Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Guess I'm in the minority then. The watch definitely hasn't encouraged me to be more active. I still love it for other reasons though.

However, when I am ready to be more active, I'm sure the watch will be helpful.

Congratulations to you sir for not succumbing to peer (or watch) pressure and exercising. Some of us shall fight this unruly trend!

Reactions: AleXXXa and iBlazed

martygras9

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
I've lost 15lbs (almost 7kgs) since I got my Apple Watch. I stand more, drink more water, do 100 sit ups a day. Heck, my BPM looked high so I decided to stop drinking alcohol and cut down my sodium.

The Apple Watch has DEFINITELY made me more aware of my health.

Reactions: friedmud

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With my Polar M400 and H7 heart rate sensor, I get very accurate heart rate numbers, amongst other health related tracking. It is also water resistant to 30 meters, has notifications, movement prompts, customization, and updates via software.

I am not going to list all the features of the watch but, for less than $180.00, I have a GPS watch and fitness tracker that does a lot more than the Apple watch, not to mention accurately and at a much lower cost.

I am sure many here could make such posts.

For the price and accuracy via the health front, I think the Apple watch is still an overpriced novelty. Should that change in subsequent models, I will reassess the value of the Apple watch in my life.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ahhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
I love my watch but tracking was much better when I was previously was using my fitbit and strava. The result of clear feedback has led to a decrease in movement and exercise. Crap, I'm glad I read this. This is a serious problem.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't think the Apple Watch will make the slightest difference to the health or fitness of people.

These things will be thrown in the drawer after the honeymoon wears off. It's like joining a gym. At first, you plunge in and try to be good. As time goes on and life sets in, you go less and less, until you realise that your membership isn't worth it, so you cancel it.

I've never seen Jonathan Ive as fat as he is these days. That's ironic as he is the designer of the Apple Watch, a supposed health device. He's not exactly a walking advertisement for it.

He's also much older. Sorry that you feel the need to project your personal lack of dedication to your own health to everyone else though.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
With my Polar M400 and H7 heart rate sensor, I get very accurate heart rate numbers, amongst other health related tracking. It is also water resistant to 30 meters, has notifications, movement prompts, customization, and updates via software.

I am not going to list all the features of the watch but, for less than $180.00, I have a GPS watch and fitness tracker that does a lot more than the Apple watch, not to mention accurately and at a much lower cost.

I am sure many here could make such posts.

For the price and accuracy via the health front, I think the Apple watch is still an overpriced novelty. Should that change in subsequent models, I will reassess the value of the Apple watch in my life.

Let me know when you use those devices to pay at the register when you buy your post-workout meal, and then when they alert you to upcoming appointments, or let you check your bank balances, etc. For what is essentially a dollar a day, I see huge value out of the watch.

Reactions: V.K.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Let me know when you use those devices to pay at the register when you buy your post-workout meal, and then when they alert you to upcoming appointments, or let you check your bank balances, etc. For what is essentially a dollar a day, I see huge value out of the watch.
The article and my post was about health. A lot of your post wasn't.

I didn't say the Apple watch didn't have value or wasn't helpful to people. I said it was lacking on the health front in more than one way, compared to the Polar M400.

If I want to make or check appointments, check bank balances and the like, I use my iPhone for such things, when I am out and about.

Last edited:

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Why does the watch seem to think I am standing so much?!

It's not saying that you stood for 5 hours, but that you stood during 5 hour periods. You only have to stand for a couple of minutes during an hour to get credit. It's supposed to help people from sitting constantly for hours on end.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The solution.. Come on.. So all the lard arses need to do is drop 400 bucks, and hey presto.. The weight will come flying off.. Id wager that a treadmill is a better fitness solution than so something you strap on your wrist everyday of the week..

You misread my post. The Apple Watch is one solution (not "the" solution) to exercise motivation.

