Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134652-mlb_tv_apple_tv_500.jpg

As noted by Business Insider, Major League Baseball has announced that live and archived streams of baseball games are now available through the Apple TV. The new services are available through a software update released today as part of the iOS 4.3 rollout.
Enjoy select Spring Training games and a full slate of regular season games on Apple TV.

Regular Season features include:
- HD Quality (where available)
- LIVE and archived games
- Home and away broadcasts*
- Quick navigation to run scoring plays or a particular at bat
The service requires a subscription to MLB.tv, which is available in packages costing $19.99 per month ($99.99 per year) or $24.99 per month ($119.99 per year).

The update also adds access to the National Basketball Association's League Pass feature, providing free access to scores and stats while also offering the option to upgrade to receive live and archived video feeds of games. Video pricing is set at $64.95 for access to watching games for up to seven teams througout the season, or $99.95 for access to all teams' games.

Other improvements include Dolby 5.1 sound for Netflix streaming, a redesigned onscreen keyboard, and new photo slideshow transition options.

Article Link: Apple TV Update Adds MLB.tv and NBA League Pass Streaming Video Subscriptions

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
[NBA] if the local games weren't blacked out, this would be an investment. as it is, its a high priced way to watch the road games of your local team.

infiniteentropy

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Wow

Wow... just, wow.

*blink blink*

Hulu still notably absent. But, wow. This is getting good. Now I can watch NBA (and occasional MLB) on demand and live on my Apple TV2... This. Is. Big. Shows they're opening up the platform, which is bigger than the NBA and MLB themselves. Not totally unforeseen but I'm just awfully impressed at the moment. :apple:

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, I can't wait to see more apps show up, but they will need to update their menu system to hold more.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
When is the UK going to see some love? We don't even have TV show rentals! It's literally Movies, Trailers, Youtube.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
wow... anyone know if League Pass on Apple TV works in the UK?

I know you can get League Pass here, but just wondering if it works on the ATV...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Hey folks -- Gruber is reporting that the NBA is also available on AppleTV...

See http://www.nba.com/appletv/

EDIT: jonnysods beat me to it.... but Gruber's quote is priceless:

"But wait, I’m confused: I read on the Internet that Apple’s new subscription pricing rules were going to keep iOS users from watching cool subscription-based stuff like MLB and NBA games."

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
[NBA] if the local games weren't blacked out, this would be an investment. as it is, its a high priced way to watch the road games of your local team.

You can't watch any games of your local team, home or away.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Home blackouts are what kill these packages for me.

If I was out-of-town of my favourite sports team, I would definately buy the NHL Center Ice online package. Great value for it's convenience.

But, because I'm currently in my home team's market, I can't get the games, except for watching them for free on atdhe.net.

Business models at some companies kill me. I mean, I want to pay, but they're not letting me.

BladesOfSteel

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
St. Paul
I wish these services didn't have local teams blacked out :(

100% agreeeeeed.

Edit: bbeagle beat me to the punch.

The NHL has the same stupid blackout rules.

I get the idea about the blackouts, but if I'm paying for the service, how is that any different then me paying for cable (to get the local Sports channel that carries my NHL and MLB teams)??

Last edited:

gregburbidge

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I'm not going to be at home for a while -- does anyone know if it fixes the problem where content that is unchecked in the itunes library was still showing up on the appletv?

Artsifrtsy

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Eureka Springs AR
How do you update

I know this is a silly question - but exactly how do you update Apple TV? I'm in an odd circumstance in that I don't have actual internet access at my home. I live in a rural area where dial up is the only option and I chucked the landline when the first iPhone came out. I do all my surfing on my iPad 3G. I take my laptop to a wifi zone to update it frequently, but am clueless about the process for the Apple TV.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Home blackouts are what kill these packages for me.

If I was out-of-town of my favourite sports team, I would definately buy the NHL Center Ice online package. Great value for it's convenience.

But, because I'm currently in my home team's market, I can't get the games, except for watching them for free on atdhe.net.

Business models at some companies kill me. I mean, I want to pay, but they're not letting me.

TV networks pay a lot of money to broadcast games, this is why there are blackout rules. they want a monopoly in the local market or huge discount on the fees they pay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.