Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
i just wanna share my views on "stealing Song" on internet.
for me , myself, i always try to find free download on the net for latest music,
but if after i listened to it and i like it alot, i'll buy the original CD and ripped it to my iTunes library.
Why ???
cause i want to be certain that i have the best sounding quality of a song that i really like it. And also because i like the song / album so much that i sincerelly feel that i need to buy/have their original CD.

I never buy songs from iTunes though cause their ripping quality is quite bad.
i only bought music video but i was pissed cause i can;'t compiled them on DVD for my own personal use :(

And i also think that apple is going "MS" way by charging for a ringtone ???
c'mon apple, don't use such a "cheap" way to produce more income,
Otherwise you will lose your "followers"
and i thought your motto is "be different" but i feel that apple is going "similar" with MS :(

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Especially since it is not at all clear that copying a song for which I have a license (from a CD, for example) to another device to play it (legal), but that it happens to be a ring tone is illegal. In fact, I thought that there was a provision in one of the many copyright acts which forbade interfering with an end user's "fair use" rights, of which I believe this is one. Any lawyers out there who know something about the existing copyright laws?

If Apple is interfering with Fair Use, and that action is forbidden, I expect the suit to be filed any day now. (when monkeys fly out of my nether regions).

Eddie O

IANAL. So this post is worth less than the electrons it took to make it.

The argument put forward by the music industry has been that ring tones do not constitute "fair use". Not even if you ripped the music from a CD. They consider ring tones to be "public performances".

Well, conceivably, if you could guarantee that your phone would only ever ring while you're in your own private dwelling or while you're completely alone or surrounded only by immediate family, then it would be a fair use.

Heck, they've also put forward the idea that playing loud music on your car stereo with the windows rolled down is a public performance and not permitted by fair use.

That argument carries considerable doubt because of the wording of copyright laws in the USA, which seem to indicate that public performances without prior written permission of the copyright holder are only violations of the copyright holder's exclusive rights if you are charging admission for the privilege of listening to the music, or, in situations like restaurants, if you are playing music to create an "atmosphere" while patrons pay for an unrelated primary product or service. (It's actually more complicated than that. Read it if you like.)

However, other sections of the law seem to dictate that, even if certain public performances without prior written permission aren't, in themselves, infringements of copyright, you may still be on the hook for royalty payments after the fact depending on the particular circumstances of the performance, if the copyright holder learns about them.

Apple may well be trying to protect itself from being sued for unintentionally providing a mechanism which facilitates public performances without royalty payments. I thought the Sony Beta trials established that a VCR manufacturer cannot be held responsible for the copyright violations undertaken by its users, and that a similar principle would extend to Apple in this case, but hey, I may be wrong.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Sorry, but that just doesn't sound right.

Code is code, but use of code is context dependent, testing of code is context dependent. Explain to me how it isn't with respect to applications and operating systems.

Ugh, I really don't care, this whole thing is just ridiculous, get over it. :rolleyes:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Languages can be similar or they can be vastly different. Each has their strengths in expressing ideas, much like spoken and written human languages. Don't believe me? Can you read sheet music? If not, why not? If so, take the same song on the sheet music and use English to express exactly (and all) the information on the pages of the sheet music.

OS's are vastly different than Applications. OS's don't have user interfaces. Applications don't have to deal with hardware directly. Optimizations are vastly different in OS's and Applications.

You clearly aren't a developer. If you think you can, write yourself an OS for a Mac or an iPhone using nothing but Applescript. Or Hypercard.

LOL people. I made A comment. That is all. No, I'm not a developer so yes, I do not know. I was basing my statement on Jobs' comment on why Leopard was delayed and the fact that he hasn't hired extra people to work on the iPhone, but rather moved people from other departments within Apple, hence the lack of manpower on Leopard. Due to that fact, I simply made a logical conclusion that Apple is probably taking manpower away from other software development teams to address people not paying for ringtones.

