Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Yeah, but considering the rate I am still filing new bugs, I am not holding my breath at this point...

Of course you realize that if there was no cutoff for bugs, they would never finish development. That's not to say that you aren't submitting them, but just because you submit them doesn't mean that they're necessarily on the list of P2 or higher bugs to fix.

macfan1138

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
The update that went out today was not the latest seed - there's been a lot of development between 9A527 and 9A5**. You'll find out the "**" sometime in the next couple days, at most a week. ;)

Just (continue to) be patient.

I've tried to be patient, but the last seed was actually a step backwards in stability. I've been waiting for the past two weeks in hopes of getting something that doesn't crash constantly (and I'm not even pushing it). I'm still waiting for something that is reasonably stable.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Apple right now. Springing a stable release is not a good thing (assuming it happens).

In the past hour I've crashed at least 3 times. Number of times I've crashed in Tiger in 2007? Zero.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
I've tried to be patient, but the last seed was actually a step backwards in stability. I've been waiting for the past two weeks in hopes of getting something that doesn't crash constantly (and I'm not even pushing it). I'm still waiting for something that is reasonably stable.

I don't have a lot of confidence in Apple right now. Springing a stable release is not a good thing (assuming it happens).

In the past hour I've crashed at least 3 times. Number of times I've crashed in Tiger in 2007? Zero.

You can't even consider this to be a full seed. Its more like a tiny bump, although why it was done I have no idea. The next seed (9A550s range, unless they make some last minute changes and it goes into the 60s) is just around around the corner.

eflaten

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2005
Grapic drivers ?

As I understand Apples drivers to their grapic cards have ben bad, and still are. Or at least not as good as thei could bee. Anyone know of any special effort to get topnotch grapic performance in Leopard?

Game and CAD interested.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You can't even consider this to be a full seed. Its more like a tiny bump, although why it was done I have no idea. The next seed (9A550s range, unless they make some last minute changes and it goes into the 60s) is just around around the corner.

How does the numbers work on the seeds ? Everyone else uses build numbers, why does Apple have this crazy scheme.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I was thinking about this the other day, actually.

I think I've lost my Tiger DVD - fortunately I still have the DVD's that came with my iMac... (but not the ones for my powerbook) - but wouldn't it be so much more convenient if you could buy Leopard for 20% less than a physical copy?

1. It's good for the environment (no packaging)
2. Instant software delivery. We could be downloading it as soon as it goes master.
2. You could re-download any time - automatic backup copy whenever you need it

I say they should do it! And soon!

Of course this doesn't help if your system isn't yet configured for the Internet or you're on a pre-existing system with a newly formatted drive and you need physical media.

This printless version works great for Network admins.

When Apple caters first to the Enterprise we'll all be dead.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
G4 iBook

Hello guys,

I would love to know how Leopard runs on a G4 iBook 1.42 GHz 1 gig RAM ?

I just installed iPhoto 7 and it doesn't run very well. I wish I had kept the old version.

Thanks for feedback
LaForge

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Anyone else getting 'The update “Leopard Software Update Client” can’t be installed. Bad address' message when trying to do the Software Update?

Yes, I got that. I deleted the contents of /Library/Packages and ran Software Update again and it worked.

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
I just want Leopard already, I've been waiting over a year for it and I'm getting impatient...

Stacks, spaces, time machine. It's all so awesome!

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I will be especially looking forward to the rounded contextual menus and subtle blue gradients in Leopard.

Gimme gimme gumdrops!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I'm going for it's gunna be delayed again, I can't see it getting completed in time, either that, or they'll announce it as finished on october 31st 11.59PM but it won't ship for 2 months... for an undisclosed reason :rolleyes:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
anyone have the sad and sneaking feeling Leopard is going to be a train wreck?

Maybe it was the comment from Adobe.

Maybe it is the disgraceful streak of poor decisions and terrible quality Apple has been on of late.

Will Leopard be the final straw? Does Jobs even work at Apple anymore?

Something is wrong/different/off. I hate to say it, but I am sure it's true...

You know, I think you're a bit right.

The last beautiful thing Apple produced (IMO) was the 5G iPod and the new iMacs. MacBook, that new keyboard, Mighty Mouse, all the new iPods (cept the touch/iPhone) just don't have the same Apple look to them. I'm really not keen on some of their latest designs.

But I don't think they can mess up with Leopard. Take Tiger and add some powerful applications (Backups, Core Animation et al) and it can't fail.

