Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the Apple Vision Pro headset, the built-in cameras will create a customized "Persona" that resembles the user, and this Persona is used in video chat apps like FaceTime.

Vision-Pro-Spatial-Personas.jpg

Creating a Persona involves a 3D capture of the face and upper body, but it turns out that Apple's technology won't be advanced enough to take glasses into account.

As noted by @M1Astra, visionOS code requires users to remove anything that covers the face, such as glasses. There does not appear to be any kind of secondary scanning mechanism to separately capture a user's glasses, and instead, Apple will allow users to "Select Eyewear" from a variety of options.

vision-pro-persona-glasses.jpg

visionOS code suggests that Vision Pro users will be able to choose from a range of different glasses and sunglasses options that come in common shapes like square, rounded, oval, aviator, and more, with thick and thin frames.

Users will likely be able to find something that is close to their own frames, but there may not be an exact match available. It is not yet clear if color options will be available, but it seems like a level of customization that Apple would offer.

Apple uses the Vision Pro cameras to bring a user's facial expressions and hand movements to their Persona, giving it a more realistic feel that mimics person-to-person interactions.

Personas are one aspect of visionOS that Apple is working on perfecting before the launch of the Vision Pro headset. In September, Apple began surveying developers who have the Vision Pro about their Personas, soliciting opinions on facial expressions, appearance matching, and more.

The Vision Pro headset is set to launch in early 2024 in the United States, and it will be priced at $3,500.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro Personas Have to Wear Generic Glasses

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Huh? Was it ever suggested it’d scan glasses or is this headline basically “product doesn’t do random thing nobody had any reason to expect it to do”?
Maybe because there are some people nobody would recognize if they aren’t wearing glasses as they always do. …like Tim Cook, I guess. ;)

Yeah, I find it a bit weird too. All the more since you won’t be wearing glasses while using the Vision Pro.

adrianjagielak

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
This product really isn't making me interested due to the fact that I wear glasses. Will need to buy prescription lenses, have a choice of N frames, and buy new inserts when my vision changes. I'm guessing Tim Cook doesn't have to worry about such things.
Have you tried contact lenses yet? I recently switched from glasses, and it's much better than constantly wearing something on your face (and I say this having worn glasses for almost my entire life).

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009

With the Apple Vision Pro headset, the built-in cameras will create a customized "Persona" that resembles the user, and this Persona is used in video chat apps like FaceTime.

Vision-Pro-Spatial-Personas.jpg

Creating a Persona involves a 3D capture of the face and upper body, but it turns out that Apple's technology won't be advanced enough to take glasses into account.

As noted by @M1Astra, visionOS code requires users to remove anything that covers the face, such as glasses. There does not appear to be any kind of secondary scanning mechanism to separately capture a user's glasses, and instead, Apple will allow users to "Select Eyewear" from a variety of options.

vision-pro-persona-glasses.jpg

visionOS code suggests that Vision Pro users will be able to choose from a range of different glasses and sunglasses options that come in common shapes like square, rounded, oval, aviator, and more, with thick and thin frames.

Users will likely be able to find something that is close to their own frames, but there may not be an exact match available. It is not yet clear if color options will be available, but it seems like a level of customization that Apple would offer.

Apple uses the Vision Pro cameras to bring a user's facial expressions and hand movements to their Persona, giving it a more realistic feel that mimics person-to-person interactions.

Personas are one aspect of visionOS that Apple is working on perfecting before the launch of the Vision Pro headset. In September, Apple began surveying developers who have the Vision Pro about their Personas, soliciting opinions on facial expressions, appearance matching, and more.

The Vision Pro headset is set to launch in early 2024 in the United States, and it will be priced at $3,500.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro Personas Have to Wear Generic Glasses
Apple is making its own Nintendo MiiVerse. lol

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Will there also be filters that will make the avatars look much more attractive than the real person? Can you save your avatar, so that it will not age?

Seems inevitable... a whole industry of virtual beautification: remove age lines, scars, acne, gray, bald spot, wrong choice of tattoo, thinning, etc and present the perfect version of yourself in perfect attire for every meeting. You may be sitting there in pajamas with bed head and a tooth missing but "they" can see the idealized version of you... and you them (if they like).

I know the pessimists will see this as yet another thing NOT to like but look at reality meetings: makeup, hair, plastic surgery, implants, etc.

During covid, some people were attending meetings with only the upper parts of their bodies suited, etc. and the lower half in whatever state of cover. Vpro will only need a functional face to show emotion & reactions. The rest of the person can be in any state.

I see this as neither negative or positive... but not really that different than the assisted attempts at perfection presentations of individuals at in-person meetings. There are already abundant selfie improving filters. This would simply be video versions of such filters.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
As cool as Vision Pro appears, it ain't for me. Though I admire the engineering. But even if I were all-in on it, I'd have no expectation (or care) on whether it allowed me to mimic my actual glasses. I mean, that's so far down the list I didn't even know it was there.

The real humdinger is when it won't need to manufacture a "persona" but will stream your real face.

And when it isn't a pair of ski goggles. (I still feel that Tim is forcing this to market.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.