Now, can we please let this horse die in peace? :rolleyes:

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Wow man, thats not just wrong, but WAY wrong! You must not read the end of year articles stating what bands made for touring....60-70 million isn't very far off these days for larger bands such ass Rolling Stones or hell even Nsync made 75 million one year. You think they make that much on the few points they make on cd sales??? Thats not only wrong, its laughable man. Come on, don't claim to have such a benevolent position on the music industry without at least fact checking.

You can't say there is no money in playing music, then flip around and say well only if you are a mega band. You think they are the only ones making more money on tour than other bands? Unless we are talking about a local band who plays to crowds of 50-100 then yes of course there is no money in touring but thats not the type of groups or the types of music quality we are discussing.

No, I don't think that's wrong at all.

The experiences of the outliers do not falsify the experiences of the majority.

And the majority of music makers, the majority of people who are represented on iTunes are NOT the same as U2 or other group whose albums sell in the millions.

(You DID note that the person you were replying to had cuts on iTunes....)

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
This latest update of iTunes to version 7.4.2 is just what I was looking for.

My iPod Classic was not syncing properly, and the 1.0 software was buggy, slow, menus disorganized, etc. Well I tried to apply the 1.01 update to my iPod, but everytime iTunes tried to do so, the iPod would automatically eject before the downloaded software was loaded. iTunes would say the update failed because the iPod could not be found. Needless to say I spent several hours on this fruitless task, mainly because the update process is sooooo slow and the iPod software just creeps along.

iTunes 7.4.2 fixed the update problem because it remounts the iPod after downloading the new software. Everything went fine and now I'm enjoying the iPod 1.01 update. This improved the interface somewhat, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The response time, though faster is still a bit ponderous. Some playlists are not in the order that they are on iTunes. Coverflow album art takes forever to display and is therefore useless.

Still, I like my new iPod Classic and these software updates are a step in the right direction.

:)

smallduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Re: not knowing what one is talking about

Sorry to veer off-topic but I can't let this be the last word on this tangent:
OS's are vastly different than Applications. OS's don't have user interfaces. Applications don't have to deal with hardware directly. Optimizations are vastly different in OS's and Applications.

You clearly aren't a developer. If you think you can, write yourself an OS for a Mac or an iPhone using nothing but Applescript. Or Hypercard.

5 minute major for a strawman argument with intent to insult ;^)

Sure OS's have user interfaces. The Finder, Dock, Utilites, etc. aren't part of the OS? Maybe you're thinking just of kernel development, easy mistake. Mac OS development (standard or iPhone flavor) can include work in any of these areas (its early here, forgive whatever omissions):
mach
I/O Kit & device drivers
bsd layers
core service frameworks
high level frameworks
applications
scripting, installers, blah

General application development you usually do, like, the top 3 of those, simple as that. All of it is pretty much the same, and the thing that's least different are the languages: C/C++, Objective-C/Cocoa if you're lucky. Scripting languages are not too different either, really (Applescript being the weirdest). What differs most: the interfaces one codes to, the tools used. This "different coding language = hard" meme needs to stop.

Applications don't have to deal with hardware directly. OS code mostly doesn't either, mostly. Optimizations are vastly different in OS's and Applications. For the most part, I'd say: not so much. These specialty areas you suggest to be widespread are instead, from what I've seen & understand, fringe cases. And consider that there can exist specialty areas in any large codebase, app or OS. Granted, in an OS, certainly moreso.

But my point being: most OS development will be in some middle or high-level area where one is working on some feature implemented in terms of some API, and its pretty much all the same. Developers needing to be taken off the Leopard crunch to add ringtone subterfuge to iTunes & iPhone OS is not an unlikely story.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If it all wasn't so sad, it would almost be funny.

I am a licensed iToner user, as I could not get MakeiPhoneRingTone to work. However, it appears I had an out-of-date version so I downloaded the latest and it worked. Alas, I now had two versions of each ringtone on my iPhone.

Since having the ringtones listed in iTunes is nice, and iToner doesn't do that, I decided to restore my iPhone and use just MakeiPhoneRingTone to transfer my ringtones over.

