Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Except that's illegal... :rolleyes: lol. Still, if Apple found a legal way to do that after people payed for it... Like a certain key or something specifically generated for every purchaser, that might work.

That's what I assumed would be part of it: a per-user/family/site key. The BT part would be officially supported by Apple. They would provide a BT client or you could use your own.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
BitTorrent is perfectly legal, and is used for many legal distributions included many of Blizzard's downloads. Granted, there is a large subset of users that trade copyrighted material over BitTorrent protocols, and I don't know if there is a way to require a person to have paid for the .torrent file before they download the content. But provided Apple could get their end figured out BitTorrent would be a perfectly acceptable way to distribute Leopard.
True, but I was referring to the subset. :D I don't doubt Apple could figure out a way to do that, but it's highly unlikely, seeing now that it's more likely that Apple will ship Leopard in nice little boxes as usual. You never know, though... That would actually be a very efficient way to distribute Leopard, as long as they provide sufficient instructions for the less technologically-versed users. I could definitely see Gold Master dropping in a week or so, though.

How about some links to those new wallpapers?
I could be wrong, but that may be prohibited due to the NDA... :confused:

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
For the record.. Leopard beta 9a527 has the same builds of Bootcamp (V2) and iChat (V4, 589) as Leopard Beta 9a528d.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Most distributions use BitTorrent as an alternative to normal hosting.
Oh, ok. I figured it was something to that effect, I just wasn't sure. :p

For the record.. Leopard beta 9a527 has the same builds of Bootcamp (V2) and iChat (V4, 589) as Leopard Beta 9a528d.
Well something changed in iChat, because it's way more stable and actually works now, so Apple must've just changed some really minor things in it. And :D I'm kind of looking forward to not having to download Bootcamp anymore.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I could be wrong, but that may be prohibited due to the NDA... :confused:

Ned? Ned Flanders? Why not click that little triangle (
report.gif
) and ask? :rolleyes:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have the green light from work to purchase a new MBP.
The problem is that I need to buy it this weekend.

Any thoughts out there on the space requirements Leopard will need?
I will have to buy this later and install it.

If you are buying a brand new MacBook Pro, I am sure the last thing you need to worry about is the system requirements. I think the new MacBook Pros come with like 120 to 200 GB hard disk configurations. According to the Developer notes in the most recent build I have seen, Leopard uses 7 GBs of disk space, 12 GBs if you install the developer tools. I am not sure, but the developer previews could contain debug code, by the time it hits GM, the disk space could be less. But, buying a new system today or this weekend will run Leopard like a champ when it comes out, especially with default 2 GBs of RAM in the MacBook Pros.

Leopards minimum system requirements:
800 MHz PPC G4 or Intel
256 MBs of RAM

So, even some of the most old Macs could probably get a new lease on life. In fact, the 800 MHz is considered an artificial requirement, a particular file on the Leopard DVD can be edited through Terminal or third party tools so it can run on slower G4's or even G3 systems. Although, those who have attempted running it on G3's experience lots of performance issues and application crashes and incompatibility.

HTHs

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
I'm ready to bet a delay announcement is imminent. MWSF release anyone? They are way behind schedule and should be having daily updates at this point if they're shipping within 5 weeks.

mogema

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2004
Seeing as I've been using 527 for a couple of weeks with no issues whatsoever, I would think this build is just as good.

527 was alright as far as stability, and so far so has 528d. However, it STILL does not have functioning 802.1X and VPN!! These will HAVE to be completed before any type of release candidate can be named.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Anyone else getting 'The update “Leopard Software Update Client” can’t be installed. Bad address' message when trying to do the Software Update?

macfan1138

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
not ready for prime time

Sorry guys -- the last seed (9A527) wasn't all that stable and I'm not impressed with the minor changes made thus far.

This thing is not ready for prime time.
:(

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
meow

the new os is great. wish i didnt have to keep erasing 10.5 and reinstalling 10.4 before sending my macbook in for yet another hardware repair. they dont like seeing 10.5 on your mac... yet.

doemel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2004
Not that I'm saying I believe they are tracking - they could be though. Every legitimate Leopard copy in the wild had to come from ADC seeding - thus it was downloaded (most likely) from the ADC Connection where you have to sign in with your account. They could be (although I doubt it) putting your id into that dmg file like they do to iTunes downloads.

Well, I hope you realize that the dev seeds are an entirely different matter from the end user product when it comes to anti piracy measures Apple is willing to take. One reason why they want control of their dev seeds is because they don't want details about them to get out in the wild too soon. As for the release product, Apple has most certainly not been tracking the legitimacy of OS X (client). If they're smart, they'll continue to tolerate OS X piracy. Unlike Microsoft, Apple also sells hardware. Plus, just look at the pathetic anti-piracy schemes Microsoft, Adobe and others have come up with:

- they have all been broken withing weeks, sometimes days of release, in rare cases even before the final product shipped
- they create endless headaches for many customers who legitimately obtained their licenses (remember the recent WGA server outage?)
- in general they do NOT give customers any advantage in return for the restrictions, unlike what the software companies would like you to think (I'm still waiting for Adobe floating licenses for small businesses, for instance)

All in all it's just one big fiasco. Apple should keep OS X out of those muddy waters.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Sorry guys -- the last seed (9A527) wasn't all that stable and I'm not impressed with the minor changes made thus far.

This thing is not ready for prime time.
:(

The update that went out today was not the latest seed - there's been a lot of development between 9A527 and 9A5**. You'll find out the "**" sometime in the next couple days, at most a week. ;)

Just (continue to) be patient.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Rocketman is right, my friend's software update would not let him upgrade to the 499 build.

499 wasn't available via Software Update... and 499 had a bug that prevented you from using Software update unless you knew how to work around it.

Hombre

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
The update that went out today was not the latest seed - there's been a lot of development between 9A527 and 9A5**. You'll find out the "**" sometime in the next couple days, at most a week. ;)

Sure. Like... there have been far more advanced builds than 4K78, right?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah, but considering the rate I am still filing new bugs, I am not holding my breath at this point...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.