club. "The Elephant Queen," a documentary, is also available.

Apple plans to add additional shows to Apple TV+ each month such as "Servant," "Truth Be Told," and "Little America." A full list of Apple's TV shows and movies can be found in our guide.

Apple TV+ content can be watched both online or offline, and there are no ads. Most of the TV shows launching today will premiere with three episodes, with additional episodes to roll out each wee.

If you've purchased an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, or Mac after September 10, you can get a year's subscription to Apple TV+ for free. A free subscription can be activated in the Apple TV app at launch.

iOS 12.3, tvOS 13.2, and macOS Catalina are required for Apple TV+ on iPhone/iPad, Apple TV, and Macs, respectively, but content can be watched on any device by going to tv.apple.com in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

For more on Apple TV+, make sure to check out our Apple TV+ guide. Discuss shows in our new Apple TV+ forum.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Streaming Service Launches With 'Dickinson,' 'For All Mankind,' 'See' and More

Last edited:

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I never signed up and I can watch the episodes??
3F169FA1-3855-4AD7-81B0-7A3EA70A3159.png

EDIT: I watched 2 eps of Morning Wars + For All Mankind. It’s a teaser before you sign up.

Last edited:
Reactions: arn

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
so i was able to watch the morning show just by opening the TV app...nothing with subscribing..does this mean it is true that if u have student discount with apple music then you get access to apple tv for free?

edit: checked and apple claims im subscribed even tho i never actually subscribed

Craigy Boy

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
England
The terms and conditions seem to indicate that you can get your 1 year free trial as long as you sign up within 3 months of Nov 1st. So surely it’s better everyone just waits until end of January to sign up or am I missing something?

There will be more episodes/shows available by January 2020, and by January 2021 you may even be able to watch season 2 of some of the shows for free.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I haven't bought any significant Apple tech (certainly not after September 10) this year, currently rocking an XS and got the free year! Happy days.

Reactions: joeblough

kegan forbes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2017
michigan
im not sure how long this will last but i still had the option show up on my apple tv for the free year from my new phone but i returned the phone a week after getting it. watching the first episode of see right now.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Play/pause button with spacebar doesn't work right (in Chrome on a Mac at least).

Only Apple would launch a new streaming service with the play/pause button not working.

Edit: Also can't alter playback quality. It's trying to stream at full quality which my late 2013 13" MacBook Pro cannot handle. It can't handle it on Youtube, Hulu, or Netflix, all of which let me downgrade the quality. This computer is a furnace that just can't do 1080p which Apple TV seems to be trying to do.

And I can't try it in Safari. I get HDCP errors for all streaming services with Safari even though nothing is connected to the Mac, which is why I use Chrome for all streaming.

Edit 2: Restarted computer running no other apps, still unplayable on a Mac with 16 GB RAM. By unplayable I mean it stutters constantly because it's trying to play back in what I assume is 1080p. Have the same issue with other streaming services but can get around it by downgrading the video quality. For me Apple TV Plus is literally unwatchable.

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
only a few episodes in each series. interesting...

[automerge]1572592002[/automerge]
The terms and conditions seem to indicate that you can get your 1 year free trial as long as you sign up within 3 months of Nov 1st. So surely it’s better everyone just waits until end of January to sign up or am I missing something?

There will be more episodes/shows available by January 2020, and by January 2021 you may even be able to watch season 2 of some of the shows for free.
if you want to wait 3 months to save $15, sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.