Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
As rightly pointed out, that is an epic issue. But then that’s why epics reputation is down the toilet 😂
It doesn’t matter. If they buy an iPad solely for Fortnite, they will also switch away from it when it doesn’t work for that.

Another example: If Beat Saber was available on the Vision Pro (and worked as well despite the lack of controllers), I’d buy one. Since it isn’t, I won’t. So the presence or absence of a single game impacts Apple device sales. This is also why it seems wrong that they should profit on top of that a 30% from very successful games. It’s not like it’s Apple merit if a game is popular.

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Epic Games disagreed with the App Store policies and challenged them in court. That's what happened here. Or am I missing something?
No, not entirely. Before Epic Games challenged them in court, they chose not to abide by their mutually agreed contract. They went about it the wrong way around.

And then played silly games in public that backfired, and then bar one all of their cases.
I don't care if "Tim Sweeney had it coming" blah blah blah, this has implications for every single app developer on the App Store. It took a company the size of Epic to challenge Apple as small developers can't afford a lengthy court battle, and the outcome is pretty unfortunate for any developer not named Apple.
As a developer, I entirely disagree. It's a pretty good deal, I'm old enough to know the days before the app stores. There is way more money to be made these days. And in the Apple ecosystem, we get access to qualified prospects who actually spent some money.

But it's a choice, they don't have to be on the app store. They haven't been on it for a while. This has nothing to do with Tim Sweeney had it coming or not, he is just plain and simple wrong, and the process of the courts has proven that.
Our court system these days is massively stacked in favor of large corporations like Apple and against small individual developers. Imagine a small developer getting this bill. That's our "democracy" for you.
You won't get the bill if you don't bring frivolous, unwinnable cases. Imagine how many chancers there would be if there weren't costs associated with it.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Apple is NOT the villian in this story. Epic was not injured when they signed a contract agreeing to the terms therein, then refused to abide by it, in sole pursuit of increased profit. Epic should pay up and shut up. Any other action would no doubt result in more damage to their brand and their bottom line.

I agree, that’s why I said they did it the most ass way possible. They could have handled this a lot better and without pissing Apple off so much and without being so publicly grandstanding about it. If Sweeney wanted to make a point he shouldn’t have started off with a flagrant, public, embarrassing violation of the license agreement.

I’m just saying someone was going to test Apple’s App Store policies. I wish it had been someone more…competent.

Reactions: Chuckeee

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No, not entirely. Before Epic Games challenged them in court, they chose not to abide by their mutually agreed contract. They went about it the wrong way around.
How could Epic have handled it better if the goal was still to challenge App Store policies in court? Maybe it could've avoided putting Fortnite on the App Store to begin with, as that's the only way to avoid agreeing to the contract. Or the lawsuit could've been focused on only a couple specific policies and less broad. These are possible answers. Regardless, although it's very hard to argue Epic should've won on everything, the outcome still should've been a bit better for Epic.
But it's a choice, they don't have to be on the app store. They haven't been on it for a while. This has nothing to do with Tim Sweeney had it coming or not, he is just plain and simple wrong, and the process of the courts has proven that.

As a developer, I entirely disagree. It's a pretty good deal, I'm old enough to know the days before the app stores. There is way more money to be made these days. And in the Apple ecosystem, we get access to qualified prospects who actually spent some money.
Entirely reasonable for Apple to:
  • Charge an annual fee to developers with apps on the App Store.
  • Take a percentage of transactions made with the Apple account in-app purchase mechanism.
  • Require any purchases in the app be available with the Apple account in-app purchase mechanism.
The issue I have is with Apple:
  • Not allowing links to purchase content on a developer's separate website accessible in the web browser.
  • Demanding a share of revenue collected via a developer's separate website accessible in the web browser.
  • Keeping less-knowledgable consumers in the dark about prices being marked up 30%.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If I was Epic I would basically cut my losses, pay the bill, remove ALL Epic apps from Apple app store and only make them available on Google's play store and put notices on Epic's website stating that if people want to play the mobile version of their games they are going to have to purchase an android phone. Gamers will move over to android because they need their gaming 'fix'. Yes Epic will lose out in the short term but gradually mobile gamers will move from Apple to android so they could continue to play their favorite mobile games.

If Epic were to do this, Apple would be the one to lose out big time because they get a big chunk of money from Epic's users. Yes Epic would lose money too but it would hurt Apple more if Epic stopped providing all their games on the app store.
Vote with your $$$. I heartily endorse the concept.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]
  • Keeping less-knowledgable consumers in the dark about prices being marked up 30%.
I love the personna of the “less knowledgeable user”. These are the types who:
- gets ripped off by car dealers
- buys watches from a street vendor and believes they are gen-u-ine
- goes into tourist traps to buy electronic merchandise and believes they are getting a good deal etc.
- MR believes they make up the majority of iPhone users. Nope, no savvy iPhone users out in the general population

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
How could Epic have handled it better if the goal was still to challenge App Store policies in court? Maybe it could've avoided putting Fortnite on the App Store to begin with, as that's the only way to avoid agreeing to the contract. Or the lawsuit could've been focused on only a couple specific policies and less broad. These are possible answers. Regardless, although it's very hard to argue Epic should've won on everything, the outcome still should've been a bit better for Epic.

