Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Vision Pro, Apple's $3,500 spatial computing device, appears to be following a pattern familiar to the AR/VR headset industry – initial enthusiasm giving way to a significant dip in sustained interest and usage.

apple-vision-pro-orange.jpg

Since its debut in the U.S. in February 2024, excitement for the Apple Vision Pro has noticeably cooled, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Writing in his latest Power On newsletter, Gurman reports a marked decline in the demand for retail demos and sales, based on the Apple Stores he has spoken to:
Demand for demos is way down. People who do book appointments often don't show up, and sales — at least at some locations — have gone from a couple of units a day to just a handful in a whole week. Apple also has had to step up the marketing on its online homepage. There's a huge promo for the Vision Pro at the top of the website — the most aggressive pitch since the device went on sale in early February.
The trend that Apple Vision Pro appears to be following is less likely to be a retail anomaly, and more indicative of a broader issue that has plagued VR technology from its inception: Maintaining user engagement after the initial novelty wears off.

Gurman offers his personal experience of Apple's headset as a microcosm of what he suspects is a wider user trend. His own usage has decreased from daily interactions to just once or twice a week. A significant barrier to more frequent use, he says, is a setup that involves attaching batteries, booting up, and navigating a complex interface, which makes traditional devices like laptops and smartphones more appealing for regular tasks.

Gurman also blames the Vision Pro's lack of a "killer app" and compelling content for further diminishing the headset's appeal. He notes that it feels better suited to solitary activities – say, on a long flight or while working from home – rather than for use in social situations or around co-workers.

It seems Apple still has a considerable task ahead in evolving the Vision Pro into a device that redefines everyday technology use. In the meantime, several bugs that initially plagued visionOS have been resolved, although many of Apple's own apps are still not optimized for the device's operating system.

In the last visionOS update, Apple added Spatial Personas, which make it feel like you are in the same virtual room as another Vision Pro user. Spatial Personas can be used for watching movies and TV shows together, FaceTime and other video calls, using apps like Freeform, playing games, and more. However, the feature needs other Vision Pro owners to appreciate it, and as Gurman notes, they are still few and far between.

Apple is expected to produce fewer than 400,000 Vision Pro headsets in 2024 due to the complexity of manufacturing, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. However, Apple is said to be already working on a new version of the Apple Vision Pro for 2025 that will be priced more affordably. Meanwhile, the first incarnation of the headset is expected to arrive in additional countries later this year.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro Customer Interest Dying Down at Some Retail Stores

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I am surprised Apple did not "book" some famous people to get it hyped more upon release. It seems like they only focused on Tech YouTubers but they needed people like Kim Kardashian to casually wear it in one of her "snaps" or have the Taylor Swift concert exclusively stream on TV+ in an "immersing" Vision Pro (Taylor Version) experience (it does not mean I agree but that is how things sell nowadays). On the other hand you may argue that it is simply too expensive but I am sure there are some people that would have gone into debt for Taylor haha (again, not saying I agree)

1713777505353.png

I have a Quest 3 and I used to use it a lot in the beginning and I still enjoy it when I actually get to it but there is this subconscious aversion in my body that is like "don't put it on your face, it is uncomfortable" and it is already too much work to put it on. Can't just grab it and go like a phone :D its hard to explain haha

oh and also, I know this step is needed to make it fit correctly (which in itself already does not speak for the device) but it is kind of a "hard break" in the online purchase funnel to actually get to buy it. I am sure many people already drop off here like "ugh too much of a hassle" or "what if it does not fit?" "click X on browser".

1713778073334.png

Last edited:

Pbwj

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2018
I'm not shocked by this. Initially, the excitement and allure drew people in, but it has since become more of an expensive novelty item. Many, including myself, returned it due to its heavy design, lack of content/apps, and steep price making it less accessible to many consumers. Despite this, I'm excited about future iterations. All devices has to start somewhere and the future seems promising for the VSP

con2apple

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Germany
They got their hype. But hype is not success.

Even a Kim cannot convince her fans to buy something that is unfinished and whose unique selling point (the external display) is ugly in reality.

People buy something because they recognize added value. Even if it's just "looking like Kim".
The Vision Pro has no added value compared to the competition.
No, high-quality workmanship is not an argumentative added value in everyday life.

Let's be honest, in all these years, neither Apple fans nor "analysts" have managed to give the reason why you should buy a headset at the high price.

2,000 including tax, then it would be interesting as a TV replacement. But not for 3,600 (plus tax!)

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I would be amazed if Apple didn't expect this. From the beginning I believed that the price-point put the Vision Pro in an almost unique category... Too expensive to go mass-market, but easily within reach of businesses and some early-adopters who want to experience Apple's take on VR. They will almost certainly have known that the $3,500 price tag would put it beyond reach for many, particularly for a technology which, outside of gaming, is still incredibly niche.