So now I hear Apple has yet another update designed to break the latest version of MakeiPhoneRingTone. :rolleyes: :mad: :(

I can only assume that since ringtones transferred over with iToner do not show up in iTunes, I am guessing that Apple is continuing to modify the iTunes Ringtone database to break hacks. And I am guessing that iToner isn't using that database, so it's not being broken (so far).

At this point, I think I'll just sit on 7.4.1. It works fine for playing podcasts and music, which is all I ask of it. I have better things to do with my time then re-build my iPhone every week as Apple keeps trying to stay one step behind the hackers...

The only thing I have to say to those here who disagree with how Apple limits your functional capabilities is this:

You shouldn't have bought the d--n thing in the first place. So now there you folks are, $4, $5- or even $600 poorer for having bought the iPhone, and you're whining and complaining about how Apple is being manipulative about their telecom platform. It's their platform to manipulate as they see fit, folks.

Now (speaking as someone who is a U.S. citizen who's thoroughly disgusted with what his country has turned into) when you stop to consider what is going on out there in Corporate America, we are all collectively at fault for not putting a stop to this years ago, but frankly we're all so seemingly divided and distracted over our own areas of personal responsibility that we can't see past the end of our collective noses.

The people who, in my view, are the ones doing the right thing are the people in the FSF/OSS movements and those associated with the EFF or other such groups. For my part, where possible I try my darndest to use FSF/OSS solutions. Sometimes, it simply isn't possible, and if I still choose to maintain that area of functionality, you won't hear me whining and complaining and incessantly bitching about the proprietary solution I've settled for. But, what you will see is my constant paying attention to whether or not an FSF/OSS solution comes along and whether it is sufficiently mature for my uses.

I use iTunes with the two iPods I own, and I do this because my current OS platform of choice is Tiger. I own the music players I own because I view them to be better solutions than anything else out there, and part of that is because they have no contraindicative limitations which would otherwise have the tendency to drive me elsewhere. I also run Tiger and not Linux (even though I physically could do so) because my Macs are all PPC based, and frankly Linux is just not as up-to-date supported on that architecture as it is on the x86 architecture. However, my eye is always and ever to the horizon when it comes to new hardware purchases, so time will tell.

In the meantime, people, do your homework and research before spending money on something. Studies have shown this is key to a better product ownership experience. ;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Anyone know if they allow you to specify, whether in menu options or by aliases that iTunes actually #$%^ing recognizes, where to put movies and TV shows? (hahhahahaha dream on)

Well, you could always move your Movies directory to another hard drive manually and then place a soft-link to it in your Music directory. That's not too hard, But it would upset iTunes a lot (I think) if you didn't have the hard drive plugged in.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
We should probably take 99% of the posts in this thread and create a new iPhone miscellaneous whining thread.

No one is actually talking about the topic of this thread, the iTunes 7.4.2 update. That's what I want to hear about. I don't have an iPhone and couldn't care less about freaking ringtones. Sheesh!

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
iTunes 7.4.2 "breaks" firewall rules governing music sharing on Mac OS X 10.4.10

Last night I updated from 7.4.1 to 7.4.2. Nothing else changed on my Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 DUO) running Mac OS X 10.4.10.

I immediately found that none of my other computers nor my Apple TV could reach my shared music library, which is hosted by the Mac Mini.

I normally run with the firewall enabled and in fact the box is checked to allow iTunes music sharing. HOWEVER, since upgrading to iTunes 7.4.2, the firewall rule is somehow no longer sufficient.

I had to turn off the firewall in order for my other computers and the Apple TV to be able to reach my shared library on my Mac Mini.

Effectively, something has changed w.r.t. sharing in iTunes 7.4.2, such that the default firewall rules in Mac OS X 10.4.2 are no longer allowing clients to connect to the iTunes shared libraries.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
That's because I don't think john lennon would like to have his songs exploited on cell phones and other various devices.

