Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2016
I’ve had the update since it was released a couple of days ago, and have had the opportunity to test it under various conditions. Here are my subjective findings on the AirPods Pro, for those who might be interested.
First of all, the overall sound seems to be a little better than with the last firmware. To me the sound seems a little “clearer”, with a little better soundstage and better separation of the instruments.
The sound is quite balanced, with bass, midrange and tremble nicely adjusted to each other, and none of them too emphasized.
The noise cancellation is either the same or a little weaker. I’ve used my AirPods Pro walking on a busy street, on the bus, at the mall, but also at home - both in total silence and with running water/coffee machine etc in the background.
To me, it seems like it lets in a little bit more noise now than it used to, but no drastically reduction of the NC. But, for those hoping for an improvement of the NC, I think you’ll be disappointed. At best, it’s the same as it was on the previous firmware.
Using the APPs as a hands free for making phone calls, is still almost impossible, unless you’re in a very quiet room. I know that not everybody has this issue. But, I’m now on my fourth set of APPs and they have all had the same issue (my recent pair was bought in 2021). And judging from other people on this forum (and over 6.000 comments - or “me too” - on the official Apple discussion forum), I’m not the only one with this issue.
The problem is that, as soon as you’re outdoors, the microphones will pick up chirping birds, traffic and wind, and your voice is almost impossible to hear for the listener on the other end. I’ve made about 5 phone calls since updating my APPs, and every time, I’ve had to put my AirPods back in the case and hold the phone up to my cheek, like in “the old days”. Very frustrating. Mind you, the much cheaper AirPods v.2 does not have this problem. The person you’re talking with on the phone, might hear that there’s some background noise, but your voice is still coming in loud and strong.
So for you who have this issue, it has not been fixed with this update.
Other than that, I can’t really find anything new to write about this firmware update.
I wish Apple would increase the NC (they could add a new noise cancellation setting, “weak”, “normal” and “strong”, to give the user the opportunity to choose for themselves) and that they would increase the call quality - especially outdoors.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I have two sets of AirPods Pro, one of which I allowed to update, and just did an A/B comparison of both with the same music tracks chosen for their very different sound profiles (Stereolab’s Spark Plug and Rammstein’s Deutschland)

Overall soundstage, bass, and treble are enhanced with the new update, vs 3A283. 3A283 has a more mid-range focus with more mud in the treble.
Did you do any observations regarding active noise cancellation? I feel like this update may have actually been a slight step backwards, but that's based on memory, not actual side-by-side comparison.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I’ve had the update since it was released a couple of days ago, and have had the opportunity to test it under various conditions. Here are my subjective findings on the AirPods Pro, for those who might be interested.
Thanks for the in-depth observations. Your experiences are similar to mine, particularly when it comes to noise cancellation and using the microphone outdoors. The only way I can use the AirPods Pros to make a call outside is if I wear a hoodie, have the hood pulled up over my ears, and have the AirPods mics directed toward my face.

The more I have to contend with people saying "I can't hear you," the more it angers me that we can't get the same quality from these premium earbuds that we do from a cheap wired headset.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Still no new firmware update on my AirPod Pro's - still on 3A283 even after removing them from Bluetooth and reconnecting them. Apple really need a manual update feature just like in iOS.

Reactions: Phuz01

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Still no new firmware update on my AirPod Pro's - still on 3A283 even after removing them from Bluetooth and reconnecting them. Apple really need a manual update feature just like in iOS.
I tried removing and reconnecting as well. The only thing that worked for me was to plug both the AirPods case and my connected device (iPhone) into power. Once they were both charging, the firmware updated immediately.

NorthernSkyLights

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
This is actually very true and no one talks about it.
I agree I can be on a walk talking to a family member with cars driving by. They always say I sound like I’m in a tunnel. It’s frustrating. I end up taking my AirPods Pro off. And just use my phone. Even if it windy outside same results.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Somebody's talking about it. It's just that this individual is a little too shrill and too willing to buy into conspiracy theories. Apple has a lot of chutzpah selling premium headphones that seem to fail at one of their primary functions under fairly ordinary circumstances, but this issue doesn't seem to be denting their sales figures, so they don't have a tremendous incentive to figure out a solution.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I’m guessing the next version of AirPods Pro will address all these issues we are having. Is there any announcement or rumor about when the next version is coming out? Honestly the non-pro version which I had before these never had any of these issues. Of course these have more sophisticated features, but as we are all seeing they seem to be generally a flawed product

