Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Spotify has started rolling out support for standalone streaming through the Spotify app for Apple Watch. With the new feature, Spotify users can listen to music or podcasts from Spotify over WiFi or cellular without having to have an iPhone nearby.

spotify-apple-watch.jpg

There has been a Spotify Apple Watch app available for the past few years, but the standalone streaming option is new. Spotify has been testing the feature for a few months, and prior to now, listening to Spotify required an iPhone even on Apple Watch models with standalone cellular connections.

Spotify Music can be streamed directly from the Apple Watch to Bluetooth headphones, which is ideal in situations where the iPhone isn't needed such as exercising.

The feature continues to be available in a beta capacity and is not available for all users at this time, but Spotify has confirmed that it is "rolling out" as of today. German site Macerkopf.de first spotted the change, which was confirmed by TechCrunch.

"We're focused on developing experiences that enable users to listen to Spotify wherever and whenever they want - regardless of the device or platform. After an initial testing period, we are now rolling out streaming capabilities for Spotify on the Apple Watch," a spokesperson told TechCrunch.
It may take some time for the new standalone streaming option to be available to all Apple Watch owners. The Spotify app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Watch Now Supports Standalone Spotify Streaming

Reactions: JKAussieSkater

Ghivi01

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2017
What about WhatsApp for Apple Watch? Facebook complained so much the Apple allow and it has been released for over a year now and they have not done anything!!! Does anybody have any news about that?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
For clarification "Apple Watch Now Supports Standalone Spotify Streaming", nothing changed on the Apple Watch, the change was that Spotify improved their app (about time). therefore the title is not only misleading, but wrong, it always supported the streaming, the Spotify app was just not good enough. How about: "Spotify app on Apple Watch now supports streaming"? yah, OK then

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Took them FOREVER to finally add a Watch app in the first place. I don't use my watch without my phone nearby, so it has never been a problem, but it was a nice surprise when I noticed the beta feature a few months ago. It's nice they are finally rolling it out to everyone else that would find it more useful than I do. Now, if they could just make it so you can queue songs from the watch, I would be completely satisfied with the watch app at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.