Apple Unveils iPhone 7 With Water Resistance, A10 Fusion, New 'Jet Black' Color, Updated Cameras, No Headphone Jack, and More

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
The big feature here is the quad-core A10 Fusion with 2 efficient cores and 2 high performance ones.

I don't care about the colours, as it'll be stuck in a case anyway. In terms of features, nothing outweighs the loss of a jack.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Surprised Apple upgraded base storage on iPhone 6S and 6S Plus to 32GB. Finally realizing 16GB really isn't that much.

Kudos.
It costs them nothing and is a good hedge against the loss of new sales from those still requiring a jack and highest performance analogue sound.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
You're gonna be waiting two years if you want the 8, 7s comes first.
It is been heavily speculated that, because next year it's going to be the 10th year anniversary of the iPhone, it won't be the "S" version.
As a matter of fact, look at the iPhone 7 design. It's pretty much another iPhone 6 design.

Hence, many believes it'll be called the iPhone 8.

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
From the apple site:

Jet black is available in 128GB and 256GB models. The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone.

The bolded one worries me
That's nothing that wouldnt happen to any other gloss black product ever made. You'd be surprised to find out that nearly every car on the road has a gloss surface that is susceptible to micro abrasions, yet they seem to do just fine.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Surprised Apple upgraded base storage on iPhone 6S and 6S Plus to 32GB. Finally realizing 16GB really isn't that much.

Kudos.
Perhaps I misread it but I thought the 6s still offers 16gb option.

EDIT: Nope you are right. The SE still has 16gb but 6S has been upgraded. Nice!

fatalogic

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2016
Well this will be my first Iphone so I'm pretty excited. Big mac user but just haven't been excited about an iphone till now. the water proofing, stereo speakers and a10 chip are exciting for me

Brien

macrumors 68030
Aug 11, 2008
No more $199, $299, $399 thanks to the extinction of subsidized contract prices. The day finally came.
Yeah. Especially us on grandfathered unlimited plans as we won't get a discount for buying outright... so it's just more expensive.

I'm pretty let down at the lack of Apple Pencil support, so I'll probably be skipping this year's model.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Does anyone know if any thunderbolt headphones have a power passthrough port? If you're low on battery power, how will you power your phone & listen to wired headphones? While I can get BT headphones, but what if they need to be charged as well?
You probably mean Lightning, not Thunderbolt. It's the same issue with the Macbook Retina today when you need to charge it and connect a USB device at the same time. I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a dual Lightning port adapter soon. Maybe we'll even see Lightning hubs.

Reactions: jwdsail and johnmed

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
From the photos, it doesn't look like you can charge while listening to headphones. If true, that's a pretty huge downside. The only option would be to spend more money on wireless headphones of some kind.
I wonder if the new charging dock has 2 lightning connectors?

EDIT - based on the Apple Store it doesn't, in fact it has a 3.5mm jack for headphones...

Last edited: