Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Still no headphone jack. Guess I'll update last years' SE to this year's SE just for the storage. (Sorry by the iPhone Six Plus and all variations are just too big.)

Kameha

Suspended
Aug 17, 2016
Innovation hahaha a Coca Cola phone, everything is in the box except a Red condom so that users can fg the company lol

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
missed opportunity

C7c0dB_W4AEBXAL.jpg
That is true.The red/black combination is very stylish.

Have a look at the Honor V9, the red one is stunning. Shame it sounds like it's China-only.

honor-v9-red.jpg

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Come on Apple, bring back nanochromatic. Even the iPod Touch colors are very bland now. Not as fun.
If inventory is an issue, Apple can create BTO option for some colors with the option of black front. Heck, even Black+gold combo would be quite sick imo.

Oh, and Apple kindly color matched the antenna bands, while failed to do so on the silver/gold/rose gold versions. Seriously, WTF.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Same here, I don´t get why they use the very same white front.
Those huge bezels + white front + different back color it´s something they should really change or offer more options.
A "true" red or rose iPhone would be amazing.
exactly! On top of that, I find that white frame distracting when watching any kind of movie or video. It just draws too much attention

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Product RED just exists to fund Product RED. For instance, in 2007 they spent $100 million on advertising and paying their execs and only $18 million on actually funding a cause. It's a big con for the suits and the ad-men.
According to their financial reports for 2015, approximately 15% of their revenue on administration and fund raising. While it's not a great ratio, it's better than a lot and a lot better than your claim.

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
I bet that 109'990 of the 110'000 employees are the same opinion: the white front sux. But no one asked them. Stupid management...

appleboyy

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Does anyone know what time they're going on sale in Apple stores? Online says 15:01 for the UK?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
In case anyone was wondering, this is Project RED.

https://red.org/what-is-red/

White with red is the correct color scheme for these products.

So, why is there so much black on the Project Red page?

The reality is that black and red was a choice. They could've even made it black bezel, red back, and white Apple logo if they wanted.

All colors represented and it makes sense to do it that way. The white front minus the red ring around the home button is weird.

Reactions: kdarling

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
The more I see it, the more I like it. I wish at least the touchID ring was red though... In the end, all Apple did was take the silver chassis and anodize it in red. Pretty lazy.

Reactions: bunnicula

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very nice! It's a shame they don't have a black front option as that white bezel just reveals Apple's huge bezels from 2012. If they ever came out with a navy blue, black front one I'd be all in.

cpfoto2005

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
It could be both. Let's be clear that it isn't. It's marketed as being a way for consumers to help but numbers are selected to benefit the companies involved first and foremost. Apple typically contributes 14% of the sale price to Product (Red). That's less than average (Gap is about 50%), but to be fair they do have a higher margin than Apple. Of that 14% only 18% go towards assisting with AIDS/HIV. The other 82% goes towards marketing Product (Red) products. That means that the average iPhone sells for $695 contributes $97.30 to Product (Red). So, a $695 purchase sends $17.51 to Africa. Of the $97.30 Apple gets to write off, $79.79 goes to market their product. You can't write it off by the way, because you got a product for it and therefore it wasn't a donation. You made a purchase. Apple "donated" money.

Assuming you got your first phone at 18, you live to be 98 years old, and you get a new Product (Red) iPhone every 2 years you would have made $700 in donations. The IRS says that the average charitable donation by someone making less than $25000 a year is $1,874 a year. Chances are you do more in 4 months than this product will do in your lifetime.

Product (Red) is designed to make you feel better about Apple being more profitable. When it comes to helping though, you would do better by buying four boxes of Girl Scout Cookies.

Of course it isn't a donation. It's the purchase of a phone. The donation part is just gravy. And who doesn't love gravy?

Good for Gap's contribution rate. But the average selling price of a product in a Gap store is much lower than that of an iPhone.

Say for the sake of argument that Apple sells 500,000 of these iPhone in a year (based on ~200 million iPhones sold last year I don't think .25% is unreasonable). 500,000 x $17.51 = $8,755,000. Far more than I will give to all 'good causes' in my lifetime.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple's contribution over the years has added up to $130 million, which I don't feel is "a pointless gimmick".

As for tipping the scales of infection rates and treatment, I never claimed any such thing--so don't put words in my mouth.

So they donated $23 million. I'll clap for them after you telll me how much they made in the process.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Of course it isn't a donation. It's the purchase of a phone. The donation part is just gravy. And who doesn't love gravy?

Good for Gap's contribution rate. But the average selling price of a product in a Gap store is much lower than that of an iPhone.

Say for the sake of argument that Apple sells 500,000 of these iPhone in a year (based on ~200 million iPhones sold last year I don't think .25% is unreasonable). 500,000 x $17.51 = $8,755,000. Far more than I will give to all 'good causes' in my lifetime.

That's why we as a society don't judge people based on the amount they donate but the percent to income. No one is proud of billionaire for making a $100 donation. We are proud of the 14 year old who spent his summer mowing lawns and only made $200. If Apple want to donate money they could pull it out of their unprecedented cash reserves. This is a profit driver not a good will gesture.

Reactions: Demo Kit

cpfoto2005

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
That's why we as a society don't judge people based on the amount they donate but the percent to income. No one is proud of billionaire for making a $100 donation. We are proud of the 14 year old who spent his summer mowing lawns and only made $200. If Apple want to donate money they could pull it out of their unprecedented cash reserves. This is a profit driver not a good will gesture.

As a stockholder, I'm glad they don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.