I see the AVP as almost a proof-of-concept of what Apple can do in the VR space. It gives people a chance, through Apple stores, online reviews and word-of-mouth, to see the potential of the technology. This, in turn, generates an incentive and highlights markets for developers to create those much-needed killer apps.

If the AVP provides a platform on which those killer apps can be imagined and realised, much more widely than sending out devkits to select partners ever could, I expect Apple's next major move will be to release a slightly more refined, less expensive, albeit probably vastly pared down successor.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I would be amazed if Apple didn't expect this. From the beginning I believed that the price-point put the Vision Pro in an almost unique category... Too expensive to go mass-market, but easily within reach of businesses and some early-adopters who want to experience Apple's take on VR. They will almost certainly have known that the $3,500 price tag would put it beyond reach for many, particularly for a technology which, outside of gaming, is still incredibly niche.

I see the AVP as almost a proof-of-concept of what Apple can do in the VR space. It gives people a chance, through Apple stores, online reviews and word-of-mouth, to see the potential of the technology. This, in turn, generates an incentive and highlights markets for developers to create those much-needed killer apps.

If the AVP provides a platform on which those killer apps can be imagined and realised, much more widely than sending out devkits to select partners ever could, I expect Apple's next major move will be to release a slightly more refined, less expensive, albeit probably vastly pared down successor.

Where is my iPhone Fold then! Apple is supposed to wait until something is actually ready. (This is what people always say on here). It even took them 3 (?) software updates to improve their personas. This should have been the case right from the beginning and would have avoided everyone criticising and making fun of those.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
There is no single activity on the Vision Pro or any AR/VR headset that inspires a user to feel they simply cannot accomplish something without their headset. It’s not like a pair of glasses for those with poor eyesight or a wrist watch for telling time or a “smart phone” for a million things we used to use other less versatile devices to accomplish.

Without that feeling of “I just can’t imagine working on this one thing or navigating something or other without my Vision Pro” and without a sub 1K price or amazing and easy to access financing option there’s just no way this or any similar product will take off.

con2apple

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Germany
Doesn’t this happen with basically every single new product? Also Enterprise usage which is difficult to gauge seems to be gaining momentum. Plus let’s not forget it’s been US only.
Umm… no.

apple sold 1.39 millions iPhones in its first year and 11.63 millions in 2008. Also 3 millions iPad 1 80 days after release.

Give people a reason and they transform into customers.
What is the reason to buy a Vision Pro?

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
It is mind boggling (and borderline criminal) that Apple didn't have a plan for more custom content for Vision Pro.

If there was a weekly or even a month release of jaw-dropping custom content for Vision Pro, it would significantly increase the FOMO of not owning a pair.

As it stands, no one feels like they're missing out on VisionPro.

We all might as well wait 5-10 years until they work out the kinks, the price comes down, and there's some actual content to consume.

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Isnt this predictable though?

Even Apple wont be surprised at this surely.

The price point alone is a barrier to all but the most well-off regardless of how 'useful' the device might be. Its simply not an affordable thing for many and therefore cannot have mass-appeal yet.

There was indeed a huge interest at launch with predictably most being the usual attention seeking yootoober wanting to make their 'unboxing, first impressions, review, on day later, one week later, 2 weeks later, why I sent it back' content and then sent it back.

Unless there is a compelling use-case or 'killer feature' - which im sure is the case for some customers... for the majority there isnt and people are finding once the novelty wore off they arent using it much.

These real world anecdotes coupled with the high price point are enough to ensure its not a product with any sort of mass appeal yet.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I'm also confused Apple. You purchased NextVR, so where is the awesome sports and entertainment content?

Next VR is also still available on Quest only?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I think that this product is too intimidating to the average consumer. The setup process, buying process and price of course. Other Apple firsts in a category were very approachable like Watch and iPad.

But yeah, Apple knew this. It’s called therefore Pro to cover this popularity issue. A future regular version must sell like hotcakes by this logic, let’s see how that works out 😅

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think the tech company malaise / downturn has finally hit Apple. My impression is that last year the large teams that have been working on unlaunched technologies for many years (AR glasses, car) were challenged to generate some revenue in the next 18-24 months. The AR team cobbled together the AVP which got management approval to launch, whilst the car team couldn't cobble anything meaningful together (or what they did propose was rejected by management), leading to the team be closed down.

Whether the AVP is enough to buy the AR team time for the true AR glasses technology time to develop or not remains to be seen.

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land
Mehh, I blame it on the greed of Apple execs. What everyone has been asking for is a lightweight companion AR device, that can augment your daily life. Kinda like Google Glass

Instead Apple decided to go down the portable TV path, figuring that they could make a lot more money by making immersive content such as TV Shows, Movies & Sports. What they failed to take into account was that when I can buy a 65 inch TV for like $300, why would I spend $3000 to attach it to my face?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.