Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
This seems like a case where "gamification" has actually worked--on a VERY broad audience, not gamers--and to a VERY beneficial result!

It's the biggest reason I wish I wasn't waiting for Apple Watch 2. Waiting will hurt my health!

Yes, you CAN be healthy and exercise without tracking and reminders, and you CAN get an exercise device that does nothing else. But most people won't... I won't. If I got a fitness tracker, it would end up forgotten. (Not to mention it would be less sophisticated, less visual, and with less of an ecosystem of fitness apps.) The Apple Watch has other uses, and the fitness reminders would come with them. I'd actually USE it.

And unlike that forgotten treadmill in your basement, this isn't about the exercise, it's about the motivation! That treadmill is an example of the problem... Apple Watch is one solution. You can't equate the two.

Exactly. I enjoy running and do it with some frequency, though I should do it more. I have a Moov, which is kind of cool. But it only works when I'm exercising. The watch reminds you to exercise, get up, walk around, etc. And because its a watch, you're likely to have it on you (unlike that 400lb treadmill) and get those reminders.

Reactions: V.K.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I'm sure the same could be said for that new treadmill or exercise bike that someone received for Christmas one year which now sits in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs. :)
That's because it's hard to strap these machines to your wrist!

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Although I am usually a smartwatch naysayer here, I must admit Apple created one hell of a good fitness tracker.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This seems like a case where "gamification" has actually worked--on a VERY broad audience, not gamers--and to a VERY beneficial result!

It's the biggest reason I wish I wasn't waiting for Apple Watch 2. Waiting will hurt my health!

Yes, you CAN be healthy and exercise without tracking and reminders, and you CAN get an exercise device that does nothing else. But most people won't... I won't. If I got a fitness tracker, it would end up forgotten. (Not to mention it would be less sophisticated, less visual, and with less of an ecosystem of fitness apps.) The Apple Watch has other uses, and the fitness reminders would come with them. I'd actually USE it.

And unlike that forgotten treadmill in your basement, this isn't about the exercise, it's about the motivation! That treadmill is an example of the problem... Apple Watch is one solution. You can't equate the two.
++1. I don't know how or why it works psychologically but I am certain it does because I observed the same affect (even if it's less comprehensive) with the pedometer++ app I got on the iphone 3 months ago. It doesn't even nag me like the Watch would but I still get the urge to complete my daily step count goal whenever I look at its icon (which displays the current step count). This aspect of the Watch is one of the main reasons I am considering getting the next version (like you I am definitely skipping the first generation). The other big reason would be Apple Pay when and if it arrives in Canada.

Last edited:

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
IMG_3894_1.PNG

What app is this?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I mostly use my Apple Watch like an expensive fitbit, with heart monitor, music control and weather.

I was already exercising regularly before the watch. What it does, though, it getting my ass out of my work chair every hour. My physiotherapist told me that that work wonders for the back and I realized that I haven't had back issues since I got mine.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I mostly use my Apple Watch like an expensive fitbit, with heart monitor, music control and weather.

I was already exercising regularly before the watch. What it does, though, it getting my ass out of my work chair every hour. My physiotherapist told me that that work wonders for the back and I realized that I haven't had back issues since I got mine.

actually, same here!

Reactions: chitoac

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
THIS is one of the primary reasons I purchased/use/love my watch. I'm a fairly health conscious person and utilize a lot of the built-in health tracking features. And, no, I don't see the need to wait for AppleWatch v4 with the built-in GPS, cell radio, and SIM slot. I get to enjoy my AppleWatch everyday while many others just complain/wait.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Had an UP for years and I'd say the biggest benefit is the awareness. Having it there as a reminder to get up and walk or try to hit your steps. The Apple Watch and other wearables take that a step farther with the apps that help push us even more. It's great to see.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
When my watch tells me to stand up, I often do. A few moments afterwards, it tells me I have added another hour to my stand goal. Today, for example, the activity app on my phone says I have stood for 5 out of 12 hours.

I have maybe stood for 90 minutes max today.

Why does the watch seem to think I am standing so much?!

Reactions: AleXXXa

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm sure the same could be said for that new treadmill or exercise bike that someone received for Christmas one year which now sits in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs. :)

Except... my Apple Watch is always on my wrist every day? So it's CONSTANTLY motivating. Since the day I got it, I've been making sure to move at least once an hour, and I get angry at myself for not hitting my calorie-burn number if I miss it.

So yeah, not really anything like a treadmill. :)

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Novelty inspires change, for a bit.

I think people that were already highly active before Apple Watch will find its fitness features a benefit and continue to use those features. However we also saw Nintendo claim the Wii will improve activity among children and adults and this new amazing gimmick will get people on their feet and improve their health. But it didn't take long for the novelty to wear off and most people have a Wii stuck in the back of a closet or on a shelf collecting dust, and most didn't even bother wanting to upgrade to the Wii U.

Smart watches, in general, will fail. Most smart watches are really good at only a few things and people that don't have a continuing vested interest in that small subset of features will move on eventually. I think some form of wrist device will live on for fitness and other niche markets, but I don't think Apple will succeed in making the watch platform a highly coveted and prolific mass content platform like they did with phones and tablets.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The solution.. Come on.. So all the lard arses need to do is drop 400 bucks, and hey presto.. The weight will come flying off.. Id wager that a treadmill is a better fitness solution than so something you strap on your wrist everyday of the week..

