Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, rumors suggested that Apple plans to eliminate leather cases for the iPhone 15 lineup, and today we are hearing that Apple Watch leather bands may also soon be phased out as part of a fresh sustainability push by Apple.

hermes-single-tours-2022.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes that Apple will "begin moving away from leather on its Apple Watch bands as well," which, as he rightly notes, puts the future of Apple's partnership with luxury brand Hermès in question.

Adding weight to this assumption, Gurman reports that last month Apple began offering employees its Apple Watch Hermès leather accessories and leather link bands at heavily discounted prices – in some cases up to 90% off – in a clear indication that Apple is clearing its inventory.

Gurman offers the example of Apple Hermès bands with a retail price of $850 – likely the Noir Swift Leather Gourmette (Metal) Double Tour – being offered to staff for $85. The internal deal is said to be continuing even though many Hermès bands are officially out of stock.

hermes-Noir-Swift-Leather-Gourmette-Metal-Double-Tour.jpg
Hermès Noir Swift Leather Gourmette (Metal) Double Tour

"Several other accessories including many Solo Loop bands in outgoing colors and the MagSafe charging dock [sic] are also on deep discount to clear stock," added the reporter in a Twitter (X) post, suggesting these too are set to be replaced imminently. (Note: It's not yet clear which MagSafe charger Gurman is referring to here.)

Last week we reported on rumors suggesting Apple intends to offer leather-alternative iPhone 15 cases with a woven fabric look, under the case moniker "FineWoven." If this is accurate, Apple would presumably sell silicone cases and the new "FineWoven" cases, replicas of which have been shared online.
A leather alternative that is fabric-based would have a smaller carbon footprint than a case made from traditional cowhide, and it would be more environmentally friendly. Indeed, Gurman speculates that sustainability will be a "larger than normal" part of Apple's "Wonderlust" September 12th event, where it is expected to unveil its new iPhone 15 lineup, Apple Watch Series 9, and a second-generation Apple Watch Ultra, among other possible new products.

Article Link: Apple Watch Leather Bands May Be Discontinued for Series 9

Last edited:

jchatwood

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Vicenza
This drives me crazy - I’m a leather technician and if people understood leather is made from taking a byproduct (waste, if you like) of the meat industry, and reusing it as a sustainable, long lasting material. What do we think happens if we don’t use these hides for leather - they go to landfill 🤷‍♂️ I’m all for apple creating different bands/using different materials, but don’t tell me something synthetic, bound by acrylics, is going to be more sustainable and better for the environment. The move by apple for sure is to appear ‘greener’ to certain consumers, but in reality will come down to cost savings.

I see people commenting that they are all for saving animals - but animals typically used for leather (Bovine) are never killed for the hides - they are killed for the meat.

These animals will be slaughtered if apple makes leather bands or not.

mongobongo

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
This drives me crazy - I’m a leather technician and if people understood leather is made from taking a byproduct (waste, if you like) of the meat industry, and reusing it as a sustainable, long lasting material. What do we think happens if we don’t use these hides for leather - they go to landfill 🤷‍♂️ I’m all for apple creating different bands/using different materials, but don’t tell me something synthetic, bound by acrylics, is going to be more sustainable and better for the environment. The move by apple for sure is to appear ‘greener’ to certain consumers, but in reality will come down to cost savings.

I see people commenting that they are all for saving animals - but animals typically used for leather (Bovine) are never killed for the hides - they are killed for the meat.

Great take, important perspective.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark

Great perspective! Greenwashing can sometimes be super frustrating! And if you take good care of your leather boots, straps, bags etc. they will last a lifetime - no canvas straps etc. will come close

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Lets face it, animals are reared and killed for us to eat. Leather is a byproduct/waste from the butchering process, so what better way to use this byproduct than to create things from it. The more companies that ditch leather in a bid to appear more sustainable, the more leather is going to be put in landfill. Pointless decision in my opinion.

jchatwood

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
Vicenza
The only downside to leather are the chemicals from the tannery. That’s what concerns me most. If Apple could work to reduce them, they could be on to a winner. But animal hides are much better for the environment than plastics.
I completely agree - but many companies, including where I work, are actively developing bio based technologies to tan leather, free of heavy metals and glutaraldehyde - the leather industry is changing for the better!

W2u7Yw4HaD

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005

Wholy agree and was going to comment the same.. If we can not raise to kill them, then I can see this move would make sense. Eventually, humanity will realize killing and eating animals is unethical, and lab-grown meat will be the way forward I think.

I suspect lab-grown leather will eventually be possible also, so win-win there....

I suspect we will look back someday and say they were savages back in 2023 still... Understandably, we aren't there yet wholly for lab-grown stuff..

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Gotta follow the trend, while this usually is produced from animals processed for food…. Looks like synthetic products it is now though.

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I’m with the majority here, disappointed at the disappearance of leather and it’s replacement by no doubt inferior synthetic materials (which will probably some kind of plastic made with oil).

The synthetic materials Apple are already using in the loops are disappointing quality and don’t wear well at all. Whereas I’ll be able to use my Hermes bands for as long as the connecter is in place - and probably for years thereafter with the inevitable adapter.

And I bet the replacements are closer in price to the leather bands while being completely inferior too.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Do you really think an animal gets only killed for its skin? This is basically re-using „waste“ of said animal that is already dead for other reasons (meat)
Nope. It’s all economics. The industry bakes in the total value of an animal so when you take away demand the value decreases so fewer get farmed. Stepping back though. In 2023 do we really want dead animal skins protecting our devices?

french-fries

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2023

This argument is absurd. Whether meat is a byproduct of leather or the opposite is just a matter of money and perspective. The companies that produce and kill these animals make a profit off of these abused animals, and the profit comes from different sources: meat, hair, skin, bones, etc...

These all make these industries viable and allow for more animals to be abused and our environment to be destroyed.

To think that cows would not be (or are not) killed solely for their leather is also very naive when you look at what people are doing for fur and other types of leather / skin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.