Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
If I was Epic I would basically cut my losses, pay the bill, remove ALL Epic apps from Apple app store and only make them available on Google's play store and put notices on Epic's website stating that if people want to play the mobile version of their games they are going to have to purchase an android phone. Gamers will move over to android because they need their gaming 'fix'. Yes Epic will lose out in the short term but gradually mobile gamers will move from Apple to android so they could continue to play their favorite mobile games.

If Epic were to do this, Apple would be the one to lose out big time because they get a big chunk of money from Epic's users. Yes Epic would lose money too but it would hurt Apple more if Epic stopped providing all their games on the app store.
Apple has the people with the most money. That’s the problem everyone has. Epic are just leaving money on the table if you don’t produce for Apple. All that will happen is clone apps of their biggest games will make more money than their own games!

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Ultimately was it really worth it?
I’d love to see how much money Epic has lost over this?
It must be ridiculous. Are they a public company? I can’t believe they are or sweeney would have gone ages ago.
Tim Sweeny owns 51% of it. Epic Games has a market cap of over $30 billion, they'll be fine. It was worth a try, and for Tim Sweeny it was a question of principle, not merely of money.

Last edited:

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
No matter where you stand on this case, I think it’s fairly obvious that Epic acted with hubris and Tim Sweeney has more than a little narcissism in him.

Now they both must reap what they sowed.
Maybe. Or Apple will lose. We don't know yet...lose the court case being discussed in this article.

Last edited:

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
Lawyer prices are disgusting.
They charge as if they take any kind of risk in their line of work, but the only risk they take is not getting the two Porches they want in the same quarter.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Since the precedence will likely make them lose the same lawsuit with Google, they would have to ban all iOS and Android phones. LOL
They can always allow them to use Huawei.

By the way, whenever I look for Huawei on my Mac the following definition appears instead:

1705498979423.png

• Wow
Reactions: mhnd and Apple247

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
If I was Epic I would basically cut my losses, pay the bill, remove ALL Epic apps from Apple app store and only make them available on Google's play store and put notices on Epic's website stating that if people want to play the mobile version of their games they are going to have to purchase an android phone. Gamers will move over to android because they need their gaming 'fix'. Yes Epic will lose out in the short term but gradually mobile gamers will move from Apple to android so they could continue to play their favorite mobile games.

If Epic were to do this, Apple would be the one to lose out big time because they get a big chunk of money from Epic's users. Yes Epic would lose money too but it would hurt Apple more if Epic stopped providing all their games on the app store.
Remember Epic is also suing Google for the Playstore

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
Once the lawsuit is over, it will be interesting to see if Apple lets Fortnite back on the App Store. Especially since I anticipate Android phones will promote Fortnite and the epic store through a partnership as a result of the google play store anti-trust verdict. Fortnite makes money, Apple wants to make money. Apple doesn’t want to have commercials to kids saying can’t play Fortnite on iPhone, but you can on Android.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Epic is going to learn the hard way the consequences of filing frivolous lawsuits, losing, and then having to pay the consequences. Their lawyers should have advised them to pay attention to what happened and is happening today in high profile cases in the centers of power.

As poorly as Sweeney handled this, and acknowledging that they did, admittedly, violate the license agreement, the suit wasn’t entirely frivolous. They did it in the most ass way possible but eventually someone was going to test that policy in court.

In the end they just hurt themselves and precedent more than anything.

This damages motion is as much a warning to others as anything. Don’t try it, because not only can Apple afford more justice than you, you’re going to be paying for it anyway.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So the big question is whether Fortnite will return to the App Store? As a result of the other issue the SCOTUS refused to take up Apple must now allow developers to “steer” their customers to an outside payment system, right? But Apple still gets a cut of that too I believe.

Reactions: Appleman3546
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.