Something is off though.

wescravn

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
East Orange
Leopard looking Good!

Leopard seems pretty stable, software update upgraded 9A577 to 9A578d release flawlessly, and it seems to function ok.

Much better than the earlier betas which were hit and miss.:p

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
Question on Disk Utility

Question for you all also running Leopard, when you're in disk utility trying to 'restore' or copy a disk image, do you have issue selecting the destination drive if its a internal DVD or CD drive? For instance, I can drag and drop my source to the appropriate box, but if I try to drag and drop my MATSHITA DVD-R drive to the destination box as I used to in Tiger it simply selects the MATSHITA drive and I'm effectively unable to restore to my drive via disk utility in Leopard.

Am I being a retard or is this actually different than in Tiger?

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Heh, Differential Equations here...new with Leopard: improved preventing of students from doing their homework.

That feature goes back at least to Panther!

But, 4 years on, I can no longer blame Panther for the fact that I'm still working on my thesis.

Leopards minimum system requirements:
800 MHz PPC G4 or Intel
256 MBs of RAM

So, even some of the most old Macs could probably get a new lease on life. In fact, the 800 MHz is considered an artificial requirement, a particular file on the Leopard DVD can be edited through Terminal or third party tools so it can run on slower G4's or even G3 systems. Although, those who have attempted running it on G3's experience lots of performance issues and application crashes and incompatibility.

Good, so all I need is a new HD and my G4 Quicksilver will be revitalized: and ready to give to my brother when I get my MBP. That'll make him a switcher. A G4 running leopard will be a huge improvement over his Pentium2 with Win98.

But obviously there's not much hope for my G3 Wallstreet powerbook... which these days I only fire up when I want to get nostalgic about OS9. Happens more than I'd like to admit, really. Look at the finder guy in the startup sequence, he looks so happy!

I don't know two posts and both of them have the sky falling. Is it just me?

MacBiscuit

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
X = Xeroxing
P = People

V = Very
I = Incompatiable
S = Stuff
T = That's
A = Atrocious

L = Let's
E = Evolve
O = Operating Systems
P = Putting
A = Apple
R = Reaching
D = Desktops

OK I suck at acronyms but you get the point.

XP = EXtremely Problematic
VISTA = Vile Interface, Still Trails Apple
LEOPARD - Lacks Excitement, Or Perhaps A Reason to Download

whereas

TIGER = This Is Generally Exactly Right

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006

Leopard has actually been very stable for me overall, with the exception of 9A527's Safari crashing very regularly. Otherwise, I'd say I've reported fewer bugs with each version.

Ok, I take it back. I've just realized there is a sound issue with this update. I've checked and rechecked my settings, rebooted, etc but this minor update isn't producing any sound. Odd. Any one else having a similar experience? :confused:

hey i see you have blu ray but one question does it work in leopard and can you watch blu ray movies in leopard?

Yup, works perfectly.

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

Got it for roughly $550. I use it mainly for backing up my music and movies. I don't watch much in the way of Blu-ray movies on my Mac, those I save for my 50" Pioneer plasma :cool:.

the new os is great. wish i didnt have to keep erasing 10.5 and reinstalling 10.4 before sending my macbook in for yet another hardware repair. they dont like seeing 10.5 on your mac... yet.

Funny thing. I had to call Apple about some issues with iLife '08. I sent in my log info to the tech support guy. After reading through some errors with me, he pauses and asks "So how's Leopard?" DOLT Of course, I acquired it legally and such, but I wasn't expecting the question. I chuckled. :p

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
But obviously there's not much hope for my G3 Wallstreet powerbook... which these days I only fire up when I want to get nostalgic about OS9. Happens more than I'd like to admit, really. Look at the finder guy in the startup sequence, he looks so happy!

ha, that's great. I do the same with my PB 3400c, but into 8.5. I've even made some posts here on it through Netscape 4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Sound issue fixed

Ok, I fixed the sound issue. I re-installed the "Realtek" sound driver for Mac OS and it reset the lack of sound in this latest update. For those who have written me about the same issue, download the driver package here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads.../RTL8139D(L)/RTL8100(L)<br>RTL8130/RTL8139B(L)

Download the driver for "Mac OS X 10.4". Works fine. Of course, I'm running Leopard on a Mac Pro, I was able to determine the exact sound card used for Mac Pro's but it may differ depending on which Mac you're using...

Hope this helps.

Update: This is the same driver used by MacBook Pro's (and possibly all Intel Mac's presently).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.