Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mack813 macrumors member

thanks too bad i would never pay that much for a watch with technology in it. Nice band tho wouldnt be surprised if there is a knock off version of it on amazon lol

2. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I love the Watch, but, if it had Siri control for the Apple TV, that would be amaaazing!

3. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

The AW3 LTE version has something to do with this. Most of my friends who likes to run love their AW3 LTE. They all swear by it and have left their phone at home to go running and never miss a call or a text. This was a brilliant option for runners and bikers alike, who just hate their phone juggling in their pockets or that horrible armband idea. Great job Apple!

4. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I’m trying to hold out with my series 0 watch till September. I hope they finally redesign it.

5. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Still a niche product. Apple is in better shape than other vendors because some people might be buying the watch to "complete their Apple ecosystem" or as gifts and not for real needs. This will wear off. The jury is still out for this category (not just for Apple Watch)

6. lunarworks macrumors 68000

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said ‘faster horses.’" - Henry Ford

7. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

No joke, just yesterday I was at a Dollar Tree and saw Apple Watch Sport on the wrists of all three cashiers. It’s clearly hit that tipping point where it’s not just for “sheep” or luxury users, and all the people crying initially about the pricing ended up being wrong.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Interesting. Wonder what really drives this?
    When I switched from an iPhone to a Razer, I bought the Samsung Gear Sport. Better than the Apple Watch 2 Nike I was using.

9. MacBebe macrumors regular

Of course, that is your opinion. If Fenix watches are really better, it should have outsold all other smartwatches, right?

10. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

{This message brought to you by Blackberry.} ;)

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The apple ecosystem is what drives it

12. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

They can be better for specific use cases, absolutely. AW is much more general use, but like all things, specialized gear can be superior depending on the need and situation.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I was in a rush last night and forgot my phone.
    Had my series 3 edition and my airpods in the truck, all was good. 17 texts, 3 phone calls good.

14. truthertech macrumors 68000

Same group that said the Homepod is "too late," and Amazon and Google have "already won" the smart speaker market. I guess we will see if their unbroken track record of predicting doom holds to form.

15. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

To be fair, HomePod has a fatal flaw: Siri. I don’t see it taking off until that’s improved.

16. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

I am not sure what you mean but AW may go the route of Blackberry. It's probably unlikely. It does have real use for some so it can persist. It's just not clear if Apple is going to stick with it. Once the progress slows down people may stay with their watches for many years (as they normally do with regular watches). There is not much to add to this watches beyond LTE. Personally, I do not believe in the medical applications. What else is there?

17. MacBebe macrumors regular

I am an Apple gadget freak, but I don't buy Apple product just for the heck of it. I swim and bike a lot. My AW series 2 is worth every penny I paid for it and only come off my wrist when I go to sleep at night.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    I am pretty sure it improves over time.

18. truthertech macrumors 68000

Product out for three years and sales just keep booming higher, but it will "wear off." I guess eventually every product is replaced. I also guess it's a "niche" product when you are dealing within the Apple world. In the rest of the world, selling tens of millions of a product each year would be seen as a hugely successful and large market.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

You seem to be implying that smartwatches have taken off. I'd disagree. Is anybody buying an Apple Watch for the apps? It seems like people are just buying them to have watches with some basic features (read text messages, see alerts, see the time, track their heart rate.) App developers have noticed and stopped making apps for it.

20. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

____ today..apple stock is down almost three points....being sucessful in the market is not enough for wall street.

21. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

I understand that. But how many people swim and bike? Not that many (BTW you can swim without it :)) And since the new models are not going to add much (if anything) to your biking and swimming experience, are you going to buy them?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    AW does not do much for the AAPL bottom line. It probably has some positive effect for the "ecosystem" in that it some people may buy iPhone because it works with AW.

22. truthertech macrumors 68000

Sounds like, if you believe the analysts, it has already taken off and that's with it being sold in just three countries at a fairly high price. As far as Siri, the Homepod will actually improve Siri's unfairly maligned reputation because for the first time she has industry leading voice recognition with the six beam forming mics instead of relying on a tiny mic in the phone. And, while it is just one study, the Loop Ventures test said that when you take out the tasks in the domains that Siri can already do very well on the iPhone, but that haven't been activated in the initial roll out by Apple, Siri did BETTER than Alexa and Cortana and pretty close to Google.

23. Ribitsch macrumors member

series 3 is probably the first with real nice battery time, this was the reason I skipped gen 0,1 and 2
    but I'm completely satisfied with it :)

24. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Apple watch sells well, because it's the only smart watch that works properly with an iPhone, it doesn't need a support app like other watches that claim to support iPhone. And those apps are limited anyway in what information they can present, and of course cannot interact with other apps on the phone due to Apple's sandboxing.

If I had an Android phone, I'm sure I'd be happy with one of the Android Wear options, because there are many to choose from many designs much better than Apple's, and very customizeable.

I mean duh Apple, we're on the 4th version of WatchOS, 3rd generation of the Watch itself, and still we cannot have developers design custom watch faces? This is where the Apple Watch stinks. Zero customization beyond the few built in options.

25. WilliamG macrumors G3

If Apple can come up with something special for glucose monitoring without any other devices needed, it will upend the industry COMPLETELY.