Apple Updates .Mac - More Storage, Groups and Backup 3.0

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated their .Mac service overnight. The site has been revised to reflect the changes.

The .Mac account now has a 1GB of combined email and iDisk storage. The Family Pack now offers 2GB of storage.

.Mac Groups - "your place to get connected with friends and family online."
- Group Photos
- Announcements
- Group Calendar
- Share photos and files
- Post messages

Backup 3.0
- Preset backup plans for iLife content and other Mac essentials
- Automatic scheduling to CDs and DVDs
- Incremental backups
- Advanced file restoration
- The ability to back up more than one Mac to your iDisk

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Liking the .Mac Groups

Started my own just a second ago

No Widgets though...which sucks

but cant argue with one gig and a reasonably speedier iDisk

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
icloud said:
Liking the .Mac Groups

Started my own just a second ago

No Widgets though...which sucks

but cant argue with one gig and a reasonably speedier iDisk
Yeah I want my exclusive widgets, all other features are good though. I didn't notice the iDisk speed but I'll check it out :D

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
Wow, I was just at my local Apple Store and told a cashier I need to renew my .Mac account. I just bought a Mighty Mouse, which I got for $44 (U.S.) after student discount. Upon inquiring whether there was a student discount for .Mac, I was told that there wasn't any, but that he would give me a .Mac boxed package for $69! My lucky day!

nslyax

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2002
Holland, MI
iDisk mounting seems much faster too now. Alas, due to lack of $$, my account will expire in 11 days. Maybe I will sign up again in the future though, especially if they keep up the updates.

Maybe they could offer a 250MB account for $50?

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
1gb is fine but i have 200gb on my server, so i was wondering can i make my server act as my .mac space?

Thank you

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
You also get 2GB space for 50$ more. This is really not bad. I haven't checked out iDisk's speed yet but if it is really faster it is the update we have been waiting for...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Diatribe said:
sweet. :D is it bound to a certain screenname?
Yeah, mine... but, if people want to, I'll open it up to members here. I just wanted to make sure some MR hater didn't get to it first.

I'm going to bed now (or soon), but I'll look into opening it up in the morning.

Tovarizzle

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
In the past week, I've finally decided to drop .Mac after being a customer from back in the iTools days, and this is just too little too late. For the same price I pay for .Mac, I can get so much more hosting elsewhere, and on my same domain name. Not to mention the ability to use MySQL, etc.

However, .Mac is great for those who don't really care enough to do their own hosting and just want it easy.

Thanks for the memories Apple, but I'm gonna need more than that to stick around.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
jsw said:
Yeah, mine... but, if people want to, I'll open it up to members here. I just wanted to make sure some MR hater didn't get to it first.

I'm going to bed now (or soon), but I'll look into opening it up in the morning.
That's great. Nice grab. :)

P.S. I go to work, you go to sleep... how fair is that? :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Diatribe said:
That's great. Nice grab. :)

P.S. I go to work, you go to sleep... how fair is that? :p
Ah, but when I'm starting work, you're done for the day and can have a beer or two... ;)

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
i'm still not getting the one and only improvement i'm waiting for - A PRICE DROP. dotmac is ridiculously overpriced and no ease-of-use argument can justify that.

i'd pay $20 for it, but no more.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Hehe, it's fun to know that I just got upgraded to 2GB of storage space. :D Unfortunately for Apple, now that I have my 1GB with the account, I won't be paying an extra $50 for another 1GB.
-Chase

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Groups eat up 100MB EACH

Perhaps this is an alterable setting (couldn't find it), but beware that each group you create sucks up 100MB of your 1GB of storage.