Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
HELLO,

I am posting this here because this forum is frequented by people from many countries.

The purpose is to clarify a simple Question , When will ECG be rolled out in our own country?

I highlighted this issue previously in another non- Apple Watch thread, and was blasted saying it is not Apple fault but rather pending our own country approval.

For me personally , Singapore, I have reached out and asked my own country “ FDA” , they replied APPLE did not apply for the ECG function.

Now legal wise, in Apple Singapore website, they have no mention of ECG function.
But those who bought it assumed based on the pre release video, it will released in time .

I went to Apple Community website and there are many who are wondering when the ECG will be rolled out.

So I would ask forummers who want to get an Apple Watch or have bought an Apple Watch , should call Apple support and flip the question back.

“ Did Apple raise a request to enable the ECG, if so what was date raised?”

Thanks, let work together to get the life saving technology that we pay/paid full price for!

Reactions: Frank Liew

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Apple hasn’t raised the request for Europe or Canada either.

Maybe by Apple watch 6… maybe :rolleyes:

Wow , for me I am taking the next step.

Getting permission from my gov to spread the official reply from my gov “FDA” to social media here.

Hopefully consumers here will make an informed decision instead of HOPING for the ECG to be rolled out soon.

By the time Apple releases the ECG they might have rolled out to the next Apple Watch.

brentc133

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2012
Wow , for me I am taking the next step.

Getting permission from my gov to spread the official reply from my gov “FDA” to social media here.

Hopefully consumers here will make an informed decision instead of HOPING for the ECG to be rolled out soon.

By the time Apple releases the ECG they might have rolled out to the next Apple Watch.

It’s absolute bs that I can buy the watch in the US and it works in Canada. What the hell does the government health agencies really have to do with it. Just plain bureaucracy! Would a disclaimer from Apple not be good enough?

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
It’s absolute bs that I can buy the watch in the US and it works in Canada. What the hell does the government health agencies really have to do with it. Just plain bureaucracy! Would a disclaimer from Apple not be good enough?

Correct , Apple Watch bought in the US works everywhere.

And if you watch the Apple Watch pre release video, they did say it requires approval from other goverment health agency.

So good for the US citizens who have functional working ECG !
[doublepost=1550966112][/doublepost]
Not sure who you asked in your government, but I’d take their answer with a grain of salt.

I agree that why I asked repeatedly and they have replied Apple did not raise ANY request.
I have asked the confidentiality clause be waived and allow me to Usenet the email to spread to social media .

I have flipped the question back to Apple.

Have Apple raised the request and if when was the date.

If Apple have not raised a request then perhaps in good faith should give consumers knowledge that there is no intention to get approval .
[doublepost=1550966242][/doublepost]
Exactly. There is nobody that will be contactable by the general public that will have the faintest idea what the OP is talking about in my opinion.

I am unsure about your country way of question , but for us here , the email to a gov agency are considered binding !

Confidentiality clause and so on. The person who answered my question has knowledge of the matter .

Reactions: Frank Liew

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I agree that why I asked repeatedly and they have replied Apple did not raise ANY request.
I have asked the confidentiality clause be waived and allow me to Usenet the email to spread to social media .

I have flipped the question back to Apple.

Have Apple raised the request and if when was the date.

If Apple have not raised a request then perhaps in good faith should give consumers knowledge that there is no intention to get approval.

Though I have no way to prove it, I’d be willing to bet my left nut that Apple has been working on adding this feature to every market that they sell the Apple Watch in.

I’d suggest stop harassing your government clerks I am sure they have no idea what is being done in the offices behind them.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Though I have no way to prove it, I’d be willing to bet my left nut that Apple has been working on adding this feature to every market that they sell the Apple Watch in.

I’d suggest stop harassing your government clerks I am sure they have no idea what is being done in the offices behind them.

If Apple is working on it , no one will have any clue.
Since they do not inform anyone or give any dates.
Since Apple is inscrutable , I have only to ask my own Gov if Apple have applied.

And my Gov HAVE to reply to enquirers, and the response and the person replying is credible.

That’s why I have asked for permission to disseminate their reply of Apple inactivity in the social media.

If this is the impetus that will drive Apple to come out and reply then surely it is a good thing for all consumers .

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Guess we just don't know and I have to wait for it to magically appear on our watches after some .1 update...

Actually , you will know .

If you call your gov and ask if Apple have raised a request , if they say negative , then you don’t need to buy the Apple Watch ..

It binary ...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Maybe it works like that where you're from, but when it comes to commercial approvals of technology they don't need to answer.

Try calling them in august and ask if Apple has any new iPhones approved, see if they answer and give any details ;-)

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Actually , you will know .

If you call your gov and ask if Apple have raised a request , if they say negative , then you don’t need to buy the Apple Watch ..

It binary ...

I’m sorry but this is quite simply not true. It does not work like that in most places. 99.9% of anybody that you call will not have the faintest idea what you’re talking about and will give you the default answer of no.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Maybe it works like that where you're from, but when it comes to commercial approvals of technology they don't need to answer.

Try calling them in august and ask if Apple has any new iPhones approved, see if they answer and give any details ;-)

Again if you look at the video, it say they are pending regulatory approval and the same step for other countries too.

So since my gov FDA have replied by EMAIL , that Apple did not raise a request then , it no longer an issue of regulatory approval.

And Yes I have asked to confirm TWICE and both reply is in the negative.

As for IPhones, as you are well aware, their reply will not be in the Negative.
[doublepost=1551192992][/doublepost]
I’m sorry but this is quite simply not true. It does not work like that in most places. 99.9% of anybody that you call will not have the faintest idea what you’re talking about and will give you the default answer of no.

Well I called Apple and they don’t know when they’re will release the ECG feature.

And I have a written EMAIL , indicating EXPLICITLY, Apple have NOT raised ANY request for the Apple ECG function from my gov “FDA” who is in charge of medical devices.

I have asked them to confirm TWICE and have made a request to share the email in social media .
I am sure if they agree for my request, then it is valid that carries the weight of the “FDA” ..

May I ask for you, have you tried asking you gov version of “ FDA” if Apple have raised a request?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Again if you look at the video, it say they are pending regulatory approval and the same step for other countries too.

So since my gov FDA have replied by EMAIL , that Apple did not raise a request then , it no longer an issue of regulatory approval.

And Yes I have asked to confirm TWICE and both reply is in the negative.

As for IPhones, as you are well aware, their reply will not be in the Negative.

Yeah but the clerk who emailed you doesn't know what's happening in the offices around her. You can rest your head at night knowing that Apple is working on getting it approved.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Yeah but the clerk who emailed you doesn't know what's happening in the offices around her. You can rest your head at night knowing that Apple is working on getting it approved.

Well that will depend on the DEPARTMENT HEAD approval to disseminate an OFFICIAL , CONFIDENTIAL correspondence.

As you know bureaucracy, no clerk will be willing to put his/ her head on the line .

But may I ask, why do you insist that Apple is working on this ? Do you have proof ?

Reactions: mrex

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Yeah but the clerk who emailed you doesn't know what's happening in the offices around her. .

what?? authorities are responsible to give right details, and you know - today everything are well documented in databases and even the most stupid clerk will find the correct answer or the clerk will be doing something else..

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
what?? authorities are responsible to give right details, and you know - today everything are well documented in databases and even the most stupid clerk will find the correct answer or the clerk will be doing something else..

Not sure if you are serious. That being said, Apple is known for using NDA's as well. It's absurd to think you can just call your local government office and ask if some company filed paperwork with them. It's none of "your" business. That's between the company and the Government office until it's officially released.

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
This is a key feature for this and future Apple Watches. It might take a long time. The next watch might even be released before ECG comes to Singapore but it will be released like Apple Pay is still rolling out to many countries.

You are correct , it might be the ECG function will come with the NEXT watch or it might not be.
Iy might come in this iteration or it might not be.

Right now, EVERYONE ASSUMES that Apple have taken the necessary step to activate ECG worldwide.

I believe that CONSUMERS who want to buy the current Appl watch should be informed of Apple inaction .
And consider waiting for the next watch . Or wait for a due date from Apple.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Our famous American President, Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) said ‘Don’t believe everything that you read on the internet.’ So just because you can’t find evidence of an application doesn’t mean that there isn’t one or that Apple is not working on it.

The ECG feature is one that Apple wants to implement but there are several possible reasons why it has not been seen on other countries, for example:

- the countries’ health offices said ‘No’ so there is no point in an application.
- Apple watches are regional, so to activate the feature, you'd need the approval of all countries in the region unless Apple is able to activate the feature country-by-country.

That said, I am in the US and have the ECG feature. I’ve used it once when I got the watch, mostly just to see that it worked (it did). I have not used it since, I’ve only taken the single ECG.

It is important to note that all Apple Watches screen for irregular heart rhythm, you just don’t get the ‘printout’ scroll down to ‘Irregular Rythm Notification’ here:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...-notification-available-today-on-apple-watch/

If you really want the ECG ‘printout’ function, you have several options, the US Apple Watch Series 4 is not the only one:

- the Cardiogram app
- dedicated monitors which are available for around $100

I would also imagine that obtaining a US version of the S4 Watch if you’re outside the US market is not going to be a huge hurdle for most of the tech-savvy MR members.

It is a bit concerning to see MR threads from people who clearly want to use the function for reasons for which Apple has said it is not suited or intended - there’s a reason for that. It is a screening function, not a ‘problem monitoring’ function (unless directed by your physician). Even on a US S4, if you answer that you’ve been diagnosed with AF when setting up the Watch, the ECG function will not be available.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.