Apple Updates iTunes to 6.0.1

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently introduced iTunes 6.0 which provided Video support to the iTunes Store as well as support for the new Video-capable iPod.

Today, Apple provides a small update to iTunes in your Mac OS X Software Update:

With iTunes 6.0.1, you can preview, buy, and download over 2,000 videos on the iTunes Music Store and sync your music and purchased videos with iPod to enjoy on the go. To watch purchased videos, you must have Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.

iTunes 6.0.1 features several stability improvements over iTunes 6.

After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to iTunes 6.0.1.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
5 brought a completely new look, along with a couple other fairly big changes, and 6 brought video. If anything, they do seem a bit close together, but both implemented big changes.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
The passage concerning the purchased music makes me think that this is just some anti-piracy update...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
realityisterror said:
These updates are really getting excessive...
5.0.1 should have been 4.9.5, and this 6.0.1 should be iTunes 5

I mean, come on... iTunes 6.0.1?

reality
I'm thinking more that iTunes 5 was supposed to be what 6 is, but something (content?) wasn't ready in time and they ended up disabling some details at the last minute.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
That note sounds DRM-related to me--and thus, probably a glitch in the video DRM. (Or maybe just a glitch in this week's Discovery Download which still gives an error ;) )

Re version 5 to 6... it WAS absurdly quick! Some marketing decision. Companies have done that before--or even SKIPPED versions--and it doesn't make customers happy. It makes it sound like you're getting a huge new re-done version, which is a bit misleading. But here's the thing... when customers are unhappy about that kind of thing, it's because they are asked to PAY for a new major version.

iTunes is FREE! So who cares WHAT Apple does with the numbering :)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
iTunes will remain version 6 until this time next year. It's now in line with iLife '06. It does seem like a very quick update - I wasn't having any issues but that was probably because iTunes 6 is virtually iTunes 5. Updating anyway...

WeBleed4Real

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
I just ran the update.

It did nothing to fix my broken podcast image, so it means nothing to me.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Macrumors said:

Apple recently introduced iTunes 6.0 which provided Video support to the iTunes Store as well as support for the new Video-capable iPod.

Today, Apple provides a small update to iTunes in your Mac OS X Software Update:
Good grief.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Stike said:
The passage concerning the purchased music makes me think that this is just some anti-piracy update...
You mean the bit that goes
"After purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, you will also need to upgrade your other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to iTunes 6.0.1."

Yeah, that worries me a bit. Not be cause I have any dubious content, but as an honest CD buyer I've been f**cked by anti-piracy before
:mad:

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
mac-er said:
And where do you get that information?
Precedent? iLife '04 released Jan '04, iLife '05 released Jan '05. Plus, they have got to have something to release at MacWorld.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
dubbz said:
Maybe they're trying to catch up with Microsoft's Media Player. It'll soon be at version 11.0 :p
I thought this myself. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I'm a software programmer and we have had competitors not only breeze through major version numbers but skip some entirely to try to catch up with our major version number.

When uninformed consumers are comparing two competing software packages it is not uncommon for them to believe that the package with the higher major version number is more refined or better somehow.