Obviously you still need the treadmill, or the stairs, or the jog down the street. You're talking as if people think the Watch replaces exercise, which makes no sense. Nobody thinks that. It motivates exercise.

kunia

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
LOL...get a watch - be slimmer and healthier. It'll magically stop the obesity epidemic...:D

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
I was active well before the watch. The watch honestly doesn't make me a single bit more aware, it just tells me useless things like "its time to stand up!" while I am in my car driving. That and the app used to tracking activity is horrible. It takes FOREVER to respond to taps and auto closes when you're done with an activity. Sorry, but I can close the app without the help of the app "thinking" that is what I want to do.

Overall, the watch for me is starting to become a "meh" device. Apple should focus more on polish, really tired of buggy releases.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I don't think the Apple Watch will make the slightest difference to the health or fitness of people.

These things will be thrown in the drawer after the honeymoon wears off. It's like joining a gym. At first, you plunge in and try to be good. As time goes on and life sets in, you go less and less, until you realise that your membership isn't worth it, so you cancel it.

I've never seen Jonathan Ive as fat as he is these days. That's ironic as he is the designer of the Apple Watch, a supposed health device. He's not exactly a walking advertisement for it.

I like how you project your own dislikes onto everyone else just because you can't possibly fathom others liking their Apple Watch. I've had mine on for 3 months now, and I don't ever see it going into a drawer. It's become a big part of my daily routine, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014

Less than four months after the Apple Watch launched, many early adopters are finding that the wrist-worn device has motivated them to make healthy lifestyle changes. From walking and exercising more often to making healthier choices and playing more sports, market research firm Wristly found that many Apple Watch buyers are taking full advantage of the wearable's health and fitness features.

Apple-Watch-Workout-800x411.jpg

More than 75% of survey participants among Wristly's panel of nearly 1000 Apple Watch buyers indicated that they "Strongly Agree" or "Agree" that they have been standing more since receiving the Apple Watch. Similarly, 67% of participants agreed that they walk more, 59% agreed they make better health choices and 57% said they exercise more often with the Apple Watch.

Apple-Watch-Lifestyle-Changes-800x552.jpg

Early adopters are generally satisfied with the Apple Watch's health and fitness features, especially those included stock on the device. An aggregate 89% of survey participants were either "Very Satisfied" or "Satisfied" with the built-in Activity app, while around 80% were satisfied with the heart rate sensor and hourly standup reminders and just over 75% were satisfied with the Workout app.

Apple-Watch-Satisfaction-Features-800x546.jpg

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop echoed similar sentiments in his Apple Watch review in June, in which he shared his personal story about losing 40 pounds using HealthKit and Apple Watch. After ten months of exercising, weight lifting and healthier eating decisions, Dalrymple lost four pant sizes and two shirt sizes, and the Apple Watch kept him motivated to reach his goals:Making healthy lifestyle changes requires consistency, and Wristly found that many early adopters are still wearing the Apple Watch regularly. 86% of survey participants said they are still wearing the Apple Watch on a daily basis, while 12.3% wear it on most days, 1.3% go several days without wearing one and three respondents reported that they no longer wear the Apple Watch.

While the Apple Watch is certainly not the only wearable device motivating people to get in shape, the Move, Exercise and Stand rings, workout summaries, achievement badges, progress updates, personalized feedback and its other health and fitness features appear to have challenged early adopters in ways they did not expect.

Wristly is the largest independent Apple Watch research platform with an opt-in panel of around 1000 Apple Watch buyers. The research firm recently found the Apple Watch to have a 97% customer satisfaction rate, a number that Apple CEO Tim Cook cited during the company's recent third quarter earnings results conference call.

