Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I don’t use Breathe, but I’m on the Siri face. I was playing around with my Series 2 this afternoon and checking that after WatchOS 4 I could still connect to Wi-if. Powered down my iPhone completely, played around for a few minutes with Watch connected to my home Wi-if, then powered up iPhone. Couple of minutes later, activity notifications started to arrive, along with Achievements. I have no idea if the two things are connected, but it suggests a server-side issue rather than a software bug.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I don't think you get them on Series 0, cause it's been a few days and I haven't seen one. Only getting regular static notifications for all achievements.

I’m on Series 0 and get them every time I complete a circle.

nkr1974

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
has anyone noticed that the "stand" ring in the activity app doesn't show gray anymore when you are within the hour and haven't met the goal? I've tried reseting my watch several times and it came back twice only to disappear again. Makes it difficult to tell if I need to get up and walk before the 50 minute reminder.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I’m on Series 0 and get them every time I complete a circle.

Well tell me what I’m doing wrong then cause I’ve not seen the new animations once and I’ve been running watchOS 4 all week, completing rings every day.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Well tell me what I’m doing wrong then cause I’ve not seen the new animations once and I’ve been running watchOS 4 all week, completing rings every day.

They only show up right when you complete a ring. Any possibility you’re not seeing them then?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
At the keynote Apple introduced Siri talking on Series 3.
Did anyone got it to work?
Yea it works. It needs to be downloaded. It should happen automatically overnight if your watch is charging.

If you are in a hurry, change my Siri voice from male to female or the reverse. It then downloaded the voice and then downloaded it to the watch. If you go to settings and Siri on the watch it will tell you it needs downloading.

Dave

Last edited:

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I'm in the market for buying my first Apple Watch. However, since LTE for Watch isn't supported in my country I'm left with 2 options (surely I'd like the newest/fastest version, which is Series 3):

- buy GPS only
- buy LTE but not being able to use the LTE

Now buying the latter would only make sense for its ceramic back. But I'm still on the fence whether or not it's worth paying extra bucks just for its ceramic back?? I plan to keep my watch for at least 2 years, so I'm worried that if I got the GPS one with composite back it would scratch more easily and thus affect the sensors.

The question here is, can someone tell me if wear and tear/scratching of the composite back material actually affects the sensors AT ALL? For me the principal reason for buying an Apple Watch is its heart rate etc sensors, which appeals to me greatly. Now if those sensors were to become inaccurate because of simply wearing my watch I'd much rather shell out some extra bucks to get the more resilient ceramic back.

Another question is: if I were to get an LTE watch, could I use it just the same as a GPS version minus the LTE? So basically I'd just disable the LTE functionality and then just forget about it?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Wish the Siri watch face was something that was worth using. Cropped apple news story and a cropped picture from my camera isn’t really that great :( it has a lot of potential but at its present state, blah.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Wish the Siri watch face was something that was worth using. Cropped apple news story and a cropped picture from my camera isn’t really that great :( it has a lot of potential but at its present state, blah.
I find it useful for upcoming reminders and calendar events, but one thing that’s lacking is the “It’ll take around 10 minutes to drive home” notifications that we used to have. I’m hoping that the Siri face will develop further over time, with more data sources from third party apps.

Last edited:

iApPel

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2014
If you scroll down and look at the Stand ‘bars’ you’ll see that the bat i

I fixed it! They don't show if you have notifications set to not display until you click them, I turned that off and now I'm seeing the animations.

I have the same issues, but this setting was already turned off, so the problem still exists..no animations after closing a ring

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I have the same issues, but this setting was already turned off, so the problem still exists..no animations after closing a ring

It seems, as others have said, that you do need to be looking at the Watch as soon as the notification comes through. If you’re late, it won’t show again.

Reactions: iApPel

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I find it useful for upcoming reminders and calendar events, but one thing that’s lacking is the “It’ll take around 10 minutes to drive home” notifications that we used to have. I’m hoping that the Siri face will develop further over time, with more data sources from third party apps.

This... I want things sources like Carrot Weather in there, I don't want to be limited to using first party apps.

