Apple TV's Estimated Market Share Declines as Customers Await Highly-Anticipated 4K Model

silentmajority

macrumors member
May 3, 2013
I won't be interested in a 4K steaming device until I own a 4K TV. I really don't see the need need for one yet. The 1080 resolution is really good.

Reactions: jonasvyktor

Steeley

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
I have a 4K TV and I switched to using my PS4 for streaming to take advantage of it. Not going to spend another $200+ on ATV to get 4K. No way, no how.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Novus John

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Whatever their excuses for not releasing it sooner, the new atv should not be priced higher than $100. Most TVs nowadays come with an inbuilt smart tv, which is just fine for most use cases, if Apple wants people to buy its smart tv solution more readily, then it should make it cheaper.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
"...as Customers Await Highly-Anticipated 4K Model"

OR... moved on to a different streaming box. They really are commodities at this point. I have a Amazon TV Stick, Roku Express, and ATV4. All work pretty much the same and have similar apps except ATV4 doesn't have Amazon Prime, but that's coming. But the Amazon stick is $40, the Roku express is $30, but the ATV is $130. The only benefit to the ATV4 is the ability to stream shows from your Mac. So I think the ATV5 is going to need a lower price or higher pizzaz than the cheap-o competition to convince people to buy Apple's box.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
You claim customers are awaiting a 4K TV, yet provide no evidence of such. I have a hard time believing average consumers have 4K capable TVs, care about 4K, let alone are even conscious of it...

TV is lower on the totem pole because it's higher priced.
I respectfully disagree. Now that 4K tv's are under $1000, the growth curve will bend towards them now. When people walk into their local Best Buy, that's all they see. As for me, I resisted the :apple: TV4 until AT&T had the DirectTV Now for 3 months, and I got it for free, otherwise I would have stuck with the :apple: TV3, and wait until one that had 4K capability. My timeline for Apple products is 3-5 years (including phones - on the 3 year cycle on those), so buying one that would be defunct in a year would be a bad investment.

thespacekid

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Apple could also easily make the Apple TV the 4th most popular console (behind Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) if they just put a more powerful processor in it and have a standard, first party controller that everyone can use.
In a few years, I'm expecting Tim Cook to say he's surprised to hear of the complaints.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I used to have an apple TV but became fed up and now using Roku devices. I also wanted a new mac mini but as with alot of apple hardware, it gets left behind if its not an iphone... so now looking to go non apple for my desktop.

Ill take another look at apple in 3 years to see if any of these devices have had a refresh.

Reactions: nt5672

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Media floods with "rumors" of 4K Apple TV devices, why would we wanna keeping buying an "outdated" one?

That's un-thinkabble..

Well...not really..

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, I hope ATV update will be more than just 4K. I don't have a 4K set so no big deal.
What I would love is some sort of way for ATV to be independent from a Mac to play a local library. I hate having to turn my MacPro to watch anything.
I have been waiting for this for long time but I am giving up the idea. I'll probably buy and used MacMini and leave it on and transfer all my media library.

jeff051177

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
I've owned and been a massive advocate of apple TV since the first generation..... but the latest incarnation is terrible, sorry to say that, but it is.

Even if you judge it on it's own merits:
  • The software is plagued by bugs
  • App availability is terrible - no Spotify or Amazon prime? I get it that these companies are responsible for producing these apps themselves, but Apple should also realize that the success of their hardware is tied to the availability of these very popular services. People are not ditching Spotify or Amazon because they are not available on the apple tv (in favour of iTunes/apple music), they are ditching the apple TV instead.
  • The remote! What were they thinking? How did that even get through the most basic user testing? Mine is cracked and covered in tape because my toddler dropped it. Seriously, a glass remote?!?!?!
  • Show me how I play a film/song saved (in iTunes) on my (apple) laptop again? I go where now? I can't use Siri? I have to scroll alphabetically to find my film? And it doesn't matter how careful I am, if I scroll even slightly to the left or right, it jumps categories and I have to start from the top again? gah!

And that's even before you start talking about the stuff it DOESN'T do:
  • Where is (configurable) notifications?
  • Where is calendar?
  • Where is maps?
  • Where is facetime?
  • Where is healthkit?
  • Where is basic web browsing functionality?
  • Why doesn't it pause time-machine backups/downloads on my laptop if I'm playing a movie? I can't be the only one who this annoys?
Whats the benefit of the paying the "apple tax" if it doesn't tightly integrate into the apple ecosystem? All of that ^ stuff is easy to implement.... and yet they are not doing it. Why?