Article Link: Apple Watch Leading to Healthy Lifestyle Changes Among Early Adopters
Has your lifestyle been to the doctor lately? I think not. I believe the word is healthful.

pittaman

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
San Jose, CA
I've definitely had this experience. When the watch is tracking your movements all day and showing you in measurable terms just HOW sedentary you are being, it's a real boot in the behind. It got me to start exercising more than I have in many years, and since I got mine I'm already down almost 12 pounds, and as a result have gotten FAR more cognizant of my food choices as well. It's easy to fall "off the wagon" with a fitness program when the journal is in the gym bag or drawer (or that handy app is closed). This one, though, shows me EVERY day where I am, so I have no excuses.

(Posted as I enjoy my lunch of a small sandwich and a soup, instead of the fast food I had been eating in prior months)
This. I am much more in tune with what I am doing fitness wise on a daily basis and have lost weight, my clothes are fitting better and I just feel better. In short, it has gently encouraged me to be more active on a daily basis. So . . . for me, the fitness trackers are a nice push to keep me moving, especially in retirement, when I am more prone to sit and lay for longer periods of time.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm sure the same could be said for that new treadmill or exercise bike that someone received for Christmas one year which now sits in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs. :)

Exactly, they need to do this survey in about a year to really see how the watch has affected the early adopters. It is too early to say anything now.

ChasInVictoria

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Victoria BC
It's the biggest reason I wish I wasn't waiting for Apple Watch 2. Waiting will hurt my health!

Worst excuse I've heard yet. I don't think Apple has the slightest intention of releasing a revamped model of Apple Watch* hardware until there are BIG advances on several fronts of technology that promise to make the product totally different than the one out now. I believe they are treating this like the "unibody" technology -- no significant hardware changes planned for the foreseeable, upgrades mostly handled through software or incremental internal changes. The Apple Watch isn't an iPhone that changes design every two years.

*I'm excluding the possibility of Apple offering a new metal casing or some other non-revolutionary additional models using the existing design.

Can you and your health really afford to wait another four or five years for this alleged "Apple Watch 2"?

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
So happy to hear this. It looks like it can motivate you on several levels: exercise, food intake, need for movement.

I was hoping the glucose intake would be addressed soon. When do you suppose Apple Watch 2 will be ready?
I can't wait.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm sure the same could be said for that new treadmill or exercise bike that someone received for Christmas one year which now sits in the basement collecting dust and cobwebs. :)

I disagree. While I've only had my Apple Watch since launch (and have worn it daily) I had a FitBit before that, and wore it daily too. Wearables are different.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
When my watch tells me to stand up, I often do. A few moments afterwards, it tells me I have added another hour to my stand goal. Today, for example, the activity app on my phone says I have stood for 5 out of 12 hours.

I have maybe stood for 90 minutes max today.

Why does the watch seem to think I am standing so much?!

It's not telling you that you stood for 5 hours. It's telling you that you stood up and moved around for 1 minute in every hour for 5 hours.

kunia

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
Worst excuse I've heard yet. I don't think Apple has the slightest intention of releasing a revamped model of Apple Watch* hardware until there are BIG advances on several fronts of technology that promise to make the product totally different than the one out now. I believe they are treating this like the "unibody" technology -- no significant hardware changes planned for the foreseeable, upgrades mostly handled through software or incremental internal changes. The Apple Watch isn't an iPhone that changes design every two years.

*I'm excluding the possibility of Apple offering a new metal casing or some other non-revolutionary additional models using the existing design.

Can you and your health really afford to wait another four or five years for this alleged "Apple Watch 2"?

Apple Watch is not a watch. It's a device, a mini Ipod you strap to your wrist. Nothing else, nothing more. I'd be stupid for Apple to treat it any different. This is not some fancy watch with precise gearing that's suppose to last decades. Technology changes fast, things get smaller, faster, better. 4, 5 years? By then this Apple Watch will be a relic.

Reactions: Night Spring

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
He's also much older. Sorry that you feel the need to project your personal lack of dedication to your own health to everyone else though.

Not really sure how it's different than projecting one's dedication to their own health to everyone else. I don't know why anyone should care. Are you gluten free, too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.