Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
The settings still do not save. Reverts to default each time you connect to a different device. Almost a year now…

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Have replaced my set once so far. Others could never seal. These ones do. But now one ear crackles if you move it at all. Replace it ?

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Had to reboot my phone for this to trigger for some reason. Updated right away with the usual steps.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Take a break from trying to force the update. Go for a 20 mins walk using the AirPods and try again when you reconnect to wifi and bluetooth. Ensure power is plugged into the case. Mine promptly updated.
Hmmmm sounds more and more like some kind of patience exercise… oh Apple, such wily dogs you are!

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Don't have to worry about any APP updates as it eventually does it automatically.
Use the APPs for a few minutes then it's updated, even if you do Not want the update.

The transparency mode seems better.
The ANC.. note so much. It's been downgraded with newer iOS updates. Why bother with APPs if the ANC doesn't work well than it used to before the updates?

The only reason to keep the APPs... bought it so use it and it pairs easily with iOS.
Already looking at many other competitor versions that state it has some sort of ANC/transparency mode. It may not be as good as APPs but it's much cheaper.
Then again, with the way Apple updates handles things, the ANC isn't that great anymore so APPs have become too expensive for what it's not anymore.

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
should i do it through the Apple support app?
Go to a store in person if you can. I got one replaced by the support app at the beginning of the pandemic when all stores were closed. They simply mailed me one for exchange with the faulty one.

Once stores started opening and they officially announced the service program, it became more difficult. I couldn't get the support app chat people to do the same thing. The best I could get was them to book a Genius bar appointment for me when I couldn't find a time myself online.

I think my case was complicated by 2 things: 1) that I had already replaced the other AirPod under warranty and 2) that I was no longer under warranty, but under the service program when the second one failed.

Even when I went in person I could see they were having a hard time in their system giving me the replacement Pod for free....the system wanted to charge me and it required a management override to force the price to free.

But definitely go through whatever hassle it takes...if your AirPod is faulty, Apple owes you a good one.

cjgrif

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
Go to a store in person if you can. I got one replaced by the support app at the beginning of the pandemic when all stores were closed. They simply mailed me one for exchange with the faulty one.

Once stores started opening and they officially announced the service program, it became more difficult. I couldn't get the support app chat people to do the same thing. The best I could get was them to book a Genius bar appointment for me when I couldn't find a time myself online.

I think my case was complicated by 2 things: 1) that I had already replaced the other AirPod under warranty and 2) that I was no longer under warranty, but under the service program when the second one failed.

Even when I went in person I could see they were having a hard time in their system giving me the replacement Pod for free....the system wanted to charge me and it required a management override to force the price to free.

But definitely go through whatever hassle it takes...if your AirPod is faulty, Apple owes you a good one.
I just went through this last week for the crackling issue. I did the support chat and they wanted to book an appointment at a store 1.5 hours away, and I said just to do the mail in option. BestBuy was also showing as an option, but who knows what they would have done...probably just stick it in a box and ship it to Apple for repair 😂 Received the return box last Friday, shipped them off Monday, and the replacements should be here tomorrow. I had to send both L/R (minus the tips) and the charging case, so it will be interesting to see if the serial number is the same or if they just replaced everything. I've been using my old first gen AirPods in the meantime, and that has been a challenge. They last about an hour, so I've only been using one at a time and swapping left/right every hour before it dies lol

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I just went through this last week for the crackling issue. I did the support chat and they wanted to book an appointment at a store 1.5 hours away, and I said just to do the mail in option. BestBuy was also showing as an option, but who knows what they would have done...probably just stick it in a box and ship it to Apple for repair 😂 Received the return box last Friday, shipped them off Monday, and the replacements should be here tomorrow. I had to send both L/R (minus the tips) and the charging case, so it will be interesting to see if the serial number is the same or if they just replaced everything. I've been using my old first gen AirPods in the meantime, and that has been a challenge. They last about an hour, so I've only been using one at a time and swapping left/right every hour before it dies lol
I chatted with them...ya they want me to mail everything to them first because it's "out of warranty"....seems like I could use my Amex extended warranty claim here?? this product is so flawed....I can't believe they're even saying it's "out of warranty" based on the number of replacements

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I checked my Airpod Pros last night, no update. Checked again just now, it's updated. I put it on the Qi charger last night, maybe linking to my iPhone and then charging will trigger the update somehow.

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Issues I've run into so far with my AirPods Pros which I own for less than a month:

• One speaker was charging in the case while the other one for whatever reason was losing juice so I ended with a 100% charged speaker and a 20% one.
  • Random DCs from Windows 10 (audio will stop but the device appears to remain connected)
  • Got extremely hot while charging on brand new magsafe, magsafe inner pad popped out due to excessive heat (got it replaced)
  • Will randomly disconnect from one device (e.g. iPhone) to connect to another one (e.g. Windows laptop) while I'm talking on the phone

Hopefully some of these were addressed in the firmware upgrade

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Settings, Bluetooth, AirPods Pro: forget this device.
Plug in case, open lid, wait for pop-up on phone, re-pair APP.
Instant update here.

Probably been mentioned earlier in the thread, but just in case, or as affirmation of the process.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Update happened overnight. Went to sleep with the old, awoke to the new.

I compare each update to my B&O H5’s. Looking for sound changes.
This latest update for my AirPods Pro the reverb sounds muffled or flat. Especially noticeable when I was playing Linkin Park or some Alan Walker mixes.
I also have noticed the noise cancellation is not as effective especially for screening out voices.

On the other hand I am having far less switching issues between my 12PM and IPP11.

mtdkellie

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Any one else having sound issues since the firmware update. I keep getting crckling on both the sound and the microphone since the update, was usually fine before.

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010

I had a similar experience when mine developed the clicking/crackling. First it was the left pod while still under the 1 year warranty, and I got them to ship me a replacement before sending the broken one back. A couple weeks ago the right pod had the problem, but now out of warranty they wouldn’t pre-ship me a replacement. So I took them to a nearby store, and was glad I did, since both pods failed their in-store test, and they replaced both for free under the extended support program.

Unfortunately what hasn’t been fixed is the pods frequently not charging when put in the case, which is probably a problem with the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.