Like all Apple products, if you have an iTunes collection of movies, you have no choice but to get an Apple TV if you want to watch them on the big screen. Product tie in!
Not true. Plex is awesome, free, and available on pretty much any device - including directly on my smart TV. It's not perfect, but it's sure-as-sh*t better than the apple TVs interface. The sad fact is that my smart TV does everything the apple TV does, but better.

I find myself increasingly looking for platform agnostic solutions, as I don't want to commit further to an ecosystem that isn't even trying to meet my (quite average) needs.

Apple really needs to blow it out of the water here. Merely adding 4k to the ATV won't be enough to justify dropping $150 on it. They'll need some serious improvements to tvOS, such that spending so much money on something that is essentially replicating functionality built-in to most TVs is worth it. And it better not be yet another monthly streaming subscription service.
100% agreed. The apple TV has the potential to be an amazing product - particularly now. Yet, Apple seem to be deliberately stifling it's development. Add to that, the steaming pile of t*rd that is iTunes....... Apple seriously need to overhaul their whole "in-home" media experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Dillinger

J.Dillinger

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
LG webOS 3.5 on my oled is all I need. After having used a normal remote for the last few months I loathe every time I switch back to the apple remote to watch MLB.tv live.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would have thought the NVIDIA Shield would be up there somewhere, it's by far the best streaming device out there. Seems like price is the determinant of which is most 'popular' rather than which is best.

Frankly, max 1080p output in 2017 is pretty embarrassing for what is meant to be a media streaming/entertainment device for the living room.
The majority of Americans have slow internet.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
I have a Sony XBR 4K 42" TV, and honestly I hardly use it at that resolution. 1080p is fine for me for that size. I only got it because it seems TV manufacturers are shoving 4K into everything, so it's not like I had much of a choice.

The one thing that is nice IMO about Apple TV4 specifically is some of the apps work pretty decent with the fragile glass remote, specifically HBO and Plex. But of course it's not specific to ATV4 per se, but more to the UX designers for each of those apps.

Roku's a cool eco system, but the generic universal UX is all atrocious as evident in their transition to encourage developers to leverage Scene Graph. Even though I have developed Roku apps in the past, I just refuse to use Roku them. The interface and everything about it is just abysmal.

What I would like to see is more TVs have better processing to allow better UX in Smart TV apps

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have a Sony XBR 4K 42" TV, and honestly I hardly use it at that resolution. 1080p is fine for me for that size. I only got it because it seems TV manufacturers are shoving 4K into everything, so it's not like I had much of a choice.

The one thing that is nice IMO about Apple TV4 specifically is some of the apps work pretty decent with the fragile glass remote, specifically HBO and Plex. But of course it's not specific to ATV4 per se, but more to the UX designers for each of those apps.

Roku's a cool eco system, but the generic universal UX is all atrocious as evident in their transition to encourage developers to leverage Scene Graph. Even though I have developed Roku apps in the past, I just refuse to use Roku them. The interface and everything about it is just abysmal.

What I would like to see is more TVs have better processing to allow better UX in Smart TV apps
1080p may be fine for resolution, but without 4K you don't have HDR. And HDR is a game changer. And if you ever plug your new MacBook into a 4K set, you'll see a massive amount of difference in your ability to actually read text from it, vs. the same text on a 1080p set.

Tymmz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2005
I call this non sense.

I can imagine people weren't waiting for 4K, they were waiting for an attractive content package, which still doesn't exist. Of course they got a Fire Stick, but noch because of its hardware, because of Kodi.

architect1337

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Not true. Plex is awesome, free, and available on pretty much any device - including directly on my smart TV. It's not perfect, but it's sure-as-sh*t better than the apple TVs interface. The sad fact is that my smart TV does everything the apple TV does, but better.
Wow - I didn't know you could watch iTunes purchased movies via PLEX. Thanks for letting me know... /s
[doublepost=1503561949][/doublepost]
There's a pretty big asterisk that goes with that 4K gaming feature: *requires PC with GTX 1080 or better GPU.
[doublepost=1503522682][/doublepost]

Nope. You can buy a digital AV adapter and connect through HDMI.
I prefer the method of playing the movie on my iPAD with a webcam facing it, then streamed to an app running my TV. I could do that - but if I want an easier life, and not be a dick, I buy an Apple TV! /s

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2016
Gotta love all these people streaming at "4K", not even realizing that it barely looks better than a Blu-Ray disc.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Because Apple isn't interested in the low end of this category (sticks) and all these studies include sticks. Sticks are a crappy user experience and Apple isn't going to compete with the other companies at the bottom of the category.
Yup. ATV is low end experience with high end price!
[doublepost=1503564916][/doublepost]
Wow - I didn't know you could watch iTunes purchased movies via PLEX. Thanks for letting me know... /s
I would rather buy movies that is not stuck in one platform.