dmfresco

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2002
Ann Arbor
No matter what I do, I cannot coax my AirPods Pro to update the firmware. I also have two of the issues, talked about here. 1. The prior settings of Left being Siri and starting off on transparency are consistently lost. 2. My AirPods seem to have greater affinity for joining a MacOS device even when I am trying to pair or I am already using them on a phone call with my iPhone. I wish we could tell them to prioritize a particular device when more than one is in range.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
My airpods (gen 2) just randomly say AirPods connected. They can even be in their case in my backpack. Weird.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
I tried removing and reconnecting as well. The only thing that worked for me was to plug both the AirPods case and my connected device (iPhone) into power. Once they were both charging, the firmware updated immediately.
Im sure that "feature" was not included in any documentation and seems liked a very long-winded (non-Apple) way to update firmware on earphones, yet all iOS devices have a simply "software update" feature - seems ad-hoc for Apple. Your process seems to indicate AC power pushes the update, not Bluetooth alone - notifications would help as well. All truly seems like an after thought.

UPDATE: Connected AirPods Pro in case to AC power and magically the update has occurred - no notification - no nothing to alert the user to this being completed - very un-Apple. Again iOS device updates advertise its updated, not these.

Last edited:

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Im sure that "feature" was not included in any documentation and seems liked a very long-winded (non-Apple) way to update firmware on earphones, yet all iOS devices have a simply "software update" feature - seems ad-hoc for Apple. Your process seems to indicate AC power pushes the update, not Bluetooth alone - notifications would help as well. All truly seems like an after thought.

UPDATE: Connected AirPods Pro in case to AC power and magically the update has occurred - no notification - no nothing to alert the user to this being completed - very un-Apple. Again iOS device updates advertise its updated, not these.
Don't shoot the messenger; I just reported what worked for me. Seems like a lot of the AirPods Pro customer experience is very un-Apple. I agree that it would be much better if it were possible to update firmware in the same way you can update an app or iOS, but that's not an opinion Apple appears to share with us.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Of course this is antidotal, but I feel music is not as immersive with this new firmware. Narrower soundstage.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Don't shoot the messenger; I just reported what worked for me. Seems like a lot of the AirPods Pro customer experience is very un-Apple. I agree that it would be much better if it were possible to update firmware in the same way you can update an app or iOS, but that's not an opinion Apple appears to share with us.
Not your fault just find it odd that the AirPod Pro's update process is so un-Apple in the way it does it - no notifications / no alerts / no Software Update button - this "wait and hope" update approach is completely opposite to the rest of iOS updates. Hell, you are not even alerted to the fact the software / firmware was updated - not a word.

The same iOS process should be mirrored / implemented with AirPods and AirPod Pro's - its currently clunky and feels like an afterthought. All Apple hardware / Software should have the same identical update process, but this seems truly ad-hoc and just "bolted on".

NorthernSkyLights

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
I don’t have the best hearing so ya to me all headphones sound the same with the exception of not enough bass if there not enough or voice clarity or sound high. I can’t hear high pitch noises. So I’m not missing out lol. For me the AirPods Pro sound better to me then let’s say Samsung buds. When I try them it barely had bass. Though voice tones were high enough and clear at least to me.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Can confirm the noise cancelling is definitely weaker. Wore these on a flight last week running the previous version and again tonight running the update. Jet noise was noticeably louder while listening to the same audiobook at the same volume levels, sitting in one row farther forward than my previous flight.
Why does Apple continue to nerf the NC functionality of their Pro product? It just boggles my mind. What is it they think they are improving by doing this?
Looks like I’ll be going back to my Bose headphones on my next trip in a week because these just aren’t cutting it after the update.

