Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I prefer to like any product (Apple included) because I want to, not because some other is telling me that I should because is trendy.
Real great products speak for themselves, just look at Apple long list of successful items. iPod, iPhone, iPad, to name a few, were great even if they didn't tell you this. This watch (that may sell billions for what I care) seems to me like something (wish my English was better) thrown at customers, not shown and made available

Oh please. What about the very successful iPod silhouette campaign that featured famous artists music. How about Apple partnering with U2 and Madonna on special edition iPods. Or most recently buying Beats whose headphones became popular in part because so many pop stars and athletes were seen using them. If Apple can get big name fashion influencers to push :apple:Watch and that in turn helps drive sales all the better for Apple. Since the Watch is still a work in progress from a software/features perspective all Apple can push right now is the fashion aspect.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh please. What about the very successful iPod silhouette campaign that featured famous artists music. How about Apple partnering with U2 and Madonna on special edition iPods. Or most recently buying Beats whose headphones became popular in part because so many pop stars and athletes were seen using them. If Apple can get big name fashion influencers to push :apple:Watch and that in turn helps drive sales all the better for Apple. Since the Watch is still a work in progress from a software/features perspective all Apple can push right now is the fashion aspect.

Indeed. All they can promote now is form over function :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
These are two men that are FOCUSED on design, looks, etc?

Nobody has to wear a tux,etc.... but these two appear to go out of their way to look like somebody selling watches for the dollar store.

How is that different than Steve Jobs who stood up on stage in tennis shoes and jeans?

----------

Indeed. All they can promote now is form over function :)

Nah, form over function is making a "smartwatch" round just because analog watch faces are round. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How is that different than Steve Jobs who stood up on stage in tennis shoes and jeans?

I'm not quire sure you can equate the two. Jonny Ive is not Steve Jobs. Different people. Different personalities. Different public perceptions.

----------

----------

Nah, form over function is making a "smartwatch" round just because analog watch faces are round. :)

You missed my tongue in cheek comment. Function - as in - the watch does not function yet.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
$1,200

Estimating that the Edition phone will be $1,200 is funny. I suspect that it will be much more expensive than that. What is the point of making something out of a luxury material like solid gold and then pricing it at a level that the upper middle class can afford? That hardly is going to be make it a sought after device. Why not price it at $12,000? Sure you will sell less, but then it will be a REAL luxury item that sends a message or REAL status. Sure you won't sell that many. But instead of getting $400 profit from each sale, you will get $9,000 from each sale. And you might not sell that many less of these devices.

I don't know if the Edition will be over $10,000. But I don't think it is just going to be an incremental increase in price over the steal version. Especially since we see in the luxury watch industry that the solid gold version is always MUCH more expensive than the steal version of a watch.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Fashion: Where the most idiotic dressed people are considered geniuses at making clothes. "Here we have the 2015 bag over the head look." :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not quire sure you can equate the two. Jonny Ive is not Steve Jobs. Different people. Different personalities. Different public perceptions.

Of course they're different people but Ive has never had the reputation of being a 'sharp dressed man'. That could be said about most Apple executives who show up on stage in jeans and untucked shirts. :p

You missed my tongue in cheek comment. Function - as in - the watch does not function yet.

No I knew exactly what you meant. :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Did Ivy gain weight?

I know he was never a skinny guy, but is it me or does it seem that he recently gained weight? Must be all that fastfood take out working late at Apple :rolleyes:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
18K is not solid gold.

Okay, technically right. I'm trying to differentiate it from being gold plated.

I think this is going to be much more expensive than $1,200. That seems laughable. Why release a gold edition if you aren't going to get incredible margins off of it?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This website sells Mobiado feature phones at 2000 + Euros.

Its nice that they're giving Apple the time of day, maybe cashing in on the high news of the time. But seriously, these high fashion people (I'm guessing here of course) don't want some riffraff common phone that you can buy at your local appliance store, and the watch isn't autonomous, you need an iPhone.

This, will be short lived in the fashionista domain.

Apple isn't exclusive, Apple is a commodity.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
Oh, please.. It's my personal opinion, expressed in non native language, and states that I dont't like the way things are turning at this moment at Apple.I may be nostalgic or old-fashioned (pardon the joke) but I liked good old times more than I like Apple now. And the trillion dollars pile they're sitting on it's theirs, not mine. So my life may be better with better Apple products, not with richer Apple bank accounts. And as the argument is "personal taste", reflects my freedom to choose whether to wear purple trousers, green shoes paired with a yellow jacket or not.

SwissMac2

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Switzerland
Bloodyell Jony, get a decent shirt that fits and iron it, man! I can see you concentrated on flattening the collar but forgot the creases and short length. Too many fashion lunches?

I love your watch idea but for clothes you need a guru to help you, like Steve got himself!

AndrewClarke

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Fashion

I try not to say mean things about people, but I thought people dressed like Anna Wintour only showed up in sitcoms like Ugly Betty, not actually in Real Life.

Yikes! And sunglasses indoors? Seriously? Is she trying to be a caricature of herself? It's just so ... impractical.

I am so unfashionable.

Edit: On a positive note, it makes me happy that Marc Newson looks like he didn't even sort of try. Awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.