I'd actually love to see them take what they learn with the Siri face, rename this face "cards" or something like that and allow Siri to work with all watch faces/complications. It'd be great to choose a number of complications for the modular face and have siri prioritise them by content/lack of therein and rotate them. Appointments upcoming? Put calendar in the large slot. Next meeting not til the morning? Calendar complication takes the small slot. No meetings scheduled? Calendar complication is replaced entirely by something else. Nearly sunset? Show me the sunset time. Bedtime? Put my alarm complication in. Weather predicted to be the same for the next 4 hours? Alternate each time i raise my wrist between showing me Carrot Weather or my activity rings.

Reactions: AppleKarma

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I’m not going to stress about the Siri watch face. I think it’s still “cooking”, in a way that Apple wants developers to see what can be expected of it.

I already don’t see the point in making it too overloaded with “cards”, yet I wouldn’t mind picking my favorite two or three. However, I also wouldn’t bother putting one of my most-accessed Watch apps, News360, in a card slot because I’d end up just going to the app itself anyway.

Reactions: Arran

TheWizard80

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Earth
The new animated notifications are not working for me either, read through this thread and tried all the suggestions and still not working. I have even repaired the watch to the iPhone again late last night..

I'm not sure if it's watch OS4 or the activity app not working as they should, as the achievements are not working either, I should have got perfect week yesterday but nothing appeared and the award still shows last weeks date. Also my move streak stopped on the 19th September (update day) even though I have hit it every day.

Any other help or advice would be really appreciated, it's really annoying...

Watch is S2 SBSS with OS4 and the iPhone is a 6s with IOS 11 (it was on the PB program)

Update: Today I've had move and exercise animated notifications so far, stand is due in about an hour!! Maybe the repairing of the devices worked..? I'm also thinking although I closed all the rings on September 19th with the software updates maybe this day has not been recorded by the activity app.

Last edited:

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
It seems, as others have said, that you do need to be looking at the Watch as soon as the notification comes through. If you’re late, it won’t show again.
Yes, there’s the notification chime, raise wrist and the animation starts immediately and only lasts a couple of seconds.

Reactions: iApPel

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Quick question....!!

Pre watch OS 4.0, whenever I received stand notifications to stand, it would always give me 2 options to dismiss: 'Mute' and 'Mute for Today' however, since installing Watch OS 4.0 I am no longer seeing the 'Mute for Today' option? Was this removed or is the setting now buried elsewhere?
:confused:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I’m not going to stress about the Siri watch face. I think it’s still “cooking”, in a way that Apple wants developers to see what can be expected of it.

I already don’t see the point in making it too overloaded with “cards”, yet I wouldn’t mind picking my favorite two or three. However, I also wouldn’t bother putting one of my most-accessed Watch apps, News360, in a card slot because I’d end up just going to the app itself anyway.
Re. the bolded part... you can limit what cards appear:
  1. Open watch app on phone.
  2. Under MY FACES, select the Siri face.
  3. Scroll down to Data Sources and enable/disable the various options.
The first thing I did was turn off photos to stop brutally cropped photos appearing randomly.

Reactions: AppleKarma

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Curious if anyone else has been experiencing this -

My incoming notifications (messages, mail, apps, etc) on the watch have been very intermittent. I've noticed this since installing OS4. Many times during the day I notice my iPhone screen light up with a notification, and I turn my wrist and not only did I not receive the notification on the Watch, the notification pull down shade is empty as well. I've been missing a lot of messages as a result.

So far I've been experiencing the same thing on Series 2 and Series 3 watches that I have. I've even unpaired & restored the watches a few times to see if that would fix the issue. Even erased one of the watches and set it up as new, but the problem still persisted.

Anyone else seeing this issue with notifications?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Seems to be a common problem with watchOS 4 at the moment, and particularly with Activity alerts and notifications. It’s not affecting everyone on OS4, so hard to tell if it’s software related or a server issue.

bonmonika

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Czy te zegarki mogą być wykorzystane do pomiaru czasu uprawiania sportu?

mod edit - Google translation of above
Can these watches be used to measure sports time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.