• Disagree
Reactions: dk001 and srbNYC

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
First of all, the overall sound seems to be a little better than with the last firmware. To me the sound seems a little “clearer”, with a little better soundstage and better separation of the instruments.
The sound is quite balanced, with bass, midrange and tremble nicely adjusted to each other, and none of them too emphasized.
The noise cancellation is either the same or a little weaker. I’ve used my AirPods Pro walking on a busy street, on the bus, at the mall, but also at home - both in total silence and with running water/coffee machine etc in the background.
To me, it seems like it lets in a little bit more noise now than it used to, but no drastically reduction of the NC. But, for those hoping for an improvement of the NC, I think you’ll be disappointed. At best, it’s the same as it was on the previous firmware.
Using the APPs as a hands free for making phone calls, is still almost impossible, unless you’re in a very quiet room. I know that not everybody has this issue. But, I’m now on my fourth set of APPs and they have all had the same issue (my recent pair was bought in 2021). And judging from other people on this forum (and over 6.000 comments - or “me too” - on the official Apple discussion forum), I’m not the only one with this issue.
The problem is that, as soon as you’re outdoors, the microphones will pick up chirping birds, traffic and wind, and your voice is almost impossible to hear for the listener on the other end. I’ve made about 5 phone calls since updating my APPs, and every time, I’ve had to put my AirPods back in the case and hold the phone up to my cheek, like in “the old days”. Very frustrating. Mind you, the much cheaper AirPods v.2 does not have this problem. The person you’re talking with on the phone, might hear that there’s some background noise, but your voice is still coming in loud and strong.
So for you who have this issue, it has not been fixed with this update.
Other than that, I can’t really find anything new to write about this firmware update.
I wish Apple would increase the NC (they could add a new noise cancellation setting, “weak”, “normal” and “strong”, to give the user the opportunity to choose for themselves) and that they would increase the call quality - especially outdoors.
I have lots of complaints about call quality on AirPods Pro but not with AirPods 2. Let’s hope this improves things.

Dom_

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
Could it be that some of those people didn't have battery >50% in the case or AirPods and Apple only updates then? This would explain why some have to wait longer after plugging it in...

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
I agree with this. I was actually shocked at how poor the quality sounded with the last firmware update. The sound was muddy and you couldn’t pick apart the individual instruments as easily. To me it sounded like 96kbps stuff at times even with some “Apple Digitial Masters”. This firmware update has separated the instruments better and the vocals are clearer too. It’s closer to CD quality to me but still room for improvement.

It’s a bit annoying that Apple can release a firmware update that we get no choice in upgrading to and we have to sit for months listening to bad quality sound because they messed up. I actually switched to using my PowerBeats Pro for a while because of it.

NorthernSkyLights

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
It’s a bit annoying that Apple can release a firmware update that we get no choice in upgrading to and we have to sit for months listening to bad quality sound because they messed up. I actually switched to using my PowerBeats Pro for a while because of it.
You do have a point there. Suppose a update button would come in handy if we feel we want to update our AirPods.

Reactions: srbNYC and AJTC

endquote

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
My AirPods Pro haven't been used or plugged in during the last week, but they somehow got updated anyway it seems. Perhaps if the battery life is high enough, they don't need to be plugged in. (The case is at 79% now.)

There were notes this week about "Apple Music HiFi", and also improved support on Windows. Perhaps this is related to those updates.

NorthernSkyLights

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2021
There were notes this week about "Apple Music HiFi", and also improved support on Windows. Perhaps this is related to those updates.
We can only speculate on that one. It's also a shame there no way to do a beta testing on firmware for airpods. I seriously would love that also so we can give feedback before its released.

My biggest grip is voice call. People can hear me just fine when im like lets say in a quiet room that doesn't echo. Though if im in the kitchen were there stuff going on or out and about on a walk. And hardly anyone can hear a word I say. This is why I wish we could give feedback to Apple about firmware updates.

The background noise in my opinion just destroys the ideal value of these headphones. And im sure there better options.

Will I go for another pair in the future? I honestly can't say. Ive only had mine since Jan. Im not looking to upgrade any time soon until they die out. Or I can't get them replaced under the 3 year apple care warranty. At the moment of time. Im likely not going to spend another 250 dollars on headphones ever again. Unless I feel there worth it.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2016
I really appreciate the “upgraded” sound with better instrument separation etc, as I listen to a lot of music where that’s an important thing. I guess it depends on what musical genre you prefer, but for my use, the new firmware has improved my listening experience, and I listen more to music with my APPs now than I did before.
But, I can’t understand why it has to worsen the noise isolation. If there’s a good reason why you can’t have both good sound quality and a strong noise cancellation, I wish there would be a setting where you get to choose which mode you want. Indoors, improved sound quality would me most important, and outdoors improved noise cancellation would be most important.
As for the call quality, I find myself carrying the AirPods 2 with me, if I expect a phone call while I’m out, and can’t use my hands to hold my phone.
It adds quite a bulk to my pockets, and looks silly, but having a conversation with my APPs while outdoors is practically impossible. All I hear is “what did you say?”, “you sound so distant”, “can you call me back later”, etc.
I really expect more from a product named “pro”. Not being able to use a basic function like making a phone call, is just silly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.