Entirely reasonable for Apple to:
  • Charge an annual fee to developers with apps on the App Store.
  • Take a percentage of transactions made with the Apple account in-app purchase mechanism.
  • Require any purchases in the app be available with the Apple account in-app purchase mechanism.
The issue I have is with Apple:
  • Not allowing links to purchase content on a developer's separate website accessible in the web browser.
  • Demanding a share of revenue collected via a developer's separate website accessible in the web browser.
Issues 1 and 3 were addressed by this ruling. As for 2, if you agree it is reasonable for Apple to collect a licensing fee through IAP, then I have no idea why it wouldn't be reasonable to collect a licensing fee when you link to third party payments.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I love the personna of the “less knowledgeable user”. These are the types who:
- gets ripped off by car dealers
- buys watches from a street vendor and believes they are gen-u-ine
- goes into tourist traps to buy electronic merchandise and believes they are getting a good deal etc.
- MR believes they make up the majority of iPhone users. Nope, no savvy iPhone users out in the general population
My use of "less knowledgeable" means they didn't go out of their way to do extra research for whatever reason. Maybe they have better things to do with their lives than research every little purchase they make. (If it's something as big as a car, well, they'd better make time for that).

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Issues 1 and 3 were addressed by this ruling. As for 2, if you agree it is reasonable for Apple to collect a licensing fee through IAP, then I have no idea why it wouldn't be reasonable to collect a licensing fee when you link to third party payments.
It's a website completely separate from the App Store and built with non-iOS specific technologies. The developer is paying for his own payment integration infrastructure, hosting, and domain of the website. What argument is there for Apple collecting royalties?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It's a website completely separate from the App Store and built with non-iOS specific technologies. What argument is there for collecting royalties?
Because, as the judge made clear in the decision, the licensing fee isn't for processing payments. It's for use of Apple's IP (iOS). Just using a different payment processor doesn't change that.

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Maybe. Or Apple will lose. We don't know yet.
We don't know what yet? SCOTUS denied cert. This case is effectively over. Perhaps another developer with a better case, a better trial strategy, and is not ******* crazy will be able to bring a suit with a different outcome.

ETA: Of course, that next suit will also have to overcome the precedences set in this trial.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Because, as the judge made clear in the decision, the licensing fee isn't for processing payments. It's for use of Apple's IP (iOS). Just using a different payment processor doesn't change that.
I never said I agreed with the judge’s decision, in fact I made it clear the opposite is true…

It’s strange logic anyway. I suppose any website should have to pay royalties to Apple to be rendered correctly in iOS Safari too. That’d be fun to see defended.

Last edited:

gregmancuso

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2014
Epic Games disagreed with the App Store policies and challenged them in court. That's what happened here. Or am I missing something?
You are missing two things:
  1. Both Apple and Epic are large companies making many billions in revenue. Yes, Apple is multiple bigger, but Epic is not some "two guys and trick duck" development house.
  2. Epic did not contest the policies or the contact they agreed to. The flagrantly and knowingly violated the terms of the contract with teh intent to harm Apple and get sued. I guess they did win that part.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I never said I agreed with the judge’s decision, in fact I made it clear the opposite is true…
It doesn't matter if you agree with the decision. It was just a reference to the findings of facts.

"First, and most significant, as discussed in the findings of facts, IAP is the method by which Apple collects its licensing fee from developers for the use of Apple’s intellectual property. Even in the absence of IAP, Apple could still charge a commission on developers. It would simply be more difficult for Apple to collect that commission."

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Look at Apple going full Keyser Söze as a warning to anyone else.

It's disgusting and hilarious at the same time.

spiderman-j-jonah-jameson.gif

Go home, Apple. You're drunk.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It doesn't matter if you agree with the decision. It was just a reference to the findings of facts.

"First, and most significant, as discussed in the findings of facts, IAP is the method by which Apple collects its licensing fee from developers for the use of Apple’s intellectual property. Even in the absence of IAP, Apple could still charge a commission on developers. It would simply be more difficult for Apple to collect that commission."
Your donation to Wikipedia through iOS Safari should have 27% taken by Apple because Apple’s intellectual property was utilized to access the website.

Okay, if that’s the argument being made here, whatever. These judges don’t have a clue how any these of things work, nor would they ever allow a loophole that hurts instead of helps a larger corporation. I’ve stated my opinion so end of discussion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.