Maybe he would've loved to hear "imagine" playing on every cell phone in the world, sharing the message he was trying to convey. Exploited? I think not.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Ummm.. I guess you're too young or naive, but do you not play live?
The record industry is only 100 years old, iTunes 6 years old. How did artists make money for thousands of years before recorded music? By playing live.
It may hurt your feelings that people rip your stuff but you need to go back to basics if recorded music is part of what you depend on to make money. Sorry.

In the words of Steve Jobs...

Compete with it. Play live.

There are many artists who don't perform but rather WRITE music and lyrics: if tunes are ripped, they don't get paid. The usual royalty (mechanical license) for a song is 9.2 cents per copy / download. So more than just the performers are harmed by illegal copying. But use of songs or parts of them as ringtones is another matter entirely as long as the original song was acquired legally.

Eddie O

n8ivg33k

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
Quick question

I just updated the itunes with a non-hacked iPhone using iPhoneRingToneMaker for the pc.. and it still works with out any issues... you still have to manuelly go into iPhoneRingToneMaker and do there restore!!!

Do you know if the restore keeps the ringtones assigned to your contacts? I am afraid it will reset all my contacts ringtones back to Marimba!!:)

rwross

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
iPRTM

iPRTM does seem to restore the ringtone to your assigned contacts if you do not open settings or contacts first.

Here's my guess at what's going on. When you open settings->sounds or open any contact, the iPhone validates that the sound you have assigned is, in fact, on the phone. If it's not there, Welcome to Marimba.

Soo..if you Sync with iTunes and then immediately loadt iPRTM and do a restore, then you place the ringtones back before the iPhone goes looking for them.

Anyway...that's my guess. YMMV and I have not confirmed this works with 7.4.2 because i'm still clinging to 7.4.1 in the false hope that Apple realizes that most people want to be able to make at least one ringtone that isn't part of their meager collection of ringtones.

/begin sarcasm

That said, since the ringtone for my son is one of his Band's original works, I think Apple should either let me put that back on my phone or find him a record deal so that he can sell it on iTunes and I can happily pay my $1.98.

/end sarcasm

/resume being pissed off

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I don't know why things aren't working for some, but fwiw I was able to use Ringtonator to add tones with 7.4.2. One thing I noticed though, is that it does not seem to work if the filename is the same as something already in your library. But as soon as I change the name, it loads just fine.

matias1021

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
so i download the Itunes update..and now Itunes doesnt recognize my IPod...it charges but the Ipod thing doesnt show...:confused:

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
No one is actually talking about the topic of this thread, the iTunes 7.4.2 update. That's what I want to hear about. I don't have an iPhone and couldn't care less about freaking ringtones. Sheesh!

That's all there is to this--ringtones. Apple "fixed a bug" with iTunes plus songs not being ringtonable. And they broke all the DIY ringtone methods, and only iToner and that other shareware ringtone software appears to work anymore.

What do you want to know about 7.4.2? It's been like 10 days since the last update, how much do you think they added? iTunes 7.4.2 adds zero functionality to a computer with no iPhone. Really, iTunes 7.4 adds nothing to a computer without an iPhone. So what are you waiting for? Someone to post in about an "Easter Egg" in iTunes 7.4.2 that makes you coffee and toast in the morning?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

All the changes to iTunes 7.4.2 were to support and deny ringtones on the iPhone. It fixed some bugs with Apple's official iTunes ringtones and broke some hacks with unofficial ringtones.

If you don't have an iPhone, iTunes 7.4.2. offers nothing - functionally or codewise. No reason to download it, much less install it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
:eek: i hate my school's connection

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 65

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
In the meantime, people, do your homework and research before spending money on something. Studies have shown this is key to a better product ownership experience. ;)

Agreed. However, at the time I purchased my iPhone (before ringtones) there was no official word on ringtone capability. So, of course owners would find a way to make use of their own ringtones. It wasn't until Apple announced owners had to pay another $.99 that people became irate.

So, in this instance there wasn't much to research and it is fair to assume people got shafted (just a weeeee bit). :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.