Apple Updates Time Capsule to 1 TB and 2 TB Capacities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple this morning quietly updated its Time Capsule combination wireless router and network-attached storage drive to double the models' capacities at the same price points as the previous models: 1 TB for $299 and 2 TB for $499. While Apple's main Time Capsule product page is not yet reflecting the upgraded capacities, the new models are available in the online Apple Store, where a small banner ad on the main store page advertises the upgrade. The new models are currently listed as shipping within 24 hours.

Rumors of a 2 TB Time Capsule first surfaced in early April when an image of a 2 TB Time Capsule box appeared on one of retailer ClubMac's product pages.

Article Link: Apple Updates Time Capsule to 1 TB and 2 TB Capacities

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

That is a really nice upgrade if you are a heavy time machine user.

3. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

agreed, but still $$$$$

5. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

6. planethitsradio macrumors member

Thats a nice little upgrade. It's cool that Apple keeps the price points usually the same when they do the upgrade.

I have a 500gb, thats for Time Machine. The rest goes up on the QNAP NAS and the drives in the Mac Pro.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

If the prices went up, then people would riot. Think about it, the price of the HDDs have gone down dramatically, so why wouldn't the complete package? ;)

8. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Does anyone actually care about Time Capsule??? Its too slow IMO to be used for backups.

9. stade1979 macrumors member

You must be a Great time machine user to buy a 2 tb of the Time Capsule, God I have mine TM at 500 mb that's enough for me. hihih

10. kolax macrumors G3

About time.

Still, I'd rather see an iTunes Server than 2TB Time Capsule..

11. mac ath macrumors member

i am so glad i kept waiting and waiting for the 1TB to have a price drop.

12. planethitsradio macrumors member

Well, they could be like any other company, come out and say "Look NEW and improved, thats why you have to spend another $100".

I hate that!

13. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

The riots will begin soon from people who just bought the old models at the old prices . . .

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

+1. Or anything that allows whole family sharing of iTunes more easily than the current software.

16. roobarb! macrumors member

Bah! I've had a 2TB Time Capsule for ages... ;) http://is.gd/1UiJb

That's the end of the line for the Time Capsule as it stands, though. ISTR that 2TB is the most it's architecture can handle. Not that there's a 3TB HDD. Yet. :rolleyes:

17. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

true that

18. puma1552 Suspended

I did just that on July 1st. Figured since the update it got at MacWorld was the first one in a year, we were stuck at these capacities/pricepoints for another year...go figure.

19. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

wow the funny thing is i was looking at the apple store and didnt even notice the difference
    wow i guess i forgot about the old sizes :D

20. -=XX=-Nephilim macrumors 6502a

Awesome news!

I will be looking for 2Tb drive from September for use with TimeMachine...

This option all of a sudden became attractive :)

21. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Good to hear :) A couple of days I was thinking of getting a Time Capsule or a Airport Extreme, but I thought to hold back for a while as I thought the capacity of the Time Capsule would probably be upgraded anytime soon. Also, the 1TB price was too high for me (as you can get a 1TB external WD drive for about € 90,-). Also I want to upgrade my LAN to Gigabit LAN and as 5 port Gigabit switches still cost around € 50,- it's worth getting a Airport Extreme instead as it contains a 3 port Gigabit switch as well.

I already got a AE 802.11n and a AE 802.11b/g, but the n is US version which has different channels than my Dutch MBP, and the b/g is too slow ;) The Airport Extreme / Time Capsule currently have dual network (n AND b/g) which is a good feature as well :) The I can attach my AE's to my LAN for streaming audio only, or use them on the go :)

And I'd like to have a seperate Time Machine backup unit. Now I set up my linux box for Time Machine backup purposes...

22. zedsdead macrumors 68040

2TB iMac's and Mac Pro's should be coming when they get refreshed again.

23. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

When you have 5 Macs in the house all trying to back up, I think 2TB would be quite useful. I have a 1TB TC at the moment and its almost full, so we have offloaded one of the MacBooks to another external drive for backup.

2TB would also be handy for that extra bit of storage for excess media

24. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

25. andrewsd macrumors 6502

I want one but it's just not the right time for me to spend that sorta dough on something along those lines.. Traveling around Europe, probably wouldn't be the best idea to take one of those to a hostile..