I disagree.

Motivation is THE most important thing. I can go out and buy gym memberships, enroll in weight loss programs, treadmills, bikes, etc. and STILL not lose weight. OR - if I have the motivation, I can eat less and exercise more. You don't need to BUY anything to be able to exercise.

The motivation can come anywhere - like I want to look better to impress girls, I want to get healthy so I can see my kids grow up, I want to lose weight for my 20th high school reunion, etc. If you find the RIGHT motivation, you'll keep it up. The Apple Watch's motivation works for a lot of people. It's not simply 'stand', it's where you try to complete rings throughout the day. You see the circle ALMOST complete, and you WANT to complete it. I remember one night where I was 2 minutes shy of my 30 minutes of exercise. Before going to bed, I ran around the bedroom for 2 minutes to finish my goal. I never would have done that without the motivation.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Id wager that a treadmill is a better fitness solution than so something you strap on your wrist everyday of the week.

Not if a large percentage of people don't actually use their treadmills (which is what actually happens according to the stats). If more people actually use their Apple Watch (put it on to tell time or show off, and then later actually pay attention to the health prompts) than their treadmills, more people will make healthier choices.

Reactions: Night Spring

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Guess I'm in the minority then. The watch definitely hasn't encouraged me to be more active. I still love it for other reasons though.

However, when I am ready to be more active, I'm sure the watch will be helpful.

neither, it last me a week or so before it just became a buzzing annoyance every few hours on my wrist lol

it doesnt even seem very reliable. the days i spent most of the time sitting on a desk at the library it says i reached my daily goal of 30 minutes. on other days i am actually hiking or constantly walking and i get 14 minutes out of it

Wow, you think Jonny's fat? The man's built like a tank. You don't have to be toned or "in shape" to be incredibly fit or strong.

have u seen a recent picture of him? he is REALLY fat

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I don't think the Apple Watch will make the slightest difference to the health or fitness of people.

These things will be thrown in the drawer after the honeymoon wears off. It's like joining a gym. At first, you plunge in and try to be good. As time goes on and life sets in, you go less and less, until you realise that your membership isn't worth it, so you cancel it.

I've never seen Jonathan Ive as fat as he is these days. That's ironic as he is the designer of the Apple Watch, a supposed health device. He's not exactly a walking advertisement for it.

Wow, you think Jonny's fat? The man's built like a tank. You don't have to be toned or "in shape" to be incredibly fit or strong.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm sure the same could be said for that new treadmill or exercise bike that someone received for Christmas one year which now sits in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs.

Depends on the statistical percentages. What percentage of treadmills end up in the attic versus what percentage of Apple Watches end up in the drawer after 6 months? If the stats are anything like FitBit's wearables, a lot less Apple Watches will end up in the drawer than home exercise bikes.

ahhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014

Less than four months after the Apple Watch launched, many early adopters are finding that the wrist-worn device has motivated them to make healthy lifestyle changes. From walking and exercising more often to making healthier choices and playing more sports, market research firm Wristly found that many Apple Watch buyers are taking full advantage of the wearable's health and fitness features.

Apple-Watch-Workout-800x411.jpg

More than 75% of survey participants among Wristly's panel of nearly 1000 Apple Watch buyers indicated that they "Strongly Agree" or "Agree" that they have been standing more since receiving the Apple Watch. Similarly, 67% of participants agreed that they walk more, 59% agreed they make better health choices and 57% said they exercise more often with the Apple Watch.

Apple-Watch-Lifestyle-Changes-800x552.jpg

Early adopters are generally satisfied with the Apple Watch's health and fitness features, especially those included stock on the device. An aggregate 89% of survey participants were either "Very Satisfied" or "Satisfied" with the built-in Activity app, while around 80% were satisfied with the heart rate sensor and hourly standup reminders and just over 75% were satisfied with the Workout app.

Apple-Watch-Satisfaction-Features-800x546.jpg

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop echoed similar sentiments in his Apple Watch review in June, in which he shared his personal story about losing 40 pounds using HealthKit and Apple Watch. After ten months of exercising, weight lifting and healthier eating decisions, Dalrymple lost four pant sizes and two shirt sizes, and the Apple Watch kept him motivated to reach his goals:Making healthy lifestyle changes requires consistency, and Wristly found that many early adopters are still wearing the Apple Watch regularly. 86% of survey participants said they are still wearing the Apple Watch on a daily basis, while 12.3% wear it on most days, 1.3% go several days without wearing one and three respondents reported that they no longer wear the Apple Watch.

While the Apple Watch is certainly not the only wearable device motivating people to get in shape, the Move, Exercise and Stand rings, workout summaries, achievement badges, progress updates, personalized feedback and its other health and fitness features appear to have challenged early adopters in ways they did not expect.

Wristly is the largest independent Apple Watch research platform with an opt-in panel of around 1000 Apple Watch buyers. The research firm recently found the Apple Watch to have a 97% customer satisfaction rate, a number that Apple CEO Tim Cook cited during the company's recent third quarter earnings results conference call.

Article Link: Apple Watch Leading to Healthy Lifestyle Changes